Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hi guys (+ some random things that bother me)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
That's absurd that I should stop posting here now only because some people don't understand me. >_>

Every time I see your name and that avatar, I'm going to think of this thread.

I don't think you should stop posting, but realize that's how it is. First impressions count.
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that for some reason, there is an over-analysis of the specifics of what's being said that are causing you to be alienated a little bit.

I think the best thing to do in the future would be to be really careful with what you say, and remember that this is the internet... People can go back and look at exactly what you said and use it against you... Even if you weren't really thinking that your words were going to be taken so seriously. It's understandable that you didn't think you were writing an essay on game creation (this is a forum, after all), but people are going to take your words too heart, especially if it's something they're passionate about. And if they're on this site, they're probably passionate about making games.

EDIT: If it makes you feel any better, you're definitely not the first person to inadvertently start a flame war by saying something they thought was harmless and getting a harsh response to it. Don't let it scare you off from this site. The people here are serious game makers and I've learned a lot from them.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drizzle wrote:
If it makes you feel any better, you're definitely not the first person to inadvertently start a flame war by saying something they thought was harmless and getting a harsh response to it.

< Ronin Catholic is two such people.

Anyway, I can agree with Rya on so many points here. But for me, graphics have never been anything more than icons. So long as I can sorta tell what they are, or even that they aren't something else, that's usually good enough for me.

I've never cared much for the third dimension; it always seemed kinda gimmicky to me, both from an aesthetic and a mechanical perspective. Most 3D games I've played had really sucky gameplay and graphics which were flashy, ugly, and became outdated a month later. There are a few gems to be found among all the crap, but the games of the PS1 and N64 will probably be remembered for a long time as some of the worst aboninations of the gaming industry.

Of course, I'm also the sprite artist that can't see the value of shading. Sorry, I just can't see what makes the SNES and Genesis supposedly "better" than the NES, graphics-wise.
When reading the opinions of any other person, especially online, you must take everything with at least a grain of salt.

When it comes to the story, I beleive that the story of the game should be subservient to the gameplay, and not the other way around. From my perspective, the story is just an excuse to string gameplay elements together. And when they outright contradict eachother(a la FF7) I think there's something seriously wrong.

Oh, I'm digressing.

[insert "my opinion is fact, yours is just opinion, don't criticize my opionion because opinion can't be criticized, hey, my game was good and X other game you liked wasn't post here]

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I prefer beautiful drawn trees and landscapes over 8-bit graphics usually. However games like Spellshard prove that 8-bit graphic can look pretty awesome.

I dislike 3D rather out of gameplay reason than graphics. Games with 3D graphics that have a 2D gameplay (Valkyrie Profile, Klonoa, Klonoa 2) are actually pretty enjoyable for me.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally managed to get my old favorite OHRRPGCE game list and added the new games I played to it. I also changed the order a bit, but only the first 16 titles have a really correct order, here is the result:

1.Boundless Ocean
2.FUABMX v4 (latest version)
3.Grief
4.Bloodlust
5.EOTE2
6.Babel
7.Wingedmene
8.FUABMX v3 (mice basement version)
9.ARFENHOUSE!!! #!!!!!!
10.ARFENHOUSE!!! FOR!!!!!!
11.Dimensions I
12.Aquarius
13.Horgoth
14.Evil Sword
15.Lolsidothaldremobine
16.Sword of Jade
17.Motherland
18.Time Flies
19.Mofas
20.EOTE
21.Realm of the Mystics
22.Scars of Glory
23.Magnus 11
24.Land of the Mystics
25.Memoria
26.Origin
27.Earth's Last Stand
28.Wandering Hamster
29.The Last Blitz
30.Evildead: Timeline
31.Beyond Ultima
32.Darkmoor Dungeon
33.And&
34.Dreams of Light and Darkness

Sooo, to come back to my original question on page 1, if you think I might like a game that was released (or updated) the last 5 years, then please tell me and I might check it out if it looks promising (I'll read the description text, I promise!). Preferable "Finished Games" only, I hate if when I really like a demo and then hear it's cancelled.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trimming out the games that aren't older than some of the members here, here's what we've got:

Rya.Reisender wrote:

1.Boundless Ocean
4.Bloodlust
7.Wingedmene (debatably)
13.Horgoth
16.Sword of Jade
23.Magnus 11
28.Wandering Hamster (even more debatably)
32.Darkmoor Dungeon

My #1 recommendation based on your list is Purgatory by Friend.
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm actually planning to play all games by Orchard / Friend since he's currently my favorite rpg developer / designer.

Any other ideas?
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That list makes me laugh a little, mostly because Ends of the Earth 2 and Babel are two of my least favorite OHR games of all time.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really want to discuss my taste now I just wanted some suggestions. No, no, no...

I actually had to reorganize the list a litte because Arfenhouse 4 was on place 1 and Arfenhouse 3 was on place 2 and EOTE1 was on place 4 on my original list.

Arfenhouse 4 was mainly good because it's the best FF6 parody I've ever seen. Ends of the Earth 2 is just how a traditional fully linear RPG should be and Babel was so awesome because of the general gameplay idea. I think it had like 100+ possible combinations and somewhat different stories depending on what combinations you chose. Pretty good idea, just should have been finished.
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought AH4 was ok as an FF6 parody but not even mentionable in the same sentence as AH3, and Babel wasn't really good but introduced a lot of innovative battle features that many OHR users have explored more thoroughly.

EOTE2, though... I've always thought it was crap. Poorly disguised graphics ripped from FF5, generic storyline, no interesting characters, lousy battles... I've never seen what people find interesting about it. EOTE1 was even worse.

So, uh, wow. I agree with Nathan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13
Page 13 of 13

Jump to: