Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Work beginning on Mecha-NiX!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
I'm not so sure about that. I think cheap LCD monitors have far worse pictures than decent CRT monitors. LCD screens have many different visual artifacts that CRTs just don't have. I'm using an old (yet flatscreen) CRT and it's just perfect for covering unneeded desk space, not to mention doubling as a heater!

Not cheap (bad wording on my part Oookay...), rather an affordable monitor, CRT monitors have always lead me to eye strain and I was making a rather poor attempt at being a paragon of eye justice!

I find that my £80 (40$ ish) wide-screen LCD does the job and has a nice colour depth as-well. I understand that TheSpazztikOne is a student, thus the recommendation for an economy value LCD.

Oh, also... flatscreen CRTs are a thing?! I recall earlier flatscreen being chunky, but I didn't realise they were CRTs. Is the colour depth any better on them? Do they cause the gawd-awful eye-strain that came with the "bubble" monitors?

tl;dr sorry for being vague, sorry for being a tad pragmatic too :S that wasn't intentional.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid I have no idea what you mean by eyestrain; or rather, what is causing your eyestrain.

There are different types of LCD; here's one article I recently happened across. If you're complaining about colour depth of an LCD, maybe it's a TN monitor. I've wasn't previously aware that there were differences in colour depth (figured they were used 256 intensity levels) between different types of monitors. But I find limited viewing angles and weird artifacts like flickering chequer patterns on (only some types of?) LCDs really annoying.

By flatscreen CRT, I mean a CRT with a flat screen as opposed to a convex screen. Much nicer: you can comfortably view it from larger angles. Especially important for TVs. Maybe they were only called flatscreens before flat TVs were introduced. (Kids these days)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: