Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hi guys (+ some random things that bother me)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes my definition might seem to differ from yours completely.
What disqualifies Boundless Ocean for me:
1. Only one hero

Dragon Warrior was the first console RPG ever. Guess it's not very traditional in that respect, though.

Quote:
2. Forging system (including the way it's working with negative effects)

Guess that rules out stuff like Final Fantasy X...

Quote:
3. Other 'special' ideas that aren't in traditional RPGs

...but then every FF except 1 and 4 are off the table anyway.

Quote:
4. The story (no "save the world" aspect)

Actually, this is your most valid point.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for returning late to the party. I don't have too much to add, except that one thing in particular kind of bugged me about your judgement, Rya:
Quote:
Good gameplay isn't everything, though. A game just needs to be good in all aspects. It's not that I only care about the graphics. If the graphics are awesome but the gameplay sucks, the game isn't good. If the gameplay is awesome but the graphics suck, the game isn't good either. While music and story are aspects you can somewhat ignore (play your own music during play and jump over the story), graphics and gameplay are something you can't ignore. Although I think music and story are important as well, not to give the wrong impression.

It makes it worse when you use the second-person, sounding like you are telling me what I can and cannot overlook. But anyway, my problem is that I've never understood how people could claim that something like graphics cannot be ignored, but seem to think that music and story can. Music I can MAYBE understand, but how is story more ignorable than graphics?

In my opinion, the graphics are ultimately just symbols, and if I can tell what they represent and they don't hurt my eyes then I can safely ignore their visual quality beyond that point. However, the story in an RPG is often instrumental in supplying the objectives for the player, much more so than the graphical qualities. If you mean that graphics are not ignorable in the sense that you could not play while closing your eyes, well then yes, I agree with you. But based on what you've said about the Top 30 (ignoring certain games just based on screenshots, when I know that next to nothing on that list sports graphics bad enough to actually hurt your retinas), it sounds a lot more like you somehow believe that mediocre graphics are less ignorable than a mediocre story, which I wholeheartedly disagree with.

All that said, I agree with the general point that for a game to be good, it really should be at least passable in all categories. And everyone has a different idea about what is passable. I'd also like to see more 'standard' RPGs (I'm trying to avoid this apparently difficult word of yours, 'traditional') made with the engine, and that is what I am working on now.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But there can't be an objective opinion about graphics or gameplay. So "I like it" and "it is good" can only be the same thing unless some kind of computer says it. Or even better, nobody is allowed to say "it is good" to begin with because nobody can judge it. Unless you define "it is good" as average opinion of all humans together.

You're right that there can't be an objective opinion. So what we need is something different from opinion: observation. Just think: what is the purpose of games? You appear to think that enjoyment is their purpose, which I disagree with*, but whatever the purpose is you can figure out a games's quality in the same way: does it more often succeed or fail in that purpose? This is not quite the same as averaging opinion, because a game which succeeds phenomenally with half of everyone but fails horribly with the other half has a different quality from a game which half-succeeds with everyone.

*Most games are designed with this purpose in mind, but the reason I disagree is that enjoyment is easy, anything can provide it from games to stories to exercise to food to sitting still. It's nice for a game to be enjoyable, I like that, but I don't think it's enough. I would say that the purpose of anything is that which it does better than anything else, what it does that nothing else can do.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think msw hits the nail on the head. Everything needs to be at least passable, not AAA-quality like Rya is wanting. I simply think that superb gameplay can live with passable graphics and story and make something a true classic.

(See games like Nethack, which proves msw's point about graphics being more useful for symbolic reasons than purely for eye candy).

I also don't limit gameplay to just action sequences. It can also encompass exploration. Silent Hill 2 is a great example where exploration is the beef of the gameplay, as the player is actually exploring the creepy atmosphere and being affected by it, as well as solving puzzles. Exploration is the part of gameplay that helped make Silent Hill 2 enjoyable when you're not viewing a cut scene, because the combat wasn't that difficult save for one boss (though beating down stuff can be pretty fun).

With that said, Vikings of Midgard meets all of the requirements to be an enjoyable game, and it is looking to be improved even more. Rya just has far too high of standards.

Going back to msw's point though, graphics, sound, and music do need to at least be acceptable, because anything less would likely just annoy the player.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
The good...graphics made grinding so enjoyable that I really had no problem grinding 5 hours straight and then I was even sad when I finished it already.

But the graphics were horrible! I know! I made some of them!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
@Surlaw
...For me 3D and tradional rpgs are a matter of definition.

This has nothing to do with like or dislike. 3D is not subjective. It's math. If something is built with X, Y, and Z coordinates, it is a 3D object, even if you can only see parts of it at a time.

Quote:
Surlaw wrote:
No, you can. Most people seem to hold independent games/movies/etc to a different standard than professional projects.

Well, not me. I won't play a game I don't enjoy, no matter if Squareenix or a 12 year old kid did it.

You can dislike what you want. But you have to PLAY IT before you can dismiss it. You can't look at a screenshot and say, "These graphics are bad, (or heaven forbid your HP Values tactic.) so I'm not going to enjoy this game." That's a foolish way to consider what you will enjoy. Many of my favorite games don't have masterful graphics (and some of those are commercial, mind you) but if I said, "The graphics in this game suck," then I wouldn't have found out what great games they are.

Now, granted, there's a brand of newb games that you can just look at and know the contents are going to be crap. I'm not excusing those. But you can't tell me that any of the games on the Top 30 look like those.

Quote:
I clearly said that I didn't download some because of the screenshots already (this also includes the dialogue seen in the screenshots and the HP values for example).

Please re-read this and tell me it was a typo. Please. How can you even begin to judge a game's battle system by the HP values of characters in a screenshot?

Quote:
If the changes mean that the super talented people all left and now there are the default RPG maker users here with the only exception that they do their graphics on their own, then that's kinda sad. Because I originally liked the OHRRPGCE community because some members were just real geniuses.

But it doesn't matter too much, I'll keep playing the games that I enjoy and if I don't enjoy any OHR games I won't play any OHR games anymore, that won't really let me leave a community, though. I can still help others as I offered on the first page.

After two revisions of what I was going to say here, there's no way I can say this without feeling some sort of "You're being too mean" heat, so I'm just going to leave you with this thought:

If you sit around waiting for caviar in a soup house, you're going to starve to death. Take what is presented to you, and you may just find you like it.

(Granted, this metaphor sounds quite extreme, and in my opinion isn't truly reflective of what goes on here, but I have to come up to your high horse to try and put this in perspective. Though I'm sure it will fall on deaf ears anyway.)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon wrote:
Rya.Reisender wrote:
The good...graphics made grinding so enjoyable that I really had no problem grinding 5 hours straight and then I was even sad when I finished it already.

But the graphics were horrible! I know! I made some of them!

To be fair, the ending WAS really depressing. I was sad when I finished it, too.
WUT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding it really amusing I keep getting brought up in the context of graphic arts and sprite work. I'd like to thank those who did, but frankly I've still got room for improvement. After all, I'm only an amateur graphics artist.

Before this goes even further off track, I'd like to point out that amateur games should be compared with other games in their field, rather than some game with an actual budget and comparatively high production costs. You don't compare something a high school student does with the work of a group of talented professional artists, they're in totally different tiers of skill. If we should be comparing OHRRPGCE games to anything, then let them be OHRRPGCE games. The moment you compare one of our amateur developed games to a budgeted game such as Final Fantasy, or Dragon Warrior, you're automatically assuming a level of competence and dedication that far exceeds that of most OHR developers, let alone a beginning game designer.

As far as my opinion on art goes, and whether 2D is better than 3D, or whether one is superior to the other - I view both forms of media as equally valid means to express an artist's intentions. I lean more towards 2D art, being similar to what I was trained to use in School and College, but that's only habit speaking. A person who makes a living in illustration studies BOTH, not out of preference, but to improve one's skill in their chosen media.

Finally, I can't say I ever remember playing any of Rya's games. I will go on the record and say I don't much care for games that end up being grindfests, or those that involve lengthy fetch-quests for the sake of just adding more time to the game clock. And games that literally scream "DESU DESU DESU" or have an unnatural and unneeded emphasis on Japanese culture just for the sake of having an anime aesthetic don't hold my interest for long at all. I'm hoping Rya's games weren't saturated with content like these, otherwise I may play them.

Actually, I have no idea who Rya is. Apologies.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised to find that I was mentioned here. Just so you guys know, the next release of Bloodlust will probably be out tomorrow (Sunday). I couldn't get myself to find a workable portrait style, so the one I decided to do is displayed on my avatar. It's still animeish, but feels less cartoony and more serious than what I had before.

I too, have no idea who Rya is. I've been around since the 4 map Custom days, but I don't recall ever seeing you around, dude. If you're going to play my game, I suggest you wait until the new release, because the old one is very outdated.

Oh, I have a question for you, Rya. You basically said a game has to be good in all aspects or you won't want to play it. SOO what if you start playing a game and then find out its music is atrocious? Do you panic? Your argument, while you are entitled to your own opinion, is very contradictory and puzzling. OHR House for example, doesn't have great graphics at all, but it has a really interesting and funny story. You even said yourself that you find amateur games have better storyline and gameplay in terms of originality.

...So, if you automatically won't give a game a chance because maybe the GRAPHICS are lacking, then like... how will you ever find a game that has what you want?

Also has far as my list of games are concerned, I wouldn't recommend any of them, they're all more like landmarks. Duke's Quest was my first first game, Xerian was my first turning point, Kitty's Story came after, the Eight Granasties was my first completed game with a weak story and gameplay. Bloodlust is my current work which I hope will surpass (most) my shortcomings. The others are quick play games that are really more about certain ideas than anything.

Perhaps you just have a more narrow and specific taste Rya, but judging from all the previous posts, you're not making that clear very well.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Rya, Hi! How's it been? As you can see, I'm still here, and you didn't seem like the sort of person that's likely to just disappear permanently either.

Hmm, I totally forgot that I offered to work on Endless Evil Zero, but I do remember you discussing details of the game extensively, I just forgot why, hahah. Suddenly I remember we had really ambitious plans for things that probably still haven't been done on the OHR. Sorry if my lack of time had anything to do with killing it back then. Looks like you won't be needing a plotscripter any more though.

I've just realised that someone to discuss/work on the gameplay is just what I need - when I eventually resume that game. (BTW, do you still have the t-online.de email address?) Not that I'm recruiting you, just discussing ideas would be a massive help, and I don't plan to start on it for many months anyway.

These forums seem to be slow largely because people don't have anything to post about. Most users have turned into lurkers. As you can see from this thread, there's a lot of people around who only occasionally bother to post. JSH's right about site downtime having seriously dented activity.

I'm on IRC nearly all the time, though lately I've been turning my computer off at night to save electricity. IRC activity, for years, is always reaching new lows, and now nearly nobody chats in #castleparadox. There are a couple more active channels with mostly OHR users in them, but not much OHR discussed.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie Power wrote:
Next, gameplay is more important than graphics (for a lot of games) because graphics become outdated far more easily than gameplay does.

I disagree on the second part. As more games are made in a genre with hind sight of old ones, the gameplay of the oldest titles can become stale or compare worse (a lot of retrospective reviews on early OHR game lately complain about the gameplay, level grinding has gone out of fashion Rya (and yes, fashion is the right word)), while there's still nothing wrong with the graphics: if they are functional and not ugly (by your own standards, however, and that's something that's moved), they won't detract from the game. ASCII graphics from 1979 are still fine with me.

Surlaw wrote:
Quote:
Other games however often really feel like "I can't do any high-quality game so I just make a joke game" and I can only enjoy very few of them.

Examples.

The terrible game contests. They exist because if you start a contest to make high quality games, you get abysmal turnout - nobody has the effort to spare. Everyone gladly creates bad games for these because you can skip the hard parts, but they are not normally fun (I've sinned especially at this.)

Calehay wrote:
Rya.Reisender wrote:
@Surlaw
...For me 3D and tradional rpgs are a matter of definition.

This has nothing to do with like or dislike. 3D is not subjective. It's math. If something is built with X, Y, and Z coordinates, it is a 3D object, even if you can only see parts of it at a time.

Actually, from your description, I can't understand whether you meant a game world with (apparent or internal) height positions, or the use of 3D graphics rendering, or a game which renders with perspective the 3D geometry of the game world. Rya's comments were really ambiguous, and you and I might disagree on the definition of a "3D video game". Is The Sims 3D? Diablo 2? Castle Wolfenstein 3D? Lineality Raspberry!?

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
If we should be comparing OHRRPGCE games to anything, then let them be OHRRPGCE games.

It might be healthy to compare OHR games with other amateur games, or with other indie games if that's the quality band you're in (some aim there)
Rinku

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see you again Rya. Hope you stick around.

As for not liking you so much, I was mainly disturbed that, back then, you were 18 and had a 13 year old girlfriend, which might be common in Germany but it raises eyebrows a bit in the US.

I doubt I'm that famous on gamer circles. I'm only barely in the 'my reputation precedes me for 1 person out of a million' stage. I'd prefer not to be, but it's probably unavoidable as my games become more well-known.

I don't have much to say about the main content of this thread, but a few points:

- The retro aesthetic is indeed very big, Cave Story gave it a big boost and now more than half of all indie games tend to be retro in style. I agree that it's not dominant over most mainstream gamers, but there's now a very sizable portion of people who like retro games who didn't exist a few years ago.

- I actually agree with Rya about the good games on that Top 30 list, but I've always had a bias for games that take themselves seriously.

- Rya, I suggest you play Sword of Jade if you haven't, as an example of what the Ohrrpgce can do. And don't just play the intro, get a few hours into it (it's 23 hours long or so).

- I kind of think gameplay, story, and graphics and that type of categorization isn't really too useful. I think it's far better to take games on a case by case basis, judge them each as their own game, instead of comparing abstract qualities like those. The most important thing to me about a game is how many things it has that I find interesting. I don't care if those interesting things are part of the game's rules, part of the visuals, or part of the dialogue, or part of anything else, just as long as they're there. And the more there are of them, the more I like a game.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having a mental struggle with ambiguous terms like those for a while. To be fair, those aspects can certainly be judged individually, as they are more or less developed independently from each other.

Rinku's idea works but It's a tad unorthodox for mass implementation. Let's see how the idea catches on. Personally, I never do reviews. I promise to do one eventually. But going back to my point If you read this article from The Escapist, you'd get an idea of what really grinds my gears. I wish I had a checklist of relevant materials to consider, but I don't. What a shame.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I disagree on the second part. As more games are made in a genre with hind sight of old ones, the gameplay of the oldest titles can become stale or compare worse (a lot of retrospective reviews on early OHR game lately complain about the gameplay, level grinding has gone out of fashion Rya (and yes, fashion is the right word)),
If older OHRRPGCE games have stale gameplay by today's standards, then those aren't the games I'm talking about. A game like Super Mario Bros. or Dragon Warrior 4 are games I more had in mind in that sort of argument, since they are still incredibly fun to play even compared to new games.

Quote:
while there's still nothing wrong with the graphics: if they are functional and not ugly (by your own standards, however, and that's something that's moved), they won't detract from the game. ASCII graphics from 1979 are still fine with me.
I agreed with msw that functional graphics are a more important goal than AAA-quality graphics.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: