Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Faq/Walkthrough section?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should Castle Paradox have a Walkthroughs section for games?
Yes, by all means.
96%
 96%  [ 24 ]
No, what we have is sufficient.
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 25

Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews and walkthroughs are completely different things, there should be no overlap in each of their roles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walkthroughs don't give you an idea of what the game will be like, they tell you what to do. Seriously, read one of the reviews here. You'll get a solid idea of what the game that was reviewed will be like. That's what reviews are for. In short, reviews are for reviewing, and walkthroughs are for walking you through the game.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
Sorry, I just had a sudden impulse to do that.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chocobo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, not really. Walkthroughs might guide you through the game, but they also are more in depth and give a more detailed idea about the game. Reviews are suppose to be just a little taste of the game. They are different things.
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of anybody who reads walkthroughs before playing the game. But if it's good for 2 things, then that's twice the reason to get a walkthrough section.

Besides, say we got a walkthrough section and only 3 were submitted. That's still 3 walkthroughs that you otherwise wouldn't have otherwise. The glass is half full, people.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Chocobo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go Squall...I totally agree with you on that one.
Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea...walkthroughs are only needed to help if someone has a problem. in my opinion, reviews tell you whether you should play the game or not. If you should, chances are it wotn be that hard. So i'm not sure if a walkthrough is really in order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moonbuggie
Graphics Designer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea...walkthroughs are only needed to help if someone has a problem. in my opinion, reviews tell you whether you should play the game or not. If you should, chances are it wotn be that hard. So i'm not sure if a walkthrough is really in order.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Chocobo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, people are bound to miss some parts of the game. RPG's, even OHR's, usually have stuff that can easily be missed and a walkthrough section would be the place to fully complete the game. I doubt anyone can fully complete the game, have every item, etc... I know that I would like to complete a game that is fully finished. A review section can give a a tiny portion of the game, and I doubt can help some one finish the game completely. I also think there are people out there who have trouble with some of these games. You might think they are very oblivious, but its a true fact that you have to face. I don't know anyone, but I'm sure there are people out there.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the original question (since I haven't bothered to read anything else in this thread), I say go for it. It should be interesting to have a FAQ/WAlkthrough section around here. Perhaps a place I could contribute to...

Last edited by Uncommon on Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Right now, if you want to contribute to the community, all you can really do is make a game or write a review. I'm all for any other means of contributing.

I hope IM, CN, or Aeth is reading this.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only walkthroughs I know of are for FFH and Walthros, though there may be some more out there. Still, Chocobo, I have never known anyone that reads a walkthrough before getting a game. Almost all walkthroughs, both ones made by a person and by companies NEVER tell you anything that would help you decide if you want the game. They give you step-by-step instructions. I don't see how 'Walk North to the village. You may want to stock up on some healing items before going to the Mystic Cave' compares to a review that tells you ABOUT the game. All the walkthrough tells you about the game there is that the boss in the Mystic Cave (or the enemies) may be difficult and you may want some potions or whatever. That is NOT a deciding factor in whether you want to get a game. That is a deciding factor in whether you want to buy some potions. All the other reasons are good, except this one, because walkthroughs just DO NOT give an opinion on a game, or any references to other things so you could figure out more about what it's like, they just give you simple to follow instructions. Unless the person who made it is being paid by the people who made the game or REALLY wants to advertise, but you can tell when you have those ones because they generally sound ludicrous compared to what you may have heard about the game elsewhere, and because you just DON'T see that sort of thing in normal walkthroughs.
Chocobo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know some interesting people, because I know tons of people who read walkthroughs before games. I don't know what kind of walkthroughs u are reading, but the ones I read catch my intrest. A walkthrough can tell you many things. It can tell you facts about the game that you might be interested in. You can tell how long and complicated the game is. You don't want a boring game in which you just journey through and your done. You want side quests and more. They do not always give you step by step instructions. They also give hints and points of interest. Rolling Eyes
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squall, I've said twice I'm for it. I can maintain it, since I am probably the resident FAQ/Walkthrough writer here. Wink

Chocobo - Reading a walkthrough before you play a game spoils the game (and not just in the story area). I don't know anyone who reads walkthroughs before playing a game, and it makes no sense to me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying u read the whole walkthrough, just bits an parts that are interesting. There is usually a table of contents that you could go to specific things.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: