Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Where is everyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Where is everyone? Reply with quote

Ok, so I haven't posted in years but I thought of OHR today and I thought I'd see what everyone was doing these days and it seems like there isn't much activity going on anymore. Do people still use OHR? Is there some other tool people are using these days? Where is the community! I noticed Hamster Speak has stopped too. That's too bad!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Where is everyone? Reply with quote

Crown wrote:
Ok, so I haven't posted in years but I thought of OHR today and I thought I'd see what everyone was doing these days and it seems like there isn't much activity going on anymore. Do people still use OHR? Is there some other tool people are using these days? Where is the community! I noticed Hamster Speak has stopped too. That's too bad!

Hello, Crown!

Yes, there are still a few hearty users of the ohrrpgce. The community tents to use the slimesalad forums a little more, but I do check castleparadox myself almost every day myself.

Right now we have a contest going to make 8-bit styled games with a max of 16 colors in the master palette, and a max of 4 colors (including transparent) in sprites and maptiles... but I haven't noticed anybody posting screenshots yet, so i don't know if everybody is hard at work, or if nobody is working at all! ;)
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, everyone except me moved to SlimeSalad, though TMC and James still hang around here and help people with plotscripting questions. That's really the only activity here.

I'm more active on RMN and help people with suggestions and write reviews, but there are not many OHRRPGCE games submitted to RMN (the engine itself is registered so you can also register games made with the engine there).

I'm not really happy with the community too much anymore, because I feel less and less games getting actually finished and those that are are usually just short minigames made during contests, so I expanded my view to all indie RPGs and help out wherever someone is actually interested in my help.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Crown

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I checked Slime Salad as well and it wasn't too busy either. I'm trying to find a group of people who are just hanging out making games, like this place used to be. I'll definitely check out RMN. I'm working on a strategy game right now that doesn't use one of those engines. Do you guys know of any other online community with gaming enthusiasts that is similar to this place or RMN?

Thanks for getting back to me so quick! Its too bad this place isn't as active any more.
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slime salad is more active, but not by quite as much, admittedly.
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown wrote:
Yeah, I checked Slime Salad as well and it wasn't too busy either. I'm trying to find a group of people who are just hanging out making games, like this place used to be. I'll definitely check out RMN. I'm working on a strategy game right now that doesn't use one of those engines. Do you guys know of any other online community with gaming enthusiasts that is similar to this place or RMN?

http://www.tigsource.com/
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Crown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, I'll check that out. Are you guys at tigsource?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lately activity on Slime Salad seems to be episodic: when there is a contest or discussion thread or some other reason to post people do, but it gets quiet in-between.

Although there are definitely fewer people around, I believe the silence is in good part because a lot of users have been around for a long time and have gotten bored of posting on forums. People often won't post about their game before releasing it.

Both CP and SS are intended to host non-OHR games too, but many of the users don't realise that. However gosting a non-OHR game on CP is now pretty pointless since this place is only used for answering the occasional OHR question now. Any details about your game?

(I'm don't go to tigsource)

Last edited by TMC on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigsource is a really cool site, but I almost never read the forums there, simply because they are so very active I feel overwhelmed by the impossible-to-fulfil need to read every thread.

15 years of daily frequenting of low-traffic game-making forums has left me somewhat ill-equipped to cope with the big ones :)
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends how you are making your games. TIGSource is mostly visited by pure programmers or game designer, people who use RPG makers or other editors will rather visit the community boards of those RPG makers, so you won't see OHRRPGCE or RPG Maker people there usually.

TIGSource is pretty big, alone from discussing about your game there you can already get a small fanbase (if you are talented).

If you are making something with an RPGMaker I personally think RMN is best, because it unites the different communities and has people actually interested in feedback.

If you just go CP/SS you are limited to only one engine and hardly see people discussing, because they are just working on their games. And I feel OHRRPGCE users are generally not too open to feedback on their games anyway - they just want to make the game they want it to be like and not in a way it'll be popular / successful.

There are also smaller elitist gamer communities, but it's hard to get into them, you can't even register on their forums without a personal recommendation or evaluation of the admin (if you made a well-known game already, your chances are higher).
Crown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rya for the summary about your observations about each board. My game is an iPad game called "Sunset Over Lievnos". Its made in Objective C and I'm using the Cocos2D engine to handle the graphics. You can check it out at www.sunsetoverlievnos.com Anyway, I'm actually finding it a little difficult to find the right community to participate in. Places like tigsource seem pretty cool, but I definitely agree with you Bob that they are too overwhelming with content. Its much harder to get to 'know' someone with so many people posting. Plus there are fewer in depth discussions and nobody really cares what you are doing. I like forums like this (when it was a bit busier) because you can actually have a small community and get to know people. I used to chat with a bunch of guys who were designing and playing a pen and paper Mega Man RPG. Not everyone was involved in the game but people would draw some art and give ideas and it was a good time. I have been in a few communities like those over the years but its hard to find anything like that these days.

So yeah, if you ever find a smaller dev forum that sounds promising let me know!

So what are you guys working on anyway? Are you guys coders? Artists? Hobbyist?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crown wrote:
... My game is an iPad game called "Sunset Over Lievnos". ...

The screenshots you have posted so far look nice! I am digging the art style :)

What is the gameplay like?

Crown wrote:
So what are you guys working on anyway? Are you guys coders? Artists? Hobbyist?

I am working on polishing up the Android port of the OHRRPGCE, and I am also working on an Android/iOS game called "Bob the Hamster Dirt Dig" written in python+kivy
BMR
Aspiring Megalomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A hobbyist game maker pretty much. Though I am getting more and more involved with coding at work.

And yeah, I agree, it is rather nice to be able to actually get to know people here. That's one thing I like about smaller communities. In the really large ones it can be quite challenging to form any sort of connection with anyone or to even care what others are doing. Sure, it happens, but it's easier with smaller communities. Though aye, it would be nice if things got a bit busier, hehe.

EDIT: And I suppose I'm a CP lurker as well, heh.
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster wrote:
I almost never read the forums there, simply because they are so very active I feel overwhelmed by the impossible-to-fulfil need to read every thread.

I feel the same way about very active forums. Confused So overwhelming! Confused
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
BMR
Aspiring Megalomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparrowhawk wrote:
Bob the Hamster wrote:
I almost never read the forums there, simply because they are so very active I feel overwhelmed by the impossible-to-fulfil need to read every thread.

I feel the same way about very active forums. Confused So overwhelming! Confused

Heh, pretty much why I dropped out of the dA forums back when I was still active there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: