Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Doom RPG in Development

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheSpazztikOne
Arcturan Xenogon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:35 am    Post subject: Doom RPG in Development Reply with quote

Hey. Teh name's Sid Spazztik Tyler. Me and a friend of mine from DoomWorld.com have been workin on somethin kewl for both the Doom community, and probably the OHRRPGCE community as well. It's called Doom RPG, and we're releasing the demo on this site soon. It's not very much far right now, but so far it's lookin good! Try it out when we post it!

AAAACEEEESS HIIIIIIIGH!!!!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Considering DoomRL turned out to be an amazingly good adaptation of Doom, there's got to be promise in this too... whatever it is you're working on.

Actually, didn't id Software release an actual Doom RPG for (smart?) phones years ago?
TheSpazztikOne
Arcturan Xenogon!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They Did, but it was horrible. I'm trying to make a better one. Where
A: You get a team
B: You actually get to buy stuff
C: There's a more in-depth story
D: Something that doesn't suck

And so far, me and DoomHero85 from doomworld are delivering. Do you want the link to the game?

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the game from Slime Salad. According to the comment on the download on that page, there's a larger version with more music? SS and CP both sometimes have trouble uploading files; you can complain on SS.

Wow, FF6 battle music, I wasn't expecting that. Mixing in some tracks other than justDoom music is a good decision, but it's better not to rip such instantly recognisable music. :P

Now obviously this game is very rough and new, so I'm not sure what problems I should bother pointing out. So I'll limit myself to a few things.

Firstly, the introduction dialogue textboxes go past way too quickly. I think it's better to use regular textboxes rather than scripted ones when they contain a lot of text (so splitting the larger boxes into several ones is also an option).

My biggest complaint is with the tiles. While individually they're mostly well drawn, the maps look like messes. I honestly at first could not figure out what were the walls and what was floor, and had to bump into everything to find out. You need to texture floors differently: they should not jump out as foreground objects. One particular floor tile looks like a large impassable pipe. This means using low contrast; darkening or dulling helps a lot. It doesn't matter just for the first 2 minutes of play: fixing this will make the maps look much better. But I'm no expert; if you ask on Slime Salad for art criticism you should get plenty of advice.

Set those corpse NPCs not to turn and face the player.

After talking to the Sarge and rescuing Crash I walked into the EXIT and went outside and immediately got slaughtered. Opps, hadn't saved. Maybe I wasn't meant to do this? It looks like there are several other maps, but how much longer is this demo actually?

Anyway, so far, I did enjoy the demo: the battles are short and actually work better than I expected, though the hero speed is really low. I think a speed closer to 20 is more reasonable. Normally I'm annoyed every time I see over-use of multiple hits, but in this case it makes sense. Still, personally I would not use the hero Hits stat, as it adds a random number of hits to the number set in the attack definition, and affects all actions including item use, which is usually a bad thing. At first I was annoyed that the shotgun seemed worse than the pistol, but I guess it's more of a trade off. So you don't want to track ammo at all? I was surprised you don't have ammo, but I guess it may be better not to have any in an RPG.

Still, this game seems like it has plenty of promise, provided you go back and fix everything up. Don't just power ahead adding length to the game!

Oh, and you don't need to include relump.exe, plotscr.hsd, or the .hs, .hss, .hsi files with the game.
TheSpazztikOne
Arcturan Xenogon!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry about the floor part. That's one of the things i was told about the game by others as well. I'll see if i can try to fix it. So, instead of putting a colored tile, i guess since it's a ceiling area, i'll just black it out then.

About the FF6 music, It was partly DoomHero's idea. i thought it would be good to add music from other RPGs, so we're both at fault for that one.

I was planning on lengthening the time for the textbox appearances. that was another concern from some other players.

As for the floors, i will see if i can darken them.

The corpse part was just an honest mistake. I'll correct that.

Also, i plan to decrease the attack of the Dune Warriors outside the hangar. Sorry about you getting shot in the face by one.

And lastly, i'll count down the hits and counter stats. Since they seem to be conflicting in all the battles.

And i'll make sure not to include the plotscripting stuff with the next issue.

Thanks for the help!

TheSpazztikOne
Arcturan Xenogon!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and about the maps:

In data, there are 17 in total so far.
In the game, which are the finished ones, there are around 12-13.

Unfinished maps:
Ventilation Shafts, Storage Facility, Barracks Entrance, Mess Hall, Marine's Quarters.

Junk maps:
Game Intro (Possible)- This was cut out because i couldn't find a decent spot to put it in. The screen used in this part becomes one of the larger fighting scenes.

---------------------------------------------------
The Phobos Surface is technically unfinished, but usable, due to the fact that we still have more locations to put on the map.

FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Still, personally I would not use the hero Hits stat, as it adds a random number of hits to the number set in the attack definition, and affects all actions including item use, which is usually a bad thing.

Yeah, this is generally true--having extra hits apply to things like items just makes no sense at all, and letting them get too high for any attack gets a bit ridiculous.

But remember that there's an attack bitset now that lets a certain attack ignore extra hits. It's a pretty easy way to get around that problem--if you want extra hits to apply to regular attacks, go through and turn the bitset "Ignores attacker's extra hits" (or something like that) on for the items and special attacks that shouldn't randomly repeat over and over, and leave it off for regular attacks.
TheSpazztikOne
Arcturan Xenogon!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. i was trying to figure out how exactly to do that!
Thanks for the info!

BTW, For some strange reason, I keep trying to upload the newer update of the game here on CP, but i get an error each time.

I'm using .zip files to store the game data in, if that says anything... :S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: