Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Social Gaming and Orph anage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, try Darwine. I don't know whether anyone has previously, but the OHR works in Wine (apparently; I've never tried). What's great is that at least one of the dozens of possible combinations of 'backends' is bound to work near-flawlessly.

Wine normally recommends that you reinstall applcations from within Wine, and don't try to run Windows programs off a Windows partition because that normally won't work and may even be harmful. However this warning doesn't apply to the OHR because it doesn't use the registry, shared DLLs or store anything it needs elsewhere.
Camdog

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually coded a really simple protocol for client/server communication into the engine once. It basically added plotscripting commands for connecting to a server and then reading/writing values to an array on the server. I got it working, but never went anywhere with the code because there was no good way to prevent cheating. I might have it lying around somewhere if anyone is interested in looking at it...

James Paige wrote:
TMC has successfully compiled the OHRRPGCE for BSD, and Mac OS X uses a BSD core.

It will only work on Intel macs, not the older PPC macs, and we haven't figured out how to package it in a proper Mac App bundle yet.

Seriously? Is this available anywhere? I'd love to run the OHR on my mac.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you did actually code that? Could be interesting to look at your approach. I wouldn't use that fbnet library though. Chisock may be the best FB library available - seems to be really popular - but there's actually no reason to use a FB library at all.

Quote:
Seriously? Is this available anywhere? I'd love to run the OHR on my mac.

Not yet. James meant "When it happens..."

I just noticed the -mstackrealign option on Apple's gcc. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. If this works, the FB compiler won't require any changes!
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I looked around my computer, but I can't find the code anymore. Sorry... It really wasn't much to look at, anyway. I basically cut and paste some examples I found on the FB forums and made a couple of minor changes. I can't remember what library I used.

Suffice to say, it's fairly trivial to slap a client/server onto the OHR code base, and add a couple of plotscripting commands for them to interact. The real problem is that the OHR is not written with multiplayer in mind. In most networked games, the server keeps track of the game state and the client lets the player issue some commands, but in the OHR's case the client itself would keep track of the game state and the server would only be used to ferry messages between the players. This might be ok for a simple two or three player game where you trust everyone, but it would be so so easy to break if someone made a MMO with it.

So yeah, it was a fun experiment, but if you really want to make an MMO, the OHR is probably not the way to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: