Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sweet Home: OHR Ver.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the "Edit Graphics" menu.

Then go to "Change Box Styles" (if that menu option does not exist, go into "Change User Interface Colors" instead, which is where the box styles used to be located)

You can choose which border each box style will use in that menu.
Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That worked. Thanks James.

Here's an example of the bridge. There are three in the main area. Could you please elaborate on the "write block" function?

Also, is there a way to shrink the text boxes horizontally?

EDIT//

Found an old playable demo of RE version 1 at this site.

http://www.compmike19.com/id503.htm
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the example from Wandering Hamster:
Code:

global variable(9,under bridge)

plotscript, tweak bridges, flag=0, begin
  if (flag==1) then (under bridge:=true)
  if (flag==2) then (under bridge:=false)
  if (under bridge)
  then(write pass block (144,7,northwall+southwall+overhead tile) )
  else(write pass block (144,7,eastwall+westwall) )
end

"under bridge" remembers where the hero currently is.
The script is called in four places: with argument 0 in the map autorun and afterbattle scripts, to update the bridge graphics depending on the current state, and there are step-on activated npcs surroundind the bridge, which call it with either argument 1 or 2.

You will need to use multiple "write pass block" calls since your bridge is larger.. Since your bridge doesn't use multiple layers, you can just use obsolete overhead tile bits in the passmap, like James did, rather than using the 'writemapblock' command at all.

Also, for your walking animation script, this new article should be some help:
http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Scripts:Change_hero_sprite_when_standing_still
Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks TMC. I think that script will work perfectly for what I need.

I've got about 10% of the game imported, along with the new character table.

For the "examine" function, I guess the easiest way would be to disable to "enter" key and use it exclusively for that command in the menu. Once I get the original game imported about 80%, I'll start the actual programming, and graphics update; adding the new translation case by case. Next step is getting the 3-frame stage animations working.

EDIT//

According to this tutorial: http://rpg.hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/Animating_Maptiles

You can only animate 2 maptiles. Is plot scripting necessary?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, there are two maptile animation patterns per tileset (Is the article confusing?). Each animation pattern can be applied to any 48 consecutive tiles in the tileset. If you need to use more than two patterns there is a simple solution: use multiple layers with different tilesets.
Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm a bit rusty so please bear with me.
Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, almost 11,000 views. Looks like there's some interest in this game.

I backed up all the data to an external harddrive, and I plan on reviving this project sometime in the future. Anyone interested in helping out with the graphics and programming?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, nice to see you haven't given up.

I don't want to commit to such a project. But I wonder how much scripting it actually needs. Seems like it's on the scale that you could just ask questions about parts you don't know how to do?

I think the page views is 99% due to bots, although it seems that there's still various people who browse these forums without posting.
Welsh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a bit of scripting. Frankly, I'm not much of a programmer which is why the project got postponed. Plus, I had to make sure Capcom was OK with it. They basically said, "Nobody cares about Sweet Home anymore".

TMC, what I'll do is import the rest of the data and go from there. A kickstarter might also be an option, in which case the level of quality will improve significantly.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow really, you got the all-clear from Capcom? I was going to say (having read your post from bottom to top for some reason) that it would otherwise certainly not be allowed on Kickstarter. Plus, if you actually manage to make money off a Sweet Home port, do you know that Capcom won't change their mind? Sounds unlikely to me that they still wouldn't care.

There are also other sites like Indiegogo, but it really doesn't make sense to look for funding before you actually know you can make the game, which you don't if you don't have someone on-board to do the scripting. I suggest that you ask on Slime Salad, far more people will see it than here.

BTW looking back over the thread I see you were asking about three-framing walking animations. There is now a better script for that available: 'Scripts:Three-frame walking'
Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capcom Japan doesn't care. The USA branch is just a subsidiary of the head office. So, it's pretty much cleared. Also, it wouldn't be for profit. I'll never get back the time and money I spent researching and tearing this game to pieces, not to mention the Japanese artwork. If I decide to crowdfund, all of it will go towards staff (pixel artists, programmer, music composer, translator, sfx composer, etc.) and seeing the project to completion with a physical copy in under a year. The amount wouldn't be a lot, but it should be enough to keep staff motivated.

As far as game design goes, I've been helping out with a lot of projects like the "enhanced" remastered version of Biohazard. Here's a screen shot of a near complete re-designed room (rear entrance).

Plus I'm buddies with a few Capcom guys. Here's an interview with the scenario writer of RE3: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-18-inside-the-resident-evil-4-that-never-was

Frankly, I'm tired of "helping" with projects. This game has a special place in my heart and I want to oversee it. So, anyone interested, please let me know.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you seem pretty motivated! I definitely hope you succeed.
You said... years ago now... that you already had artists and translators for the project, but is that still true? What are you actually recruiting for? Seems the scripting is the bottleneck. Maybe you should give some more detail on what actually needs to be scripted. Not having played the game, I can only guess. I suppose there are a lot of cutscenes/events in addition to scripting the mechanics of the game.
Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sorted through the original text dump, and organized everything. Then did a basic translation to further organize it. A professional translator was helping out, but he got caught up with a Final Fantasy project for PS2. His work was quality. After that, another translator joined, but never finished. At the time, we didn't have the context for each event and message. We were randomly jumping all over. Every line of text, retail and otherwise, is now sorted as to where it goes and in what order. I've just been picking away at it. The Japanese guidebooks and sample version also helped a lot with the unused content, which will be exclusive to this edition.

Again, an artist joined, but wasn't able to produce good quality pixel art because he was trained in 3D. The project was postponed around that time.

I'm slowing importing everything into OHR, adding placeholders where necessary. Once that's done and the master palette is completed, we'll know exactly how many extra colors are available. Then the idea is to simply "enhance" the backgrounds, NPCs, characters, enemies, etc. in the same fashion as an NES game would be ported to the SNES, using reference material where available. Final Fantasy is a good example. Just add more colors. All the battles and events will be remade using artwork. A sound composer joined yesterday, so that part is taken care of.

Then, naturally, a programmer will tackle the challenge of reproducing a game system that was unique. I think the most difficult part is going to be the partner system, and the drop-item command. Basically, each character can only carry two items, and must exchange one for those found in the game. The rest is pretty standard RPG stuff, less the customized item and battle menu.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this time I looked at a video of the fan translation. Maybe I miunderstood, but it looks like each character can carry thee items, plus their main weapon/tool (e.g. a camera). It looks like a fair amount of work to script everything, although not too bad. It did seem that the controls are slightly awkward due to having to go into the menu constantly to interact with things on the map. How exactly do you want to copy the original interface?
DragonChaserKev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only does this project look ambitious it looks like it's coming along great. Once my game is done I look forward to playing this. Even though what your doing I am sure is much more massive and difficult than what I'm trying to do you seem more competent and skilled and Sweet Home OHR Edition will be a million seller by the time I finish mine. Raspberry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: