Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Whats cookin fer OHR 360/OHRIII/OHR Revolution.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my idea of the "multiple people attacking" involves just normal attacks (which can subsequently be chained to others, if necessary/if you want to make it look like 2 different abilities are attacking). The only difference is that more than one person is "active" at the time.

Stepmania Online Stats:

Next song to pass on Stepmania: Paranoia Survivor Max (Heavy)
Next song to pass on DDR: MaxX Unlimited(Standard)
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own machine is a 600 MHz P3 running Windows 98, so as long as I am still working on the Windows version it should run on at least that. Unless I buy something new, but I've managed to talk myself out of it every time so far. Happy

FreeBasic does also compile for 32-bit DOS and Linux. There could still be some support for DOS in the future. The Windows version will probably end up being the best supported, though, simply because there will be more people able to work on it, and probably more people using it.

It's a tricky one, really. We want to go to Windows to remove the limitations, but in many ways the limitiations are what defines OHRRPGCE: the low resolution and colour depth, etc.
vandam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be great if the colours wernt so umm *basic*,
you can never get a real good skin tone happening.
It usualy comes out all brown and/or grey.
Then you have to use that patale edit thing which totaly messes up all your other colours.
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Then you have to use that patale edit thing which totaly messes up all your other colours.

I don't know what palette editor you're using, but it shouldn't change any colors except the ones that you change yourself. If it's randomly changing your colors around when you don't want it to, you really need to get a better palette editor. I use Paledit. It works fine, and is on the OHR homepage somewhere.
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the quick and nasty way - load your .bmp image into any decent paint program and increase the saturation, then resave (NOT MSPAINT!!! That doesn't have the saturation option anyway. Raspberry!). The default OHR palette is optimal when images contain lots of saturation. If you want to edit the palette, use Iblis' idea.

Stepmania Online Stats:

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note: this topic should be in the OHR general discussion forum.

Quote:

vandam wrote:

If James Paige made it that you could use mp3 and wave formats, would that make it extremely slow?

No, but if he did that then he'd have to remove some other non-essentials such as NPCs and battles.

Actually, Mp3 would be so slow that the sound would not play smoothly even if the rest of the engine was scrapped. I can't even get mp3s to play under windows on a 100MHz 486, let alone 16 bit real mode DOS. wav is fast though.

Quote:
Sound is quite possible (TMC got it working, but the memory usage would jump dramatically, and it's for a small buffer. Ask him for more details.)

Like Mike said, I had 16 bit mono wav (uncompressed raw sound samples) sound working in the OHR ages ago (gave a demo out). Look at Cowbobs on the hamsterrepublic download page - that uses the same assembly library as the OHR, and use sound effects you would see.

We figured out where to save 10kb for a memory buffer, but that is a tiny buffer leading to a short maximum wav length (about 7 seconds):

However, I wanted the ability to play large numbers wavs of any length at the same time, rather than infinite numbers of wavs of up some length. I never got it quite working, and was distracted for about half a year. Recently, I haven't implemented it because 32bit OHR is close, and I don't want to bog it down with even more backwards compatibility problems, and just vouched to wait for it instead.

Quote:
In shops, it would be nice if that apple could be traded for an orange and a banana. It's annoying to see that I can only trade one item for another. Perhaps if it could bring up a list of all the items, and we could check off which items that you need to have to trade for that item.

I would love to increase the number of items or add new item datas, but under current data structures, it would be impossible, and even a port might not change that.

However, that is unrelated to this request. I see that there are unused variables for objects in shops. I think better trade is possible, but don't expect amazing lists with infinite selection of trade items. I will try and implement this, increase to two or three item types, with selection of number required for each.

Quote:
LeRoy_Leo wrote:

Also, would it be too terribly hard to put spell descriptions in the spell list (Edit: Under menu and "Hero spells" default)?
We got item descriptions. Why can't we have spell descriptions? NO ONE WILL KNOW THE HORROR THAT IS THE "CHAKRA" ATTACK.

Yes it would. There are 32767 spells, versus 255 items.

Actually, that has nothing to do with it. Who cares for a few extra bytes of attack data? Attack data is extendable, and there are an extra 41 INTs lying around anyway. Prehaps we could attempt this.

Quote:
I am not familiar enough with the battle code (read the top of my post) to say how much work that would be. It should be possible. I mean, it's more or less: Move 2+ heroes, set their frames different, do an attack-

I don't know either. That would involve the battlescript creation sub, atkscript and the battlescript interpreter, action, which are easily the ugliest thing in the OHR. So, for the sake of my sanity, I have never looked at its operation.

Quote:
FreeBasic does also compile for 32-bit DOS and Linux. There could still be some support for DOS in the future. The Windows version will probably end up being the best supported, though, simply because there will be more people able to work on it, and probably more people using it.

I would like to maintain a 32bit DOS build of the OHR indefinitely, even if it has to have features cut. It would be a pity if the OHR no longer ran on 486's, but it seems this path will increase all the requirements.

Quote:
Quote:

I don't know what palette editor you're using, but it shouldn't change any colors except the ones that you change yourself. If it's randomly changing your colors around when you don't want it to, you really need to get a better palette editor. I use Paledit. It works fine, and is on the OHR homepage somewhere.

You can try NeoTA's CHGPAL, which automatically updates all the graphics in your game instead of breaking them all. Naturally, they will still change colours if a colour is missing from the new palette. It is a much better idea to decide on palette BEFORE starting graphics.

http://www.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/miscfiles.php
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Note: this topic should be in the OHR general discussion forum.

Can do.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way you can be sure your colors will work properly, even when working in MSPaint, is to get a screenshot of the master palette and keep that handy as a kinda swatch while you make your sprites. For MSPaint users, you'll have to select a 4x4 (smallest size you can select in my experience) square of the color you want on the master palette, copy it, and paste it to the sprite you're making, preferrably in an out-of-the-way area (you could even increase the size of the image for the purpose of putting the colors to the side (ie. a walkabout sprite being 24x24/20x24/24x20 with it's 15 colors outside the 20-x20). if it's at the bottom or on the right you can leave it there, since OHR will cut off whatever doesn't fit in the particular sprite size anyway), then just use the color-selector and work from there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like right?
vandam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to know,what program are you running on your computers?
E.g xp,98 ETC.
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncy, that's exactly what I do when making sprites Big grin. It helps considerably when you're trying to do any sort of shading on them, anyway.

Stepmania Online Stats:

AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..my pc is currently a pentium - 166mhz..so as long as i dont have a newer pc (hopefully this Christmas i will have a new one,i hope the OHR windows version will still work on my slow machine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a follow up to what I last posted, I got the battle background animation working. It looks sweet! Sucks to be all of you!

Erhem, it needs a bit of work (it won't stop you from setting the number of frames to more than the number of backgrounds, for instance), but it's pretty close.

And, TMC, I will soon have Linux installed, so I will help maintain the Linux port. In addition, Inferior Minion's still chugging away, trying to get it to work. The main that that isn't working for him (other than the issues the Win port has) is the Browse screen (/ vs \ for directories)

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't Windows recognize either one? I'm pretty sure you can type in c:\windows/mydir\otherdir and it'll work.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends, sometimes Windows will accept it, sometimes it won't.

I think it's application-specific. Anyway, it's a good habit to learn \'s for harddrives, /'s for internet addresses.

I think most basic drawing routines use DirectX5. That was the last major DirectX rev that came out for Windows95 I believe. Although once Windows Vista comes out, it's in everyone's best interest (everyone as in, Windows users) to upgrade to it and it's vastly improved graphics API and structure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: