Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Sword of Jade 1.12: Critical attack bug fix!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 pm    Post subject: Sword of Jade 1.12: Critical attack bug fix! Reply with quote

Download:

Last updated: May 22, 2017

(Download links will return in the future)

Update notes:

May 14, 2018
Stealth update - updated links to HTTPs because I've migrated to a host that lets me finally use Let's Encrypt. The game files themselves have not updated.

May 22, 2017

A critical bug that made some attacks one hit kill and erased a bunch of weak/strong bits in the battle engine due to upgrading the engine was just discovered. This update fixes the bug by restoring the proper attack bitsets thanks to a patch from TMC.

The DOS version is not updated in this update. The Android/Amazon store versions will be updated at a later time.

July 30th, 2015

will add more notes later!

- DOS version updated to Hasta La QB+

April 14th
- Some minor changes
- Updated to match latest stable engine release

March 24

- Fixed more of the credits. All credits should be proper now for the content in the game

- Cleaned out some unused data

- Various enemies have been assigned new death animations that the engine now supports

Previous

- Sword of Jade data file now updated to latest engine version
- Sword of Jade reverted to standard .rpg file (computers are now fast enough to unlump it in a reasonable amount of time)
- Remnants of commercial music tracks finally removed completely.
- Junk data and NEEDS DESCRIPTION removed from all attacks.
- GAME.EXE browse data updated to reflect updated copyright
- Title Screen updated
- Intro credits and end game credits changed to reflect soundtrack change
- Developer room URL updated

This is now the only acknowledged official version of Sword of Jade. If you are hosting previous versions, please replace it with this version. If you are linking an old version, please point at this version. Thank you.

Last edited by FyreWulff on Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:20 am; edited 28 times in total
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Wow Reply with quote

EDIT: reverted my edit since Fyre replied.

Oh no you don't! You put the manual in the downloads right this instant, you hear?

I'm amused to see that I am no longer given as the contact for support.

Also, did any improvements (sound effects) end up in this version? (Did Fenrir ever finish adding sound effects?)

Last edited by TMC on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not in this release. This was mostly just cleanup. If anyone was adding SFX, I've never seen those versions.

It was also my first usage of the distribution package generator. Pretty neat feature!

The manual will be re-added down the road, because it needs to be updated as well (it's still written around the game running in MSDOS)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You probably wouldn't want anyone to play this version anyway.

Fenrir was adding sound effects maybe a year ago, or so I heard. Can't remember if I ever asked him directly about it. I assume he never finished it.

I also was doing a little cleanup on the scripts to allow them to be compiled with a modern version of HSpeak, but never finished. It's a lot of work and I gave up making sense of the nonsensical "if then else else" constructs. If you want to compile them, I recommend just using an ancient version.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Script cleanup was targeted for a future update. I'll have to wait until the super-crunch from my current development contract is over, though.

edit: Because it'll have to be done in one go, since any script fixes need all the scripts to be able to compile again. Which will hold up anything to be done afterwards.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of something important about the Linux .deb packaging.

I need to do something about name collisions. Simply using the game's short name will often be unsafe.

"jade" as a packagename conflicts with the Jade engine for SGML in both Debian and Ubuntu's repositories

A much safer default value for .deb package name would be a sanitized version of the game's long title, so something like swordofjade or sword-of-jade

I would love to figure out a scheme to warn about conflicts with existing packages. I know a perfect solution is impossible, but I think a decent solution is within reach.

EDIT: also, minor separate issue, the fyrewulff.com server seems to be sending .deb files as text instead of binaries. That is probably a mine-types configuration problem.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, didn't know about that. I'll pull it for the moment and rename it to something safer when I fix what's going on with the server.

edit: unless i'm confused about the package name part of the problem and it's metadata in the .deb file, and not the actual filename itself
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Server should be handling the .deb file properly now
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Renaming the deb file does not change the package name. The filename and package name matching is only a convention.

To fix, go to "Distribute Game" and then to "Edit Distribution Info" and change the package name there. sword-of-jade would be a good package name, consistent with the naming scheme of other game packages.

I guess basing the package name on the Game's LongName from the General Game Data screen would have problems too. That would have defaulted to:

s-w-o-r-d---of---j-a-d-e

if I had done it that way :)
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. All 3 versions updated (caught some other copyright stuff I needed to change).

I guess this also renames the exported .rpg file so old saves will have to be renamed.

edit: just refreshed all the files -again- with two replacement tracks that can be heard at the beginning of the game (skip proem). Not sure how feasible replacing with ogg will be, might have to go with midis instead..
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you could still make the package name default to being based on the long name rather than the filename, right/

I've been wondering... isn't the most universal way to distribute a game on Linux to just throw the binary and data files in a .tar.gz? I think we should offer that.

I still think it would be great if CP and SS were to offer automatic repackaging of .zips, removing the Windows version of the OHR if any and repackaging with the desired build of Game. I think I'll implement that right this moment...
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
But you could still make the package name default to being based on the long name rather than the filename, right/

I've been wondering... isn't the most universal way to distribute a game on Linux to just throw the binary and data files in a .tar.gz? I think we should offer that.

I still think it would be great if CP and SS were to offer automatic repackaging of .zips, removing the Windows version of the OHR if any and repackaging with the desired build of Game. I think I'll implement that right this moment...

I was working on a game upload app, it asks you to upload an .rpg then packages it into the .zip and .tar.gz automatically on each upload. Haven't quite figured out how to properly pair it with the correct version of game if it needed a specific version, though.

edit: it'd also be nice if there was an option to build all the distributions at once.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I do want to add a .tar.gz distrib option in addition to the .deb I just got distracted and never got to it.

I really hate every single Windows port of tar.exe that I have ever worked with, so that was the main thing slowing me down.

I believe the only way to get file permissions correct in a tar created from windows is to run tar in append mode once for every single dang file (and even then, some versions of tar.exe still can't do it right)

That conclusion made me want to write my own tar utility, but I bogged down quickly on that, and moved on to other things.
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE Feb 8th (links remain the same)

whatsnew.post:

- Some of the original soundtrack restored
- Two of the public domain BAM/MIDIs upgraded to orchestrated OGGs
- Basic sound effects added (just selection/cancel for now)
- Old commercial BAM fallbacks deleted AGAIN.
jcenterprises

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the songs here still crashes Custom when you play it. Also...NOOO GAHN'S SUPER COOL THEME IS GONE! Oookay...

Edit:Also, the .hss files are missing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: