Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Jumping? Like, onto ledges?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Jumping? Like, onto ledges? Reply with quote

Is there a script I can use to make a character not only jump (because I have the script from the wiki to do that) but jump up onto a ledge?

Like, if a player presses, say, the x key they can jump onto ledges and edges that they could not reach by just pressing forward and walking up on it.

Futher, is there a way to make it to where they can only jump with a certain item equipped (tags, most likely.)

And while I'm on the subject, what about a script to make it able to shimmy across ledges?

Thanks if you can help, I know this might be a lot.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as button commands go, you'll want to use a keypress script. TMC usually has better (and more thorough) examples, but to get you started, you're gonna want to use:

Code:
variable (loop)
set variable (loop,true)

#enter the continuous cycle

while (loop) do(
if (keyval (key:X) >=1) then(
#insert animations and whatnot here
)
if (condition to break loop) then(
set variable (loop,false)
)

#make sure the loop continues by using a wait

wait (1)
)
end

As far as you're specific actions go, you'll have to draw the graphics and script the actions yourself. I have a single use animation script in HamsterSpeak #25 that may help you if the idea of writing out lengthy scripts intimidates you. It's a single command with a bunch of variables, so it's a bit complicated to use. But it works great if you understand that it only animates one character at a time.

http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue25/as/as.htm

You'll want to read the article on how to use it, and then you'll want to include "animation scripts.txt" to your plotscript file.

You'll also need to include scancode.hsi for your keyval to work.

You can also check out Tightfloss Maiden, which uses extensive animation and accessory equipment slots (last slot on the equipment menu) to move the character from map to map, for reference. Several of the things you described wanting to do are staples of this game. There's a link to it both here and on Slime Salad's game list.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
You can also check out Tightfloss Maiden, which uses extensive animation and accessory equipment slots (last slot on the equipment menu) to move the character from map to map, for reference. Several of the things you described wanting to do are staples of this game. There's a link to it both here and on Slime Salad's game list.

Yeah, I was going to download it a while ago, but I have dial up. And it's kinda big. Yeah.

Anyway, thanks for the script, I will try to get it up and running!

EDIT: Oh, and about the link: Mercy, the page be missin'!
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that big. Most dial-up services can retrieve a file of that size in under an hour.

In any case, the scripts are in HamsterSpeak #25. You can get there from www.superwalrusland.com and click on the HamsterSpeak link. The article is labeled in the features section.

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
It's not that big. Most dial-up services can retrieve a file of that size in under an hour.

In any case, the scripts are in HamsterSpeak #25. You can get there from www.superwalrusland.com and click on the HamsterSpeak link. The article is labeled in the features section.

Pepsi was just missing the l in .html when he pasted the link. The following should work: http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue25/as/as.html

Cheers,

~IM
Yep.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I got all the animation script together (no error when I try to compile it) but there is an error on:

Code:
if (condition to break loop) then(
)

and I'm not sure why. Condition to loop is an unrecognised name.

Also, is there a way to make it to where when you jump and move forward, you hop on a ledge that you couldn't move on by just walking on? Actually, I might be able to figure it out myself...
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, "condition to break loop" isn't an actual term. I just wrote that in there to let you know that you needed some kind of condition to set "loop" to false if you ever wanted to break out of the infinite loop.

For example, if the player changes maps and the keypress function is no longer needed, you might want to set the condition to run only when "current map" registers that the player is in fact on the relevant map, and then break it when the current map no longer matches the defined condition.

For example:

Player should be able to jump, climb, and pick his nose on Map 8, but not on 7 or 9.

Code:
if (current map<>8) then(
)

or, if you'll want him to perform tricks on maps 8, 10, and 12, but nowhere else, you might say

Code:
variable (m)
set variable (m,current map)
if ((m<>8),and,(m<>10),and,(m<>12)) then(
)

Note: New syntax has it written

Code:
m:=current map

I just never use new syntax, so do whichever you're more comfortable with.

Any condition can break a loop: random numbers that are drawn in a lottery, hero stands in the forbidden direction, etc. You just have to be clear on what breaks it.

If you haven't checked it out already, you'll probably want to look up some of these terms on the plotscript dictionary to see how they're intended for use: http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/docs/plotdict.xml. You'll find that plotscripting has commands for many of the things you want to do.

Tightfloss Maiden

Voltire
Yep.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Also, I checked out the plotdictionary that came when I downloaded the game creator. I read though most of it, but it is a lot to take in without practicing it and attempting to write complex code. But it did teach me many things. I'll probably go look over it again right now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum