Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Vocal samples for textbox line sounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:51 pm    Post subject: Vocal samples for textbox line sounds Reply with quote

For those who aren't following IRC, I worked with TMC on adding a patch that allows the line sound to be customized per textbox. The main reason why I wanted this feature is to allow for 8-bit voice samples that play with each line, making characters feel as if they speak in their own voice (Undertale does this).

With the sound limitation now lifted in SVN master, I went ahead and created a few such samples, and decided they're definitely worth sharing early on. I used a tricky way to create the base voices: The espeak text-to-speech program, which generated great patterns by spelling the letter "O" in the Romanian language Happy I created 32 sound files in total, each tweaked using Audacity. Obviously they will be licensed under the Public Domain.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wmhxz1

Since I'm not sure where to put them, I'll post them on a file host I use... later I might add them to OpenGameArt too. I have not tested them in-game yet, since I didn't have an RPG I wanted to add them to handy. My only issue is that some samples might be a bit too long (over 0.2 seconds) which could overlap too obviously given the fast line speed of OHRRPGCE.

Feel free to make or suggest any changes, in case you believe you can better those sounds! It seems there are no such sounds available on the internet, so hopefully those will be good and useful to many.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for taking so long to get back to this: I just now started working on an RPG where I'm using those sounds, and got around to actually testing them and verifying they work well as sound lines for OHRRPGCE. The package is now available on OpenGameArt:

Download

I would appreciate it if someone could also put them up on the wiki for me; Last time I tried that, I had an error due to a malfunctioning spam list... however I'm not even seeing a page for free sounds, like the one for free tilesets or backdrops!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob for the help in uploading on the wiki! The sounds are now also available on the Free Sound Effects page:

https://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Free_Sound_Effects#Vocal_Sample_Sounds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: