Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Pony walkabout sprites! (Now with all of the Mane Six!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkinbot
Rock beats scissors! >:D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:08 am    Post subject: Pony walkabout sprites! (Now with all of the Mane Six!) Reply with quote

First and foremost, if you don't like ponies, nobody's forcing you to look at the following thread. There will be candy colored horses. You have been warned.

Now that that obligatory warning is out of the way, here's a walkabout sprite I threw together for Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, and Rainbow Dash. I haven't gotten around to anyone else yet, but I'll get there!

So, any constructive criticism? Praise? Scorn? Blind, biased rage? Polite, yet harsh words said with a posh British accent? A phrase in some random language that sounds like it may be an insult, but actually isn't?

EDIT: Mane Six is done! I've also tweaked the legs on one of the sideways walking frames. Compare it to the one above with just Twilight, Rarity, and Dash.

Thoughts, constructive criticism, etc?

Last edited by Pumpkinbot on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really cute.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job!, I am impressed that you managed to get that much detail into 20x20. The OHR's walkabouts are definitely not optimal for ponies, so I can see that took some clever pixeling.
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster wrote:
Good job!, I am impressed that you managed to get that much detail into 20x20. The OHR's walkabouts are definitely not optimal for ponies, so I can see that took some clever pixeling.

Oh! I impressed the man, er, hamster himself! <3

But seriously, thanks, both of you! :3 Any way I could make them better, perhaps? Colors? I'm a bit worried about Rainbow Dash's mane and tail, with all those colors. It's supposed to be a gradient from red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, but I only managed to fit so many colors on it. >.< Is it fine as is, or is there a better way I could go about this?

EDIT: Done with the Mane Six! Putting it on the OP.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, those look quite good.

You could fit more colours on the tail by using a sort of chequer pattern. But I think it's fine as it is.

I'm surprised by the change you made to the legs. Does that improve the walking animation? I would have expected the first style to be better, but maybe that flickers too much?
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
Good job, those look quite good.

You could fit more colours on the tail by using a sort of chequer pattern. But I think it's fine as it is.

I'm surprised by the change you made to the legs. Does that improve the walking animation? I would have expected the first style to be better, but maybe that flickers too much?

For the tails, do you mean a checkerboard pattern? Like dithering? Well, maybe, but there's really not a lot of room to do it on a three pixel wide tail. I think I'll keep it as is, for now. I don't think there's much else I could do.

And I changed the walking animation because the legs closest to the viewer didn't seem to be moving very much, though, now that you mention it, it doesn't look like the further two legs are moving. >.< I may look at them later, but I should probably get started on tilesets now (even though I reeeeeeally don't want to...)
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:

I was wondering that too, so I opened up Photoshop and animated them to see for myself. Personally, I think the older one looks better, but that's just my opinion. Oookay...

Old:
New:

Also, while I'm not big on ponies, I gotta say that these sprites look pretty accurate and are quite cute. I can't wait to see how you do the battle sprites and enemies! Big grin
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305

Last edited by Sparoku on Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:23 am; edited 3 times in total
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I meant a chequerboard pattern. And looking at the animated sprites (thanks Sparrow) I also prefer the older walking animation.
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for those GIFs! The old one -does- look better. I'll change it back to that. Raspberry! And thanks for the compliments! :3

And I think I'll keep Dash's tail as it is, but I might use some dithering later in bigger tilesets or something. :v
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree, the old one looks better. In the new one she only walks with the right side which is kinda weird unless she hurt her other two legs (poor twilight).

But you should still change it: Look at her front right leg. It's the old animation it points "backwards" even when "front", this looks wrong. The front animation should be like the one in the new animation. Hope you know what I mean.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Pumpkinbot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
I also agree, the old one looks better. In the new one she only walks with the right side which is kinda weird unless she hurt her other two legs (poor twilight).

But you should still change it: Look at her front right leg. It's the old animation it points "backwards" even when "front", this looks wrong. The front animation should be like the one in the new animation. Hope you know what I mean.
Yeah, I've change it since then, I just haven't had a lot of time to work on the project recently, as I've just became an uncle on Monday! Happy

But I'll try to do some more walkabouts and posts what I have now. I've already made a certain wall-eyed mare... :3
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, congrats!
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
(thanks Sparrow)

Pumpkinbot wrote:
Ah, thanks for those GIFs!

You're welcome! Glad to help! ^.^ Also, congrats on becoming an Uncle. Big grin
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: