Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Call me strange, but...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 7:01 pm    Post subject: Call me strange, but... Reply with quote

I dunno, the idea just hit me. Why doesn't somebody in Castle Paradox stretch out of the common fantasy world and make an RPG of different genres? I'm only asking because I'm planning an abstract Fantasy/Sci-fi to work on after .hack//OHR. I think people should do horror, science fiction, maybe even just do something off the wall.

Just an idea!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Logically, it's almost impossible to have a sci-fi RPG where you actually build up experience. A gun will always hurt you REALLY REALLY badly if it hits you (unless it hits the very edge of your skin, or some technicality) and it's ludicrous for your attack power to get higher when you are using a GUN, or your defense power to get higher when you are getting hit with a GUN.

In the post, gun can also be replaced with any other modern projectile weapon.

But asides that, it'll come back in a while, don't worry. The people in the world who like making stories that couldn't happen, their opinions shift. It'll be fantasy for X amount of years, then sci-fi for X amount of years. Star Wars would have been more popular than any fantasy movie at the time, same with Star Trek, but Lord of the Rings now has done much better than Star Trek: Nemesis.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there is Accuracy. Yeah a gun hurts, but it doesn't help if the hero misses half the time. And yes, getting shot in the shoulder hurts, but as the hero levels up and becomes a better marksman, the damage inflicted increases due to his ability to actually hit the target and actually hit vital areas. Seems logical to me.
I believe its a Cat god...

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY! (I'm going to use the most blatent example that if you haven't played it You are a deprived and you need to play! ) Final Fantasy 7 Has two gun users Barret and Vincent and is a kinda Sci-fi/Fantasy cross. ( Please note Barret gets a lazer at some point in his gun arms) Now I don't know about ever one else but I presonally think that If you are slashed with a sword you're more to be killed then being shot. And yes marksmanship is important for better attack ( THANX INFEROR. Happy ) that is why you would become stronger with long range weapons!

______
-Chaz VanLanden
Concept Writter for Realmsoft

Quote:
"HEY YOU GUYS!!" -Sloth
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was going to implement a stat system similar to what Sir Phoenix did in the Memphis Project. That is where your equipment includes items that will build individual stats of your weapons and armor. You can get harder pounding ammo or scopes to improve accuracy (Inferior Minion...I-thank-you) or even an equipable HP pack that is your only means of building Max Health.

"These are a few of my Favorite Things."

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's never CALLED Accuracy. It's always called 'Strength.'
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accuracy measures how likely of a hit to occur is.
Strength measures how powerful it is.

They meant that strength is high, but accuracy is low. As you level up, you become more likely to hit the enemy, and in more spots(THE STRENGTH IS INCREASED). Heck, it'd be easy to do a mocked gun-shot attack.
Ssalamanderr
Simply too strong. Simply too beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a Sci-Fi game (Rift, it's about 5 minutes long, maybe less). The main character is a combat-cyborg, so he wouldn't be damaged by lasers and the like.

The accuracy stuff makes much more sense though.

Ukelele no good!
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a world of guns and swords, how can the swordfighter stand up to the marksman? This has been something I've been thinking about recently, and shall update you when I have a solution. Right now I'm thinking that either swords or guns (or both) aren't really made up of the same stuff that they are today, but the idea still needs development.

Just to let you know, the "Gladean Saga" (or whatever I end up calling it) is a fanstasy/sci-fi game/story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW, since Strength does measure how powerful it is like you said, there's no way to increase it (aside from buying new guns or something. Not through leveling up or armor or something). And there is a certain absoluteness, as well. If you shoot a person in the head or any vital organ they WILL die. Considering how close the people in RPG battles are, I doubt they would really need to even improve their aim that much. Also, if you shoot someone, you will always do a ton of damage, assuming you didn't hit their hair or the tips of their fingers, but you'd have to be a pretty good marksman to do that anyway, that would be almost impossible by luck. It doesn't matter though, a lot of things in RPGs just don't make sense. I'm just expressing my frustration over that one particular thing.

As for the guns vs. swords thing, traditionally speaking in RPGs, swords will always do more damage. In real life however, swords by themselves would do less. Chaz, that would be correct if you were actually able to do that... say, the person couldn't move. It's incredibly easier to dodge a sword that a bullet, and swords can be fought, even with sturdy wood. Not to mention if a person with a gun was fighting a person with the sword, while the person with the sword was charging he would be shot. That's why guns are (in real life) so much more effective than swords.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you shoot someone's fingers then it's likely to shatter the hand bones. This is why it's impossible to catch a bullet(Actually, some people can catch bullets, but only inside their bodies. :BB :B ).

A gun is like a third class lever. It has an advantage of speed and distance. And strength.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant the tip of the finger, like just where the nail extends outward from the finger. Again, I doubt it's possible to make a shot that good unless you're either right next to the person or fairly close with a sniper rifle, but it would do more damage than a shot to the hair (it could pull up some part of the nail, cause a cut, whatever) but less than one to the body. It's entirely random.
Ssalamanderr

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the easiest explanation would involve magic. A mage can cast a protective shield around himself to reduce how badly they are hurt. It might not work against swords, Or maybe someone with a gun can't use a shield because magic isn't compatible with technology or something. You could also set the game in a world where armour technology is high, but weapon technology is low. Maybe the main character is some kind of mutant with incredibly strong bones.

Ukelele no good!
Ssalamanderr

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: Guns VS. Swords Reply with quote

Probably the easiest explanation would involve magic. A mage can cast a protective shield around himself to reduce how badly they are hurt. It might not work against swords, Or maybe someone with a gun can't use a shield because magic isn't compatible with technology or something. You could also set the game in a world where armour technology is high, but weapon technology is low. Maybe the main character is some kind of mutant with incredibly strong bones.

Ukelele no good!
Ssalamanderr

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:55 pm    Post subject: Guns VS. Swords Reply with quote

Ukelele no good!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: