Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Here's a short screen captured video of my game...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sheamkennedy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Here's a short screen captured video of my game... Reply with quote

NOTE: This area is not finished. There are no enemies, there's a lack of walls in places, and nothing you see so far is final...

All of your opinions and suggestions are welcome and may very well shape how the game turns out. You can either comment here or in the Youtube comment section, it doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlS5cU1HE6Y
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like how you did the tower rotation at the beginning. Very clever!

I really like the hero sprites-- at least the first 2. I am having trouble understanding what the floating 3rd hero is. Some kind of hovering monster and/or robot?
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice mapping ideas with the tower rotation and the hanging on the rope. I wouldn't say great map design because that of course still depends on how well these elements work together which is hard to tell from the video.

Tower rotation - found it hard to see it clearly at the start, first it looks like they are just teleporting, but after a while you can see the rotation by looking a bit above the heroes.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
sheamkennedy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. The third hero is a floating robot. I hope that becomes more clear once it is seen in battles and stuff.

As for the pillar rotation, thank you for your helpful suggestions earlier with creating a door code that prevents the screen from fading in and out. I think the rotation looks a lot better now than it did before. I do feel it's not 100% obvious that there is a rotation occurring. Perhaps someone could help me devise a better way to pull that feature off. I was thinking about possibly doing the rotation as an animation but wasn't sure how that would work and how much effort would need to go in to drawing every last angle of the pillar as it rotates. If you have any ideas of how I could clean this feature up a bit please let me know.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not sure how much rotation would be required, maybe just adding one single frame in between would already work, or rotate per each step and make the hero walk on place rather than teleport, but then you'll need to make lots of map parts for it (and it will look strange with caterpillar).
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
sheamkennedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I'll look in to that too. Someone on Slime Salad mentioned that there may be some plotscripting functions that will allow me to position my caterpillar party so the party won't regroup. I feel that could be one of the many issues affecting the visuals. Adding an in between frame is a good idea. I don't feel like drawing the new frames just yet since the original frames took me a really long time. I may end up doing this in a finalized version of the game to make it look a little more clean and professional.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest using a script similar to this:

Code:

script, adjust caterpillar for tower, begin
  suspend caterpillar
  variable(x, y, xd)
  x := hero pixel x(0)
  y := hero pixel y(0)
  xd := 1
  if(hero direction(0) == east) then(xd := -1)
  variable(i)
  for(i, 1, 3) do(
    put hero(i, x + i * 20 * xd, y -- i)
  )
  resume caterpillar
end

First it suspends the caterpillar party.

Then it stores the position of the leader.

Then it checks which direction you want the caterpillar party to extend based on the current direction of the leader.

Then it loops through the rest of the party and repositions them behind the leader, and slightly up.

Finally it turns back on the caterpillar party.
sheamkennedy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll give that a try once I get some spare time. The homework's building up so it'll be a bit before I try it but I'll let you know if I need any further help implementing that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: