Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

My Ohrrpgce Suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the option for maptiles smaller than 20x20. 10x10.

But that's unlikely to happen, I think.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
I'm interested in expanding the font to more than 256 characters, and using the extra space for a default set of accented latin characters which can be typed normally (that idea could be extended user-specified ranges of unicode).

I'm also secretly hoping that this text rewrite comes with the ability to boldface, italicize, and underline words for additional grammatical correctness and word emphasis in dialogue.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had my way, all work would be directed to the battle system until battle scripting was live. The workarounds for walkabout size etc are not unreasonably difficult. But... say you want Status Icons in battle which show everyones buffs and debuffs. The only workaround is to write a new battle engine from the ground up! This is hard! Haha.

Or even if they just put status icons in somehow. That would be enough. Without them, I just can't keep track of whats going on in OHRRPGCE battles. Well, not battles in games which buffs and de-buffs are a huge part of gameplay.

It is the one thing that's not just frustrating to me when I'm making a game, but when I'm playing one as well. And I know I'm not the only one, I've seen things about it in OHR game reviews before, not that I could link to one offhand.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:

I made a game with 5x5 tiles! The power to do this is in your hands.

Shoot me an email if you want some crazy details.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean making a roguelike with slices, I mean literally 10x10 tiles in tilesets for more precision in construction for standard RPG construction.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:

I'd like to see support for tile sizes other than 20x20 someday, but that's probably a long way away. Of course there would be support for tiles smaller than 20x20 too.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
I'm also secretly hoping that this text rewrite comes with the ability to boldface, italicize, and underline words for additional grammatical correctness and word emphasis in dialogue.

It does, via separate fonts. On top of the text box rewrite, the font file format needs to replaced and the font editor rewritten, but hopefully that will happen within a reasonable time.

ShakeyAir wrote:
The only workaround is to write a new battle engine from the ground up! This is hard! Haha.

OK, so you want us to work on scripting and slices until it is easy to write a battle system from scratch, got it ;)

Quote:
Or even if they just put status icons in somehow. That would be enough. Without them, I just can't keep track of whats going on in OHRRPGCE battles. Well, not battles in games which buffs and de-buffs are a huge part of gameplay.

So you're asking for something other than the current status icons? Icons which appear beside/below/above (configurably) each in-battle sprite (while they are standing still, I assume). Sounds specifying icons (graphics) to be displayed when a stat is above or below its maximum (stating) value would be a good addition to the 'Plan for more flexible stats'. Maybe also "Add icon", "Remove icon" attack options.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
I don't mean making a roguelike with slices, I mean literally 10x10 tiles in tilesets for more precision in construction for standard RPG construction.

Yes, that is also what I meant as well. If you still want the walkabouts to be 20x20, then this is even easier.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Newbie_Power wrote:

Yes, that is also what I meant as well. If you still want the walkabouts to be 20x20, then this is even easier.
I'm sorry but if I were to have this feature at all it would be a no-plotscript solution as it would suit my needs the best.

Ideally the tilesizes would be on a per-layer basis, too.

EDIT: For the record, I don't have any pressing need for this feature, just that I'd rather have the ability to break up into smaller tiles instead of diving into bigger tiles.

Last edited by Newbie_Power on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
ShakeyAir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
ShakeyAir wrote:
The only workaround is to write a new battle engine from the ground up! This is hard! Haha.

OK, so you want us to work on scripting and slices until it is easy to write a battle system from scratch, got it Wink

Quote:

So you're asking for something other than the current status icons? Icons which appear beside/below/above (configurably) each in-battle sprite (while they are standing still, I assume). Sounds specifying icons (graphics) to be displayed when a stat is above or below its maximum (stating) value would be a good addition to the 'Plan for more flexible stats'. Maybe also "Add icon", "Remove icon" attack options.

Both of these sound great! That implementation of status icons would be so awesome, I think!!

I just think the things 'aging' the OHR more than it needs to be are:

fixed width, one color text
no way to tell status afflictions (beyond the poison/stun/etc but thats only for your party)
small walkabout size
lack of battle animation options

As in, the OHR is capable of a LOT of stuff, but then I feel like if I was discovering it now as opposed to ten years ago, these are the obvious things that would possibly turn me off from using the engine. Then, of these, status icons are the only one with gameplay relevance as opposed to just being nicer looking. So I think that makes them more important than the rest.
msw188

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree absolutely with ShakeyAir. The lack of any possible support for status indicators within the OHR's built-in battle system are definitely a huge barrier. It's one of the very few things that nearly all regular NES RPGs have that the OHR does not.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
Moogle1 wrote:
Newbie_Power wrote:

I'm sorry but if I were to have this feature at all it would be a no-plotscript solution as it would suit my needs the best.

Ideally the tilesizes would be on a per-layer basis, too.

Here's your no-plotscripting solution: make four layers per layer, one for each tile within a tile.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh. Nevermind. If I really needed the feature that badly, I would have worked out a solution already. It's just that I think asking for smaller maptile support is arguably more important than large maptiles.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ShakeyAir wrote:
I just think the things 'aging' the OHR more than it needs to be are:

fixed width, one color text
small walkabout size
lack of battle animation options

I agree, and fixing all of these are high priorities for me (as well as many other things, such as improving textboxes). Customisable tile size would be on the list, but everything else seems more pressing. Font improvements are already nearly done.

On the other hand, I don't remember ever playing an RPG which used icons to indicate status effects. Granted, I haven't played that many non-OHR RPGs. I remember that FF6 used sunglasses, speech bubbles, etc., instead of icons. And I remember that James wrote something along those lines in the 'Plan for hero sprite overlays'. But other than that, I guess it just never occurred to me. Also, there's the fact that I usually don't touch the battle system -- that's James' domain.

Moogle1 wrote:
I made a game with 5x5 tiles! The power to do this is in your hands.

But faking 5x5 tiles in that way would require 16 layers. Which game are you talking about?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's unreleased and I didn't do it that way. My 5x5 tiles are actually walkabout sprites.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that all of the Dragon Warrior games had your hero's level up on top of the screen, but that would be replaced with a textual indicator of abnormal status. I think Final Fantasy 1 had something similar, but I must confess that I barely remember this game.

Indications of enemy status are much less common though, it's true. Which actually makes some kind of sense; how could the heroes actually know that Slime#3, not Slime#2 has its defense boosted, other than by memory? Still, the option to be able to indicate status for enemies would be grand.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: