Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Which version of the OHRRPGCE do you use?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which version of the OHRRPGCE do you use?
I always use the stable xocolatl+2 version
40%
 40%  [ 8 ]
I always use the nightly wip builds, and I desperately want a new stable build
25%
 25%  [ 5 ]
I always use the nightly wip builds, and I don't care about stable builds because I will keep using nightly builds anyway
30%
 30%  [ 6 ]
I always use a specific nightly wip build, but NOT the latest one (explain which one and why)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
I use a mixture of both the stable xocolatl+2 version and the nightly wip builds (explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I use some older version (Which one and why?)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
My situation does not fit into any of the above categories (explain)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

JSH357

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like using stables, but I have found myself needing nightly features so I end up using the nightly anyway.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always using the newest stable version.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
I remember. I think I decided at the time that it wasn't worth a xocolatl+3 unless people started complaining... although I do indeed need to double-check and make sure my scripts are corrected so it won't happen again... (EDIT: I checked and now I can't remember how this was happening... I think I may have had a script that downloaded the plotdict.xml file from the website using wget... but I can't find any script that does anything like that now.)

I looked into how it happened, but my recollection is a little fuzzy. Whilst porting changes (or forking?) from wip to the release branch, plotdict.xml was updated (or, reverted?, to before Mike's sprite stuff) but plotdictionary.html was forgotten. X+2 included the correct plotdict.xml, but wrong html file.

James Paige wrote:
You are correct. I just tested the distrib.bat script, and the ohrrpgce-floppy.zip file currently weighs in at 1,494,558 bytes, just a little too big for a floppy.

I'm inclined to rename it ohrrpgce-minimal.zip and not worry about it any further. :)

Oh, but that's without compressing with UPX. Thought it would be worse. But I definitely think we should include the dictionary (but plotdict.xml isn't needed), and might as well add oggenc and madplay as well as 400kB is not much.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:

Oh, but that's without compressing with UPX. Thought it would be worse. But I definitely think we should include the dictionary (but plotdict.xml isn't needed), and might as well add oggenc and madplay as well as 400kB is not much.

In my experience, UPX makes the ZIP file slightly bigger :( ... *goes to test* good gosh! My experience was obsolete! I must have been using a crappy old zip or a crappy old upx or both last time I tested, because the savings now is quite significant.

I'll work on updating the distrib file a bit...
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to work using the Stable versions; this way, I know what features 90% of my target audience will be able to use.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raekuul wrote:
I prefer to work using the Stable versions; this way, I know what features 90% of my target audience will be able to use.

People who used a nightly build nearly always include a copy of game.exe with their game.

James Paige wrote:
In my experience, UPX makes the ZIP file slightly bigger Sad... ... *goes to test* good gosh! My experience was obsolete! I must have been using a crappy old zip or a crappy old upx or both last time I tested, because the savings now is quite significant.

In my experience, it makes the archive larger when you use anything besides .zip, especially LZMA (eg .tar.xz, .7z). The .zip DEFLATE algorithm often performs really poorly in comparison.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum