Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

General Inquiry About Engine

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welsh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: General Inquiry About Engine Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm considering this engine for a fairly ambitious port. I have two questions.

1) Is it currently possible to have a character join the party and select an option to leave him/her at various points on the map? For example, PLAYER 2 joins. Then select an option from the menu - PLAYER 2 leaves. Sort of like a vehicle script, but with players or NPCs.

2) Is it possible to substitute items you find on a map? For example, if you're limited to a certain number of items, can you exchange those items with other items and return to that area to collect them later? I guess it would be a item drop/pickup option.

Thanks.
Nepenthe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both of those are possible with plotscripting. Should be pretty straightforward too. We can help you out if you run into any specific problems.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid not on both counts. Someone might have a workaround, but basically you'd have to know that you want to do this from the start and go through a lot of work scripting it to do what you want. Personally, I'm still hoping we eventually get the ability to choose an item to discard when the player has a full inventory and picks up a new item.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Nepenthe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that "and return to that area to collect them later" bit before. Still possible, just trickier. I'm pretty sure I saw an item bank script floating around that could be adapted though.
mswguest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If items are only ever found (and thus swapped) in specific places, this is not too hard. If there is the chance that items can be found in random places (like after a battle) and thus could need swapping ANYWHERE, I'd say this is much more difficult and you're best off having some kind of clear limit as to how many items can be left lying around.
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

both of those are extremely possible, but that second one would be a pretty advanced script. though that is an interesting idea. if i get a scripting itch sometime i might try and figure it out.

(my implementation would use slices to store information, and therefor would not continue to work when loading a save file, but otherwise would be limitless unless you had soooooo many items the engine crapped out, which i don't see happening without a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amount of items in it)

is there a maximum length for strings? are the contents of strings saved?
Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Is anyone interested in helping out with such scripts for a horror adventure game? There's an obscure Famicom title I want to update. I've been collecting artwork and finally obtained a sample rom with significant differences. Also, a few hackers have been able to piece together a lot of unused graphics and I have a translator working on the project. You could say it's a complete version since unlike most Famicom titles, bits seem to have been removed due to ROM size and the scenario is extremely detailed. Please let me know. I'm assembling a team.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you say port?

Ronin Catholic wrote:
Personally, I'm still hoping we eventually get the ability to choose an item to discard when the player has a full inventory and picks up a new item.

The lack of that ability is practically a bug, and would be added, time permitting. However placing discarded items on the ground is certainly not part of the plan. (However I would add a hook to which you could attach a script to do it yourself)

ShakeyAir wrote:
(my implementation would use slices to store information, and therefor would not continue to work when loading a save file, but otherwise would be limitless unless you had soooooo many items the engine crapped out, which i don't see happening without a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE amount of items in it)

is there a maximum length for strings? are the contents of strings saved?

There's no limit on number of slices, (aside from available memory). And the fact that slices are not stored in saved games is why you should use global variables, not slices, for this.

There's no limit on string length, but they aren't saved in save games either. About time we started making use of the new save format.

I would supply some script snippets, but it's nearly noon: I badly need sleep.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum