Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

I noticed something

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: I noticed something Reply with quote

First of all, this is about music. Music is art, right? Is it okay if we talk about music here?

I noticed that the castle theme from FF1 is the exact same chord progression as Basket Case (Greenday), but in the key of D rather than E.

Does anyone else think this is totally whacked?
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you notice, man, you'll realize that many songs nowadays can pull the same chord sequences as other songs.

For example, many guitar players know this sequence:

G D Em C

Those four chords you see make up many of today's songs. Basketcase's chords (if in fact the song is in E, which I think it is), would be:

E B C#m G#m

A E B

Now if that last "B" would be substituted with an "A" then a "B", you'd have a transposed version of Pachbell's Canon (which I think is based in D).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
djfenix

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chord progression in those songs (including Canon) are used quite frequently, as Setu mentioned. There was a special name for this progression, but I cant remember the name... (shows how much I listen to my teacher -.-)
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're called Power Chords. I thought that's what they were called, but Chaz said that that's their name

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought it was wierd, because the band Green Day did not grow up with Final Fantasy, but as you said, Setu, that same progression is used in various keys in many other songs.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Re Me Fa So La Te Dooo! (voice cracks)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: