Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

American / Asian / European city tilesets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: American / Asian / European city tilesets Reply with quote

I plan on making a few games where the action takes place in multiple city hubs. For this reason, I needed modern tilesets for cities of various themes. For the past days I worked hard on a modification of the Helheim tileset, plus a few other tilesets Fenrir publicized... cleaning them up and heavily modifying a lot of stuff. I believe this is worth publicizing, and I'm curious what others will make with those tilesets! I might update them in the future, depending on what ideas or issues pop up.

Highlights: Shadow as well as spotlight overlays are included. Functional stop signs, which can be configured using a simple 3 tile animation pattern... street lights can also be on off or flickering using the 2 tile pattern. Contains everything you would expect in a city: Stop signs and street lights, neon signs with commercial panels as well as graffiti overlays, barrels which are either on fire or put out, ladders and fences, and an ATM which can activate an interface using custom menus.

Apart from an underground and interior, the final version includes 3 types of cities: American, Asian, European. Each is different yet similar to the other, trying to fit its theme accordingly. They are also interchangeable... meaning that if make a map with one theme then wish to switch to another, you can simply select another set without having to modify anything else! Like the originals, they are of course released under the Public Domain. Enjoy and let me know what you think!

Note: You'll also need my master palette. If you aren't running the latest version of OHRRPGCE:

Last edited by MirceaKitsune on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:15 am; edited 6 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a quick update, new versions in the first post. Just minor changes... most notably I fixed some roof tiles not aligning properly, and just slightly tinted the shadows to even better simulate the mood of each city.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have additionally created a daytime cycle for my game, which relies on changing the master palette based on 4 tags representing daytime. It uses a map autorun script, which checks the tags and enforces the palettes based on them. The script optionally takes an argument which if greater than zero, forces a specific daytime on that map regardless of tags... useful for making caves always use night colors for instance. The stages are day (normal palette), dusk (sepia tone), night (darker with blue tint), dawn (slightly darker with reddish tint). Here is the script and the daytime palettes:

Code:

#Script to set daytime
plotscript, daytime, time, begin
   #Day
   if ((time == 0 && check tag (2)) || time == 1) then (
      load palette (0)
   )

#Dusk
   if ((time == 0 && check tag (3)) || time == 2) then (
      load palette (1)
   )

#Night
   if ((time == 0 && check tag (4)) || time == 3) then (
      load palette (2)
   )

#Dawn
   if ((time == 0 && check tag (5)) || time == 4) then (
      load palette (3)
   )

#No need to update the palette as long as this is executed as a map autorun script
   #update palette
end

Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good, but it would be easier to judge if you showed them how they actually look when used rather than showing us the tilesets. :-)
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, I have created backgrounds for all of the tilesets. You can now have battles in those cities, or use them to get special cinematic views in textboxes. I should probably put these on the wiki, when I get the time to learn about editing it.

MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Looks good, but it would be easier to judge if you showed them how they actually look when used rather than showing us the tilesets. :-)

I posted some screenshots at the time, though the tilesets were not in their final form back then.

http://i.imgur.com/N3yffN1.png
http://i.imgur.com/qOWf9jE.png
MirceaKitsune

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heads up: The graphics are now also available on OpenGameArt!

http://opengameart.org/content/american-asian-european-city-tilesets
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: