Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hi guys (+ some random things that bother me)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSH357 wrote:
Rya.Reisender wrote:
Well I really enjoyed the Dimensions series. They old parts were a bit (really) strange and glitchy but the one that introduced that new leveling system was quite enjoyable. Too bad it was just a short demo when I played it back then.

I think you'll find that MOST of those gimmicky games never progressed past the demo you saw way back then. That trend still hasn't changed.

Well I have problems with it myself, so I can understand it. Although in my case the main problem was that I did depend on a team, but all the members never really lasted longer than some weeks.

But I'm also doing games on my own (usually text-rpgs with pure c++ coding) and there I have the problem that I get tired of writing dialogues. Especially because I hate linear games and make the story split at various point and eventually you end up having to give every single NPC like 200 different dialogues depending on what path the player chose. x-x
But the main problem here is just that I'm not really fond of writing dialogues. I totally love numbers and stats and game design and I also have many awesome gameplay ideas, but as long as I don't enjoy the other parts of game development and don't have a loyal team either it just won't work out. I often end up just coding the complete battle system and hero / monster databases and then start the next game because I already had a new awesome battle system idea lol.

Jeez if I think about how many games I've planned that are only on paper for years...

By the way I think back then I was 16-18 years old. Now I'm 23. I studied computer science and got a job as software developer in december. Nothing much special happened in my life except finding and losing girlfriends. Also I got a bit away from the professional RPG genre because all games are always the same and totally lack original ideas. Hell most of my ideas and even many OHRRPGCE game ideas are better than those of professional RPGs.

Instead I started to like bullet hell shooters (aka fire curtain shooters) and basically play them professionally (in the sense of trying to get the highest score) and in general I started to like the Arcade genre. I'm especially fond of Ikaruga and Touhou shooters. And maybe rRootage because it's just needed to learn to play those games.

Another genre I got into more is horror game genre. Unlike RPGs, Horror games have a way more interesting and deep and emotional story (except Resident Evil which I consider a really bad horror game). My favorites here are the Silent Hill and Project Zero (us. Fatal Frame) series.

Except of gaming I watch one or two animes occasionally.

These days I'm not playing much games anymore and I don't feel like watching animes often, so I'm basically pretty bored so that I'm posting in like 5 different forums all day.

I can imagine starting or joining an OHRRPGCE game project again so I have something productive to do (although posting on game journalism forums can be quite productive, but that doesn't count). However I'm not planning on starting a game alone just to drop it again.

If anyone is good with dialogues, graphics and music, but seems to need help with gameplay, game balance, game ideas or is just too lazy to give all the heroes and monsters proper stats and skills, I'd help out, so just drop me a line in that case.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Another genre I got into more is horror game genre. Unlike RPGs, Horror games have a way more interesting and deep and emotional story (except Resident Evil which I consider a really bad horror game). My favorites here are the Silent Hill and Project Zero (us. Fatal Frame) series.
You should try out Only One In All's games.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
Don't forget we have a bunch of new people now, including myself, who is only seeing the only recent drama that goes on in the community.

I, myself, have no clue why people are making a fuss about "problems" with the community that mostly hinge on the fact that it's different from 8-10 years ago. I just think it's an issue of making the OHRRPGCE and some of its better games (a lot coming from very recently) appealing to people, not just within the community. There are people out there that actually shudder and twitch at low resolution graphics, and I hope to reach out to those that are open minded and willing to play games for their gameplay, and hopefully those people will convince their friends to play the games, etc...

Haha, forum drama was always there, though. I remember that. It's quite normal in forums where many people are basically game designer and game journalists. I even know some game journalism forums that welcome flaming because only that can cause really epic discussions especially when two people have a totally different opinion on a game.

You are saying you can't make really good games with the OHRRPGCE though? I doubt that actually. Games like FUABMX and Boundless Ocean have awesome graphics. Even better graphics than some professional retro games. So I say it is possible and I'm actually looking for exactly these games all the time. But being able to make wonderful 2D graphics has a lot to do with talent unfortunately. I wish people like WhiteOwl and Orchard would teach me their secret, though.

A game consists out of everything, music, graphics, gameplay, story, only if all of those are awesome it can really be an epic game that stays in ones memory forever. Games like Boundless Ocean really impress me so much that I had to tell everyone about this game.

There are in fact many people who like retro games these days. It's a current trend that even flooded the game market. Many developers are making games with intentionally old 2D graphics for consoles like PS2 like for example Metal Slug and these games are actually quite successful. And I don't even start on all the remakes that are offered for PSP, DS and even Wii (those minigames you can download with a Wii Card).

Newbie_Power wrote:
Quote:
You should try out Only One In All's games.

Okay, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give em a try.

As I said before, I'm looking for games that are really awesome and released the last years (especially 2006 and 2007).

Also have there been some 48 hours contests (or similar) lately that yielded some good games (like Grief)?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are saying you can't make really good games with the OHRRPGCE though?
I am saying the exact opposite. I am very ticked that people out there think the OHRRPGCE is under-capable without even trying out the best games for it.

Quote:
There are in fact many people who like retro games these days. It's a current trend that even flooded the game market. Many developers are making games with intentionally old 2D graphics for consoles like PS2 like for example Metal Slug and these games are actually quite successful. And I don't even start on all the remakes that are offered for PSP, DS and even Wii (those minigames you can download with a Wii Card).
Alright. Help me find some communities full of retro gamers and we can get some OHRRPGCE coverage there?

EDIT: On second thought, Retro RPG communities?

Quote:
As I said before, I'm looking for games that are really awesome and released the last years (especially 2006 and 2007).
Darkmoor Dungeon is the absolute first game I suggest, and I'm disregarding what year it was made, since I don't care.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?

Last edited by Newbie_Power on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to convince other communities to play a game made with an engine actually. I already tried it at Insertcredit/Selectbutton, but it just ended up in a flaming Paul Eres (Rinku) thread lol.

Reference!

However if I talk to friends personally I can convince some. But I'm usually already working as a filter. Like playing many games and only tell them about the really good ones.

Oh also I checked for Onlyoneinall's games, however the graphics didn't look too appealing as far as I could see on the screenshots. He also has released a total of 14 games. Is there one I should try in particular?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, go make a new thread saying that the OHRRPGCE community is no longer Rinku centric, and that the Heroists no longer have as much involvement as they used to.

Last edited by Newbie_Power on Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surlaw wrote:
Rya.Reisender wrote:

There's no way retro gaming has "flooded" the game market. Games like the Metal Slug Collection are successful because they're ports of existing games and require far fewer sales to make profit than big budget titles. Also, I don't think you get how the Wii works if you think you're downloading "minigames."

Um Metal Slug 3-6 were first released on PS2 as far as I know. I wasn't talking about just the Collection.

And yeah I'm aware that those games you download for Wii are actually games that already existed and were just made Wii compatible.

And most games are remakes indeed.

Yet I still know many people that prefer old-school graphics with good game ideas over OMG FFX+ graphic games. But I guess that's because I'm in arcade gamer communities all the time ( www.insertcredit.com, www.selectbutton.net ).

Edit: Hm I don't think that Top 30 represents my opinion on games. But I might check out some. I think what's mainly missing in the community is a good artist. /hm

Last edited by Rya.Reisender on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh also I checked for Onlyoneinall's games, however the graphics didn't look too appealing as far as I could see on the screenshots.
*baps you with a newspaper*

Last edited by Newbie_Power on Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh? I told you for me all aspects are important, this includes graphics.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Edit: Hm I don't think that Top 30 represents my opinion on games. But I might check out some. I think what's mainly missing in the community is a good artist. /hm
Fenrir is one of the best artists in the community.

EDIT: http://www.castleparadox.com/ohr/viewtopic.php?p=71388#71388

Quote:
Huh? I told you for me all aspects are important, this includes graphics.
You're the exact kind of person I'm complaining about. The OHRRPGCE games I'm trying to show people shine in game play, and Bloodlust looks fine for what it's trying to accomplish (though OOIA is still trying to improve his portraits, I believe).

Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Also I imagine the common situation is, someone comes here to find out which are the good games, maybe he checked already 2 years ago and is only interested in new good games. Also he doesn't like betas and only wants full releases. Now wouldn't it be awesome if there was a "Game Search" button you can click and then enter:
Code:
Better than grade: B
Newer than: 2005
Full release: Yes

Well I think that'd be a really awesome feature and shouldn't be too hard to implement either... the information is there after all. It's just a search form that is missing.

Just wanted to mention that there is a Gamelist Search. The link just isn't in the most ideal place. You'll find it in the description of the very first forum on the Forum Index, Temp Game/Review Links. Here's the link:

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist.php?search=1

Also, given your previous comments, I think you'd enjoy Vikings of Midgard by Fenrir-Lunaris and Missing by Orchard-L/Friend.
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow flaming already starts lol.

Surlaw wrote:
They are all arcade ports, and aside from 6 they're all fairly old. This does not count as an existing interest in retro-game development.

Oh okay didn't know that then because I always saw people waiting for the next part to be released. But even so the fact that games like these are released for PS2 still shows that quite some people are interested in it.

Quote:
No, this is also wrong. There are a lot of remakes on the market today, but nowhere near "most games" are remakes.

I meant most of the games with 2D graphics.

Quote:
You and the people you know are in the smallest minority of people who play video games. Look at sales charts if you have to. I like old-school games a lot, but I'm not delusional.

I guess I exaggerated a bit, but it's still true that there are quit many retrogamers out there. At least 100 because I already know so many lol.
I'd even go so far to say that 1% of all gamers like retro more than new games, which are actually a quite large amount.

Quote:
You have terrible taste. Also, it's pretty ironic that you can say this after insulting "OMG FFX+ graphic games," whatever that could possibly mean.

I personally dislike 3D graphics, but 2D graphics that look like drawn by a child where each maptile only has 2 different colours are just not playable for me. Also I don't think I have a terrible taste only because mine is a bit different. Why I don't like the list is basically because there aren't many games on it that shine in all aspects of a game. It seems to be focused on "original idea / gameplay" and "funny parody" games, although some of the games there are actually really good. Well if there is a new voting period I might make my own list for voting.

Quote:
Fenrir-Lunaris

I looked at his art and it indeed looks quite good. I wouldn't say he's the best OHRRPGCE artist ever, but probably the best active one. Grandtrain, Royal, WhiteOwl and Valkayree and whoever did Aquarius (Shizuma I think? or Kenji something) were still better in my opinion.

Quote:
You're the exact kind of person I'm complaining about. The OHRRPGCE games I'm trying to show people shine in game play, and Bloodlust looks fine for what it's trying to accomplish (though OOIA is still trying to improve his portraits, I believe).

Good gameplay isn't everything, though. A game just needs to be good in all aspects. It's not that I only care about the graphics. If the graphics are awesome but the gameplay sucks, the game isn't good. If the gameplay is awesome but the graphics suck, the game isn't good either. While music and story are aspects you can somewhat ignore (play your own music during play and jump over the story), graphics and gameplay are something you can't ignore. Although I think music and story are important as well, not to give the wrong impression.

And as I said it's not impossible with the OHRRPGCE to make a game that shines in every single aspects, since there are already some good examples out there.

A game with only good gameplay / game idea can be use to show people "Look how awesome the gameplay can be, why don't have professional games a good gameplay like that?", but I still won't consider it a good game that's enjoyable to play altogether. Not referring to any specific game, though.

Since you pointed out Bloodlust I might try it.

But especially regarding horror genre graphics are quite important, don't you think? Evil Dead: Timeline was quite good in the OHR/horror genre and Grief as well.
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
I personally dislike 3D graphics, but 2D graphics that look like drawn by a child where each maptile only has 2 different colours are just not playable for me. Also I don't think I have a terrible taste only because mine is a bit different. Why I don't like the list is basically because there aren't many games on it that shine in all aspects of a game. It seems to be focused on "original idea / gameplay" and "funny parody" games, although some of the games there are actually really good.

It begins. Nothing can save this thread now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13

Jump to: