Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Adding in combinations abilites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
0 The Fool

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Adding in combinations abilites Reply with quote

Hey guys I was wondering if some could show me how to be able to combine abilities like in battle.

So let's say I'm fighting some body, and I choose a fire spell, and I want to combine it with an ice spell, and make it do something cool. But I also want the option just to do the fire/ice spell alone in battle as well.
Thank you
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real combos like that don't work, but you could fairly easily create seperate spells.

Going by your example, let's say you have Fire and Ice and want to combine it to Water. You could simply create 3 skills, Fire, Ice and Water.

If you want to categorize it more you can make a special skill section "Combo" instead of just putting it into your normal spell list.

Of course that's no different than just normal skills. To extend this a bit you could make a plotscript that checks for the skills learned and automatically adds and removes combo skills to the characters that have these skills. I'm not sure how much plotscripting allows, but it most likely also works via multiple heroes. So the script might do "If hero 1 has Ice and hero 2 has Fire add skill Water into the Combo section of both heroes".
Then you just need to call the script on every occurence the combo skills could change (e.g. party member change, after battle if you learn skills from leveling up or after a skill-granting item was used).

If you don't want other heroes to act while a combo skill is prepared you could for example make them "Sleep" for the duration of the skill and then link to the actual skill.

Another approach would be to use elemental counters for it. A monster hit by a fire spell will spawn a "fire gem" monster that is pretty much inactive, can't be targetted and doesn't need to be killed (and probably kills itself after a while). Then if that fire gem is targetted by the ice spell, it will automatically trigger the combo skill "water".
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
0 The Fool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks that is pretty helpful. I'll try it out.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

The script commands you want are 'knowsspell' and 'teachspell'. You should set you script to update combos as the after-battle script on every map if you gain skills through levelup, and also the on-close script for the main menu if you can learn spells from items.

If you want to combine skills that two different heroes have, as Rya described, rather than two spells for the same hero, then you might also like to check they're both alive before the skill succeeds. You can do that with tag-checking chain conditions and the "Set tag # if alive" conditions on the heroes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum