Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Error: file ___ not found

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Django

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Error: file ___ not found Reply with quote

Hi there! After several days of fiddling with graphics and such, I'm finally starting to move into plotscripting - or trying to, anyways! Whenever I try to upload a plotscript file, it begins uploading, and then gives me the error "file (filename) not found."

If anyone knows of anything that might clear this up, it would be much appreciated.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the filename? (Mainly: what is the extension?)

Are you trying to import an .hss file or a .hs file you manually compiled with HSpeak? If the former, does HSpeak run and successfully compile your scripts when you import them?
Django

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a manually compiled .txt file. I'm using textedit on a Mac, and it's saved in plain text. Incidentally, I've looked at scripts from other games, and they're saved as .txt files, as near as I can tell. When I try to upload them into my game, it seems to upload fine, but still gives me a "compile failed" messages in Custom. Is there some way to convert/save it to an .hss? Is there something simple I'm just missing?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The extension of your plain text/uncompiled script file should be either .hss or .txt (a number of people insist on using .txt instead of .hss). Custom shows files ending with .hss or .txt (if they appear to be scripts) or .hs in the file browser. HSpeak compiles a script file and produces a binary .hs file. HSpeak is normally run automatically by Custom, but you can invoke it manually. (On Macs, the hspeak program is hidden inside the OHRRPGCE-Custom app bundle)

Anyway, I'm afraid I still don't totally understand what you're describing (and in particular, whether any of the error messages display in HSpeak rather than Custom).

As I understand it, when you try to import the .txt files from other games, HSpeak pops up in a Terminal window and compiles the script. If so, does the output end with "done (X seconds) [Press any key]" or with an error? Or do you only see "Compilation failed" in Custom?

And when you try to import your own scripts .txt file, you instead immediately get the error "File <scripfile.txt> not found" in Custom (with HSpeak not launching)?

Which version are you using? The latest, Alectormancy+2? Bty the way, we recently fixed that terrible Mac bug in Alectormancy+2 where pressing left/right on numerical settings causes the value to change to some random number. Will release Alectormancy+3 soon (or you can use a nightly build).
Django

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, let's see if I can clarify with a step-by-step.

1. I open Game.rpg in Custom. I select Script Management --> Compile and/or Import Scripts.

2. I locate the script file, in this case located in Desktop --> RPG Files (the same folder where I keep Game.rpg)

3. Terminal opens, and brings up Error: File sampletext.txt not found. Press any key to continue.

4. I close Terminal and Custom gives me the message "Compilation Failed."

When I try to upload a script from a different game, in this case located in Desktop --> RPG Files --> Vikings of Midgard --> Viking script files (also a .txt file), it compiles in Terminal and says Done. Press any key to continue. When I return to Custom, it still says Compilation Failed.

I might have inadvertently solved my problem, though. I tried moving Game.hsi and sampletext.txt to a parent folder of Game.rpg (well, in this case, just Desktop), and it compiled the script without a problem. I then tried it in a different folder (Desktop --> Msc.), and it again compiled successfully. I tried in a sub folder (Desktop --> RPG Files --> Texts), and it gave me Error: file not found.

So I suppose this isn't a terrible issue anymore, but I'm still curious as to whether or not there's an optimal location to save the .hsi and .txt files for a game?
Django

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm running Alectormancy+2. Also, thank God you fixed that left/right bug! Incredibly inconvenient.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks! All clear now, hopefully shouldn't be too much trouble to reproduce and fix that bug. But one more question just in case: where is OHRRPGCE-Custom located?

I'd like to release Alectormancy+3 with some actual testing on Macs (we have very few Mac users) ... unlike Alectormancy, Alectormancy+1 and Alectormancy+2. So would you have any other problems to report? Do 'Test Game' and the 'Distribute Game' options work reliably? I would appreciate it.
Django

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both OHRRPGCE-Custom and OHRRPGCE-Game located in my Applications.

As far as 'Test Game' and 'Distribute Game', I haven't actually gotten around to testing the latter, but I'll certainly let you know if I have difficulties with it. 'Test Game,' however, doesn't seem to work for me. It's a minor annoyance, thankfully, since I can just manually open OHRRPGCE-Game and test it that way (although it does take a wee bit longer). Here's what happens when I try to use 'Test Game':

1. Custom --> Test Game.

2. Error message: "Couldn't find ohrrpgce-game" and then "You're running your game in live preview mode. Please press F1 now to read the help file for this if you haven't already. Press any key."

Reading the F1 help file doesn't give me any information about running in live preview mode.

Also, if you need a Mac tester for Alectormancy+3, I'd be certainly happy to help. There isn't much in the way of Mac-supported RPG makers, so OHRRPGCE is a godsend. Granted, I'm not exactly a super big expert on how everything works and is supposed to work, but I'd certainly give feedback as I can.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, yikes. Thanks for testing! Clearly I need to get in front of a physical machine (or at least get VNC working -- the OSX builtin VNC server is incompatible with nearly all VNC clients since OS 10.7 IIRC) rather than testing the commandline version.

Last edited by TMC on Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe. Maybe we should do a kickstarter to buy TMC a Mac :)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I'm no longer a student, I should be able to find a one or two on my university's campus which I have access to. Unfortunately recent OSX versions don't allow you to use a debugger without admin rights, which is a sad thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum