Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoTA
Idiomatic Nomenclature

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tgfcoder wrote:
What parts of Python are being used? The only graphics I've ever done with Python was in my MMORPG using Tkinter. Very strange things happened, I won't even start.

Non-standard libraries:

* PyGame for graphics+sound functions. Though that's not really important right now, as I am trying to get scripting going.

* PyGTK for editor GUI.

* Numeric (which provides fast efficient N-dimensional arrays)

* a modified sstruct (which provides a simple, readable way of IOing complex data structures.)

* many many of my own modules.

Standard ones:
*os
*sys
*time

Of course there are more -- these are just the result of a quick scan of the code.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally somthing I said sparked intelligent thought...

Everyone knows that the biggest add on that OHR would ever see that would make James & the warlords of OHR uber rich is an extension to put OHR games on a gameboy advance.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoTA wrote:

* PyGame for graphics+sound functions. Though that's not really important right now, as I am trying to get scripting going.

I had a feeling you'd youse PyGame. Great library if you figure out how to work it very efficiently scriptwise.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want Jorgumand just for the fact that I could have a tripleOS (Linux, Windows, Mac) CD for distributing Sword of Jade.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battleblaze wrote:
Finally somthing I said sparked intelligent thought...

Everyone knows that the biggest add on that OHR would ever see that would make James & the warlords of OHR uber rich is an extension to put OHR games on a gameboy advance.

As awesome as that would be, it would never happen, and further, even if by some chance one of us mastered ARM/THUMB GBA assembly, we wouldn't make any money off of it.

See, Nintendo only allows Nintendo licensed games on their systems (ditto for the other companies, but see the foot note for notes on XBox). To get a license, you A) have to be a game company and B) have a commercially viable game.

Now, XBox is special. In theory, we could in fact port the OHR to XBox. Freebasic supports XBox as a compile target. However, we wouldn't be able to use any third party libraries (since they likely don't support XBox), except perhaps FMODEX (but the console versions cost money, and the license is incompatible with the GPL). That in itself would make us go crazy trying to figure out how to do stuff on the Xbox.

Thusly, consoles won't be happening any time soon, if ever.

On the other hand, we said the same thing about windows OHR...

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Revolution would probably be the best bet, as Nintendo is supposedly going to make the entry cost to that system really low to attract small devs.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except, we can't compile to Revolution.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How would you know if you could or not? Nintendo's been so tight assed about Revolution specs it's gonna be hard to put a yes or no on anything. Its a long way off, but if a wide scale game creator like OHR could be on a console and shared through say... Nintendos WiFi net connection it could and most likely would change the face of console gaming.If OHR is evolving then OHR console would be its final form. Though its just a glint on the horizon, its a glint worth following.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't make James rich no matter what. I don't know how you figure that.

I also don't see it catching on in the mainstream, no matter what platform it becomes available on.
Technomancer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all the console are HYPER-THREEDEE DO0D!!!!11 The OHR is about as opposite as you can get, with 256 colours and 2d.

Anyway, unless Nintendo decides to use an Intel i386 compatible processor, it's not happening.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pkmnfrk wrote:
Yeah, all the console are HYPER-THREEDEE DO0D!!!!11 The OHR is about as opposite as you can get, with 256 colours and 2d.

Anyway, unless Nintendo decides to use an Intel i386 compatible processor, it's not happening.

Aren't I still able to play old school NES games on the Rev? Maybe I misunderstood something...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Linkmax
I'm an idiot.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be able to Leroy
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old-skool NES games and what not became popular in an era where they were the peak of technology. That era is long gone, but many still have fond memories of them. Thus, Nintendo will provide them for the Revolution to attract older gamers.

But, not so with the OHR. It's still being developed to this day, and new games are being released for it. Yes, some of them are high quality. But, it'll never become mainstream because no-one outside of the OHR community will play them, because they're neither what they were practically nursed on, nor are they "Hyper Three-DEE d00d!"

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we, the community, puts our heads together, gets a business representitive, and organizes a little, I bet we could provide a decent game to the Rev. It's a pipe dream, but it's not impossible. Just barely possible... Come to think of it, that would be complicating, but very worth the scolding we'd get- er- I mean the attention. Good or bad, there is no wrong kind of attention.

All I want is to be able to play OHR games on the Rev. Even if it means hacking into it, or some other fould play. Big grin

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, Leroy, they've basically been saying it's not going to happen. If you can get a Revolution devkit, do what you like, but I wouldn't waste it on an OHR game if I were you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: