Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Merry Christmas~
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either way, I would like to know if the people that are in charge are going to do this or not. This needs to be done ASAP if it wants to be recovered.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Fyrewulff. I would like to see this done over most features being promised.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumping music, visual media and writing together as one big 'art' forum is essentially going to give you a cluttered and organized mess. Creating sub forums is essentially the way to go, ie:

Creative arts:
+Visual arts
+Writing
+Music

Game Creation:
+Game engine X
+Game engine Y
+Technical stuff -> sub-forums if necessary

Plenty of other forums do this, ie, gaming force, piano street.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forums with population can do it. This one does not have the population to support more than the forums that I have condensed them into.

As I stated before, those forums, seperated, are moving at a glacial pace.

Music is going to be the slowest because from my observation, music is a niche of a niche. It's hard to get into and hard to be confident enough to post your work.

Stories take longer, because of editing and so on.

Art is relatively easy to post, because you can more easily post a sketch or draft and give people an idea of the final work.

The combined forum topics would be like..

"My sketches.."
"New battle theme - critique needed"
"Chapter 3 of My Small Thin Portugese Shindig"

you can tell which one is about art, which one is about music, and which one is a story. People here are capable of writing good subjects.

once again, example:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

The point of all this is to focus the forum activity into as few forums as possible. By focusing the activity, newcomers see a lively community. By focusing it, I only have to go to one forum to see new posts instead of clicking 3 different forums and keeping track of them seperately. If newcomers see a more lively forum, they are more likely to post, which feeds forum activity, which encourages more posting and more people likely to sign up and post, so on and so on..

also, phpBB tends to stick subforums in the most ugly way possible on the interface.

Once the userbase is back up, then you can have forums for seperate topics. But it isn't sustainable anymore.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing to this, I think Slime Salad has proven lately that having fewer forums doesn't increase activity. There have been maybe ten posts in the last week, whereas Castle Paradox has received closer to 80 or so. While neither is impressive, or shows much activity, the difference reveals that it really doesn't matter how the forums are broken. People will respond when they have something to say. If they have nothing to say, they won't say anything. It's just the way of human nature.

Streamlining will make things easier on the eyes, especially at the Main Page level, but I agree with Jabbercat in that grouping the creative forums together risks clutter, and clutter defeats the purpose of breaking things up, as clutter is not easy on the eyes. Not to mention, if you lean heavily on art and not enough on the other two, the other two get swallowed in the fray, and a new user (who might not have the patience to scour twenty topics down to find out that we post short stories, too) will think the creative forum is for artwork only. If he's a great writer, but an awful artist, he might be tempted to go elsewhere.

I'm guessing, of course. Who knows what a new user will ultimately do? But I think the subgroups remind people that they still have the option to post something in that category and not feel like they're entirely wasting their time when their story shoots down five spots to make room for some other users' brand-spanking-new stickman art. At least with a forum devoted to writing (or music) they just have to wait for the horrible lack of response to find out they're wasting their time.

In the end, this place will come alive again when the games (and the discussions) get better. Grouping the forums together won't change anything.

I understand your point, though. It'll at least look like activity's increasing, and that I can agree with. But appearances and reality don't often play well together. I'm sure IM would rather spend his time working on the features that he wanted to release at the start of the year than worry about shrinking things down right now. Don't think this qualifies as an emergency.

And I agree with doing away with the "Review Wars" Forum. I always thought it was better to allow users to comment directly underneath the game review itself. Requests for reviews could just be posted in a general forum. As it stands now, the user has to click back and forth between two separate ends of the site just to know what the post is talking about. And that's not very efficient.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mariel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the creative forum had a subforum just for art, and then all other creative topics could go in the main forum?

Also, it would be nice to have a different skin on the forums from the regular phpbb. It doesn't present a very interesting view to a newcomer. Is there a reason why the journals and gamelist have a different skin from the regular forums?
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all the creative forums are merged, all their active topics will still be on the front page, with dead topics to spare. Nobody is going to 'lose' their topic on the front page.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
While I'm not necessarily agreeing or disagreeing to this, I think Slime Salad has proven lately that having fewer forums doesn't increase activity.

That wasn't the point. The point was using what you have. Slime Salad has had posts in all discussion forums except Arena Discussion in the past week. It would look a lot more empty if there were another ten ghost forums.

Conversely, CP would look a lot more active with fewer forums, and what Fyre is trying to say is that forums that look more active are more attractive to potential new members.

As far as the collective "creative" forums are concerned (what, game design isn't creative?), people aren't joining CP just to post their stories -- except maybe if they're game stories, which could just as easily fit into OHR discussion.

Quote:
This needs to be done ASAP if it wants to be recovered.

This, however, is gross hyperbole. This has been the status quo for over a year. It's not urgent, it's overdue.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I felt if I had said "This should have been done long ago", I would have been calling out Cube and IM on it, but honestly they're programmers, not forum admins. I'm just saying that this needs to be decided on in a short amount of time before it just up and dies altogether.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you mean the idea, not the website. Yeah, though it tends to resurge every few months.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that I agree with joining the 'art' forums into one, and I agree with Fyre that the Plotscripting forum should remain separate. I don't have a well thought-out reason - I just think that it is the one forum where very technical discussions end up taking place, and having that separate from other discussions seems worthwhile to me. Some time ago I would have lobbied for the Game Design Discussion forum to stay separate as well, but now I'm not so sure. There have been so few real discussion topics there of late. But I remember having good threads on actual game design going on there in the past, and there were times it was the only forum I would bother checking. Not so any longer though.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Oh, you mean the idea, not the website. Yeah, though it tends to resurge every few months.

In recent conversations with IM (no idea why he hasn't posted here, but wutevs), this is pretty much what is going to happen. Well, apparently what's going to happen is this forum is just going to get archived as-is and CastleParadox 2.0 will start with the small amount of forums with a clean slate.

This is all second hand information and is probably more than likely subject to change.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: