Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Strength Stat Booster and "Spawn When Alone" Probl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbhach

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:40 am    Post subject: Strength Stat Booster and "Spawn When Alone" Probl Reply with quote

Hello:

I’m having some complications with making a strength stat boost item. Sometimes it works just fine, sometimes it won’t work right at all.

When hero A uses item on himself, he gets the correct stat boost, no complications.
When hero A uses item on hero B, hero B gets the stat boost, but hero A gets a stat DEBOOST.

When hero B uses item on hero A, hero A gets the stat boost, but hero B gets a stat DEBOOST.
When hero A uses item on herself, she gets the correct stat boost, seemingly, but her attack does not actually go up.

Also, I’m not sure what order it happened in, but one time when I tried it, (I think it was hero B giving the stat boost item to hero A) hero A suddenly was unable to do anything at all in the battle. His standard frame would move forward a couple of pixels, but then he’d go back to he regular spot and the round would move on to hero B.

I’ve tried testing this in two different save files, one came from my own computer, then one save file from another computer, and they both do exactly the same thing. I’ve attached an image with all of the specifications of the attack/stat boost item that I’m using.

Also, I’m having problems with the “spawn when alone” option under the enemy spawning options. When the enemy in question is alone (a boss, unescapable, and never flinches when attacked), he doesn’t spawn the new enemy. The kind of battle in question is one where you defeat points on a shield surrounding the boss (each point is its own enemy), and the shield disappears, revealing the actual boss for attack. The shield/boss are one enemy, then the spawned enemy would be the boss without the shield on top.

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Calbhach
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can help! :)

First, you don't want the "Absorb damage" bitset turned on. That makes it like a Vampiric attack, taking the stat from the target and giving it to the attacker.

Fixing that will solve part of the problem, and should make it easier to see what other problems might remain.

As for the hero getting stuck, that seems unlikely to be related to this attack. Do you have any chains of attacks that might loop? Do you have any attacks with a "Delay Turns" set to a large number?

As for the "Spawn When Alone" problem, I did a quick check, and it looks like that type of spawning doesn't take effect until the alone enemy gets its next turn. Does the shielded enemy do nothing until the shield is broken?
calbhach

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you so much! The stat booster is now fixed. ^__^ I haven't had the problem with the character getting stuck again, so I'm not sure what caused it or anything, but I'll be on the lookout in case I encounter it again.

Only having one problem now. When the enemy is spawned, it's spawned into a new location instead of replacing the old sprite, so I have both the shield sprite in its old location and the new sprite in the totally wrong location. LOL
calbhach

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I forgot to mention that no, there are no chains of attacks currently; most of it's very basic. Also, no "delay turns" either. ^^
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of alone-spawning, I think you should take a different approach. Spawning gives you no control over which slot gets used.

Instead, I suggest using transmogrification.

Make an attack that targets Self, and transmogrifies the target into the unshielded enemy

Give that attack to the shielded enemy as their only "Alone" attack
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum