Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hi guys (+ some random things that bother me)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Hi guys (+ some random things that bother me) Reply with quote

Hey anyone remembers me? I couldn't really find a forum section for general talk, oh well.

This community seems to be almost dead when I see how few posts there are on these forums. It's kinda sad.

Also I played Boundless Ocean today and dislike the fact that the best game ever has no review. I wanted to write one at first but it the form needs so much text in fixed format and screenshots and I couldn't really motive myself for those oh well.

Also is there no way to search for a game by name or grade or rating or anything? Wtf...

And Iblis gave Ends of the Earth a really bad grade? Wow, whoever allowed that review to be released, poor job. ._.

Also, is a high rating or a lower rating better? And can you rate without writing a review?

Wow, in the end it wasn't really a introduction thread, more of a list of things I wanted to say since various months and only never bothered to register again lol. *changes subject slightly*
Joe Man

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviews are allowed to be released based on the quality of the review, not the opinions expressed.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
msw188

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to www.superwalrusland.com and look at the Hamsterspeak magazine. If you go to the game directory, you will see that Boundless Ocean was reviewed for that mag a little while ago, and the review opens very similarly to what you had to say about it.

Higher ratings are better.

If you want to find games by a person, you can view his profile from the memberlist. His profile ought to have a link "games made by person". If you know the name of the game, you can pick the starting letter. But I don't know if you can search the gamelist directly, unfortunately.

I don't really remember your name. Do you have any games you consider to be high quality?

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe Man wrote:
Reviews are allowed to be released based on the quality of the review, not the opinions expressed.

Yeah I can understand that. The only thing that bothers me is that the rating is just choosen that low to get the average grade down and doesn't really reflect the opinion of the reviewer. Even if the attitude is "It doesn't deserve this hype" grading it F+ while there are many many games which are even better doesn't make sense. A "D+" would be a way better grade according to the review in my opinion. Oh well.

msw188 wrote:
Go to www.superwalrusland.com and look at the Hamsterspeak magazine. If you go to the game directory, you will see that Boundless Ocean was reviewed for that mag a little while ago, and the review opens very similarly to what you had to say about it.

Yeah I read that already, I was just referring to Castle Paradox. =)

Quote:
Higher ratings are better.

Thanks for the info. =)

Quote:
If you want to find games by a person, you can view his profile from the memberlist. His profile ought to have a link "games made by person". If you know the name of the game, you can pick the starting letter. But I don't know if you can search the gamelist directly, unfortunately.

By person yeah nice but doesn't help too much. By name is really hard because for each letter there are already 5+ pages. So it takes really long to find the game. A "game search" is really NEEDED.

Also I imagine the common situation is, someone comes here to find out which are the good games, maybe he checked already 2 years ago and is only interested in new good games. Also he doesn't like betas and only wants full releases. Now wouldn't it be awesome if there was a "Game Search" button you can click and then enter:
Code:
Better than grade: B
Newer than: 2005
Full release: Yes

Well I think that'd be a really awesome feature and shouldn't be too hard to implement either... the information is there after all. It's just a search form that is missing.

Quote:
I don't really remember your name. Do you have any games you consider to be high quality?

I usually help others with their games to get a better game balance. I'm pretty good with battle balance and gameplay in general, I'm even good with making a really original storyline, but when it comes to graphics, music and writing dialogues I suck pretty bad, that's why I don't make any games on my own without any help.

I was mainly involved in the following games:

Ends of the Earth 2 (20% by me, the Director's Cut is completely by me)

Ends of the Earth 3 (died in planning stage due to Valkayree disappearing)

Endless Evil 1 (this one I completely designed myself with graphics, plotscripting and dialogues by Valkayree and music from Valkayree's friend, project died due to Valkayree disappearing as well, I think there was a preview about it in one of the OHR Monthlies)

Endless Evil Zero (I started this project due to Valkayree disappearing, it shows what happened before the initial Endless Evil, I was hoping that Valkayree will come back one day and then I'd already be done with the prequel story, in this one I got Grandtrain for the graphics and TheMadCacti for the plotscripting, the rest I started to do myself, project died due to Grandtrain and TheMadCacti being too busy with other things)

Endless Evil 2 (I started this because I had the story and gameplay already in my head, but couldn't find anyone to join me, it has no graphics, no dialogues and ripped music, however I tried out certain game balances and ideas there, I mainly only developed it for myself, because seriously I don't wanna release a game with the crappy graphics I can do, it needs at least Valkayree / Grandtain / White Owl / Royal quality imo...

Fantasy Under A Blue Moon X v4++ (I was mainly gametesting and giving out some additional ideas for White Owl, also I appear as one of the main NPCs there).

Dreams of Light and Dark (doing game balance mainly, but also gave some ideas and gametested it more than 100 hours)

People that I know better from 5 years ago:
James Paige (good friend)
Valkayree (good friend)
Tamaria (good friend)
Mattgamerr (friend)
Royal (friend)
Radar (friend)
WhiteOwl (friend)
TheMadCacti (friend)
Grandtrain (distant friend)
Misteroo (distant friend)
Rinku/Rydia/Raft/Rell (I think he didn't like me so much)
Fortis (didn't like me so much either, not sure if that was his nickname, he was the owner of the Zantetsuken board and I loved his comic strips)

I probably forgot half of them.

Last edited by Rya.Reisender on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The community has been through several major shifts since those people were frequent users; most of them are still around, actually, just not involved with OHR stuff.

Ends of the Earth is, simply put, a really dated series. Those games had their place when they first came out, but the OHR has really come a long way since then--a lot of stuff about EOTE1 particularly is seen as newbie game drivel today (Walls of text and bad balance particularly).

If you want to write a more liberal review, try SlimeSalad.com.

James Paige is still around on all of the OHR-related sites (Superwalrusland is more Surlaw's forum than an OHR forum).

Valkayree left; I didn't know him well.
Mattgamerr - same

Royal pokes his head in occasionally. He's making Xbox games or something.

Radar, I've never heard of.

WhiteOwl poked his head in a few months ago. He has a life now.

TheMadCacti is still a regular.

Grandtrain, can't tell you.

Misteroo distanced himself from the OHR, but he's achieved cult internet fame with Arfenhouse since then.

Rinku/Rydia/Raft/Rell is just Rinku now. If you really want to look up on him, he spends at least 50% of his day on elgay: http://www.livejournal.com/~rinku

Fortis is a regular on SlimeSalad, still making a game.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I remember your name, if not you personally. Weren't you in RMS?
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um I wasn't really asking where they are lol. I just wanted to mention which people I had really good contact with.

Also for most the word "left" is strange. I'd just say they disappeared because they never said anything about leaving they just stopped replying to their e-mails altogether (Valkayree and Grandtrain especially). I have WhiteOwl on MSN but he's only on like once every 3 years lol. I had frequent e-mail contact with everyone of those until they stopped replying.

Radar is a good friend of Royal, he is actually a pretty good composer who composed most music of Royal's and Mattgamerr's games. His soundtrack for "Grief" is epic.

And yeah interesting how Royal got professional and Misteroo got famous.

Rinku is quite infamous in some other gamer communities for his 'strange' opinions (not my opinion).

In fact all the OHRRPGCE people are so special. Well not all but the famous ones. Games like Boundless Ocean even surpass games like Final Fantasy in terms of original ideas and game design.

Why are there multiple OHR communities anyways? Would be better if all unite on one IRC channel and forum. Oh well. Also IRC seems so dead, I'm the only one writing there all day.

By the way I totally forgot to mention that I also worked on Dreams of Light and Dark with Tamaria. I think my name is mentioned in the credits there as well. Tamaria had some really bad real life issues so she didn't came online anymore. She sends me a mail once a year still, though. I'll add her and the game to the list in my last post I guess.

Regarding Ends of the Earth, I'd say even today it's still an average game. When I look at the games released in 2006-2007, they didn't look any better, but maybe I just haven't found the really good ones yet due to the lack of a search feature.
Ends of the Earth has quite good graphics and I disagree that the gameplay is not balanced. I think it was neither too hard nor too easy. Except maybe for the first few battles that are quite hard indeed. The music wasn't so bad either. Story is just a an average fully linear rather boring story so yeah, that's where I think a grade below average can be set. Altogether it's still pretty average, though. Kevin always had some issues with giving 'clever' stats to the heroes and monsters, though. That's why I helped him in part 2. =)
Anyways, in my opinion a grade C would still fit it.

Quote:
The community has been through several major shifts since those people were frequent users; most of them are still around, actually, just not involved with OHR stuff.

I wonder, are there some new 'geniuses' in the community? Right now Boundless Ocean+ is the newest game I'd consider really epic and that's from 2005... and I remember Orchard from back then still.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is double posting allowed here? I'm used to be allowed to do it in forums that don't feature multiquote. If it isn't allowed just tell me and I'll stop.

Moogle1 wrote:
Hey, I remember your name, if not you personally. Weren't you in RMS?

In fact I know you quite well. I remember that you were pretty good at plotscripting and also played a game of you which was just a really short demo, though. But then again, back then I basically played all OHR games that got more than 80% rating on whatever site that was back then that had percentual rating. What is RMS? The acronym doesn't ring a bell. Except RateMyServer but you possible can't mean that. I think I also send you an e-mail once about plotscripting or something. Maybe I asked you to do the plotscripting for one of my projects but I think you passed. Oh and you also tried to do a Tactics game. Yeah I remember that.

Oh and I also knew the guy who did that Dimensions ? game with the awesome leveling up system quite good, but I can't recall his name right now.

Last edited by Rya.Reisender on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really agree that this is a good reason not to unite the whole community. Setting up a forum only takes like one day (in case the main one goes down) and also we should at least all unite in one IRC channel. But many don't even seem to use IRC or I just don't know the real channel (I'm at #castleparadox at EsperNet).

Well just my opinion anyways.

Edit: Wow Destiny Calls never got a demo in all those years.
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=346
Sad.

Edit2: Oh actually there are two older version posted. o.o
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMS was Red Murdock Software, the one with StellarX and Royal and Radar and Mattgamerr and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Oh and I also knew the guy who did that Dimensions ? game with the awesome leveling up system quite good, but I can't recall his name right now.

Cube is still around.

Dimensions was always mediocre IMO. No offense to Cube; there just isn't much special about it. An "awesome" leveling up system means nothing if the game isn't that notable.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope I wasn't really in RMS then since I'm totally unrelated to StellarX. But Mattgamerr, Royal and Radar were all friends of me and I tested all their games, so maybe they listed me? Dunno.

Well I really enjoyed the Dimensions series. They old parts were a bit (really) strange and glitchy but the one that introduced that new leveling system was quite enjoyable. Too bad it was just a short demo when I played it back then.

Yeah Cube was his name. He might still remember me.
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Well I really enjoyed the Dimensions series. They old parts were a bit (really) strange and glitchy but the one that introduced that new leveling system was quite enjoyable. Too bad it was just a short demo when I played it back then.

I think you'll find that MOST of those gimmicky games never progressed past the demo you saw way back then. That trend still hasn't changed.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget we have a bunch of new people now, including myself, who is only seeing the only recent drama that goes on in the community.

I, myself, have no clue why people are making a fuss about "problems" with the community that mostly hinge on the fact that it's different from 8-10 years ago. I just think it's an issue of making the OHRRPGCE and some of its better games (a lot coming from very recently) appealing to people, not just within the community. There are people out there that actually shudder and twitch at low resolution graphics, and I hope to reach out to those that are open minded and willing to play games for their gameplay, and hopefully those people will convince their friends to play the games, etc...

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13

Jump to: