Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn. I would miss out on the experience.
"Logic is such a cruel mistress...'"

Ok. I will rest and let the big kids talk now.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mountains are moved... One stone at a time.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject: Don't sit too close to the microwave, kids Reply with quote

Let's just ignore for a minute the money and negotiations required for getting a game released on a console, and focus on one key question:

WHY would we want to put an OHR Game on a console? I don't mean to crush any dreams here, but this isn't an engine you're going to be making money with. You can make lots of fun games with it, and probably impress your friends and some internet people with it, and there's no reason you might not make some money (Maybe 30 or 40 dollars total, if you're real lucky) like the old shareware designers did, but nothing you make with this engine is going to be on the shelf with a fifty dollar price tag next to whatever EA's latest cash cow is.

Now of course, let's suppose you want to put an OHR Game on a console for your own enjoyment: Again, the question is why? If you want to play games on the TV, there's adapters and cables and videocards that support using a TV as a monitor, and I don't envision any advantages to running off of a console's processor and assembly language.

Someone suggested the GBA, and that it'd make James rich. The costs of a dev kit, publishing agreements and whatnot would probably bankrupt all of our piggy banks, and even if it was produced, wouldn't turn a whole lot of a profit, if any.

Your best use of the OHR is to gain experience, enjoy yourself, and see if Game Design is something you'd like to do professionally. It can be used to make great games, but most of them aren't going to be very marketable. Your best bet making money is to try and start some kind of a fad, and request donations, but even that's not too likely to succeed.

Don't give up your dreams, guys, and if you want to try, try, but you're barking up the wrong tree with this console business. There's no real advantages, and a whole bunch of disadvantages. Instead of trying to make a bad (or at least well below average) Mainstream game, try and make the best damn niche game you can, and use that experience to try and get a job in the game design field if you're so inclined.
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Homebrew console versions aren't necessarily out of the question, if we get a fairly portable C version going. There's no way I'd want to sell it, though, people have high expectations of things they pay for. There are commercial RPG makers around, though, particularly in Japan, like, er, RPG Maker.

Certainly I could see myself attempting some other homebrew handheld versions. I like programming for handhelds. Much nicer than Windows, where perfectly good code still doesn't work on some small subset of PCs. The main problem with the GBA is that the screen isn't big enough (240x160), and neither is the DS, at 256x192. The PSP is too much of a moving target. The only ones I can see it working on so far are the GP32 and GP2X, and hardly anyone has one of those. Happy
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeRoy_Leo wrote:
pkmnfrk wrote:
Yeah, all the console are HYPER-THREEDEE DO0D!!!!11 The OHR is about as opposite as you can get, with 256 colours and 2d.

Anyway, unless Nintendo decides to use an Intel i386 compatible processor, it's not happening.

Aren't I still able to play old school NES games on the Rev? Maybe I misunderstood something...

NES, SNES, N64, and GameCube will be playable on the Rev. (So far, GC games won't be downloadable, though, due to their gigantic size)

A lot of people have been getting Sega and Nintendo interested in talking with each other, so it is very possible we will also see Master System and Genesis games on there (Even though Dreamcast backwards-compatibility would be possible, allowing Rev to read CDs would create a huge backdoor for piracy, which Nintendo was able to pretty much kill with GameCube)

There will be at least all of Nintendo's first party games (SMB 1-3, Super Mario World1/2, Super Mario RPG, etc etc etc), and they're talking and getting third parties to put their games up for download, too. I can expect Midway for sure, as they put their games on everything (you can even play them for free on their website last time I checked).
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHC wrote:
FyreWulff wrote:
A lot of people have been getting Sega and Nintendo interested in talking with each other, so it is very possible we will also see Master System and Genesis games on there

Proof? I would assume Turner wouldn't want Sega's games on Nintendo's download service since they're a major selling point of Gametap.

There's a lot of services that sell games for download.

Just do a general search, and read gaming magazines. There's interviews where both Sega and Nintendo reps are asked about Genesis on Rev, and it's usually "that'd be nice" kinda response
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishbone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you make it windows compatable i will love you all forever

i cannot plotscript (sniff)
i can make music now(yes!)
i cannot plotscript (tear)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: