Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Game translations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Translations

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Game translations Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I study translation in a French university and we have this one course that offers NGOs (and others) free translations (of their websites etc).
It is however possible to extend those services to entities offering free products or services. That is why I'm posting here.
Some of us are interested in translating/localizing indie games and I'd like to know if any of you guys were interested.
Languages include French, English, Spanish and possibly German.
It is absolutely imperative that the games be "Free-to-play", which seems to be the case on this forum.

So please let me know if you're interested.

Thanks! Big grin
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very interesting.

Translating an RPG is a very big task, because there is so much text, but there certainly might be some people interested. Thank you for offering!
Translations

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster wrote:
That is very interesting.

Translating an RPG is a very big task, because there is so much text, but there certainly might be some people interested. Thank you for offering!

There will probably be quite a decent amount of students working on it so it's all good Razz
Buni M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds tres bien! Happy My game's nowhere near complete yet (or even released), or I'd love to see it in Spanish or French. However, I think some of the really popular games on here like Wandering Hamster would be great to translate and share with the rest of the world. There's an option to import and export text boxes. With that said, all the accent marks in those languages mean that you may have to be careful with the use of extended characters in the system.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with Wandering Hamster is that it is not complete. Because of the way text in ohrrpgce games, it wouldn't be realistic to translate a game that was not finished yet. If you did, then future updates would have to be re-done for each translation.
Translations

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Just to make yourself aware of how we work, here's a little bit of text:

As for our "organization", we are representative of a group of students at the french Université Rennes 2. We are all students of this university in the Translation Master, which is part of the EMT (European Masters in Translation). One of our courses allow us to provide voluntary translation to ANY organization/individual whose "product" is not designed to be sold. As it is voluntary, money should not be part of the dev intentions.

As for our translation process, here's how we envision it:

- We have a group of approx. 13 people interested.
- If a developper/user is willing to have his/her game translated, then he/she can contact us and give us some information about the game (e.g. number of words, specific features, games he/she took as inspiration, etc.). If the dev/user is not able to give us these information (i.e. because you can't export texts from OHRRPGCE), then we will need to have access to the game.
- After we are allowed access to the game, we will make a terminology search that our project leaders (one in 2nd year of Master, one in 1st) will validate and create the glossary.
- Once the terminology step is done, we split the text between the translators (all of which are translating to their mother language) and we perform the translation while always referring to the glossary created.
- Then, we give each translator the translated file of another translator so he can review it.
- After the review, we compile the files and send them back.

After a game is translated, it's up to the dev/user to see how he/she wants to implement this/make it available online. If he/she is not able to do this by himself/herself, it's something we can discuss before translating.
Obviously something we could do at our level is to make people at the university aware that we have translated this game, but our Master doesn't have an "advertising" status.

I hope this sheds some light on how we'd work.

Not all of us (maybe no one actually...) have experience with the files extensions you referenced. When we work using Computer Assisted Tools (CAT), we use either Trados or MemoQ, but these need all kinds of files so I'm not sure it would be best.

I truly think it would be best for us to have plain text files that we could work on. The flip side for the dev is that he/she has to re-implement all of the text in the software he/she's using.

However, if there really is no other option than working with the files you told about, we could try anyway, but we'd need to get tutorials online so it may take a bit longer.

If any dev is interested, please do not hesitate to contact us via PM or this post. We can discuss details and all of this, there is no problem Happy

Thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: