Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New savegame format in nightly builds

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: New savegame format in nightly builds Reply with quote

If any of you are feeling adventurous, I would appreciate testers for the current nightly builds. I just enabled the new savegame format.

Your old saves are converted automatically, so you will not lose any progress in anygames you are playing.

It also still saves the old SAV format too, so if you want to test playing your game with a nightly build and then go back to ypsiliform later, your saves will still be okay (although this will not be true in a future version where I remove support for the ols SAV format entirely)

As you probably know, the old SAV format stores your savegames in a file called gamename.sav which can be pretty gigantic if you use the F2/F3 debugging keys for quicksave/quickload.

The new RSAV format is a bunch of files inside a gamename.saves folder. You will notice they take up a lot less space (although that doesn't mean much right now because the nightly build is still saving BOTH the old and new formats)

This format is also vastly easier to extend and update than the old format was, so expect cool things in the future.

Right now, if it works exactly the same as it worked before, then it is working correctly :)
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh noes, I won't be able to hack passwords from the .sav files anymore D:
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rimudora wrote:

Oops! Wow! I hadn't even noticed that data was in the old save format. Yet another reason why the old format sucked so hard :)

Well, if it is any consolation, you can always still hack passwords from the .rpg file itself just as easily :)

Also, by the way, if anybody wants to hack the .rsav files, we have utilities that can convert them to and from editable xml. I'll get some pre-built exe's for those uploaded somewhere.
Ysoft_Entertainment
VB Programmer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Rimudora wrote:

Oops! Wow! I hadn't even noticed that data was in the old save format. Yet another reason why the old format sucked so hard Happy

Well, if it is any consolation, you can always still hack passwords from the .rpg file itself just as easily Happy

Also, by the way, if anybody wants to hack the .rsav files, we have utilities that can convert them to and from editable xml. I'll get some pre-built exe's for those uploaded somewhere.

Oh come on James, giving out toys isn't as fun as finding them yourself. Half the fun of hacking is finding the hack yourself in my opinion.

sorry for a totally off topic post. But yeah easily managed data is way more useful then cluttered data, so it was about time for this conversion.
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there plans for lumping and unlumping the gamename.saves directory on game load and exit, or perhaps reading directly from a lumped file to load games like GAME currently does for RPG lump files?

As a debugging tool, could you add this RSAV export/import tool directly into custom? It would be mighty spiffy of you to do that. Or perhaps a RSAV viewer/editor embedded into CUSTOM, it will only allow editing of saves for the currently opened game in CUSTOM. This way, during debugging, we can find out what is being saved, and what data is being set. A global variable search tool in there would be just awesome!

And off-topic, since now the new save format appears to be working fine, are we going to go through with the 'Plan for improved items'?

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lumped .saves folders might be a possibility, but I don't see much advantage to it, especially because it would slow things down.

Actually, the nightly builds have a hidden editor for RELOAD files (RSAV is a type of RELOAD) that you can get to by pressing CTRL+R on the main screen.

I will be working on item improvements, but not until I finish the Editor Editor, and convert the ITM data lump to a RELOAD format.
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Actually, the nightly builds have a hidden editor for RELOAD files (RSAV is a type of RELOAD) that you can get to by pressing CTRL+R on the main screen.

Definitely going to try out this feature now.

James Paige wrote:
I will be working on item improvements, but not until I finish the Editor Editor, and convert the ITM data lump to a RELOAD format.

Have any future plans for an Editor Editor Editor? Raspberry!

I am guessing that the main plan is to have every lump changed over into RELOAD format, right? Then all we would technically need a nice spiffy RELOAD editor.

Can these RELOAD files be easily manipulated in other programming languages? This may open more doors for OHR to be ported to other languages if it's internal format was easier to understand. It would be nice of you to work on Python bindings alongside the FreeBASIC API and keeping them current. So when the time does come, and someone wants to pursue the conversion of OHR to another language there is at least some sort of starting point not directly tied in with the engine. I am sure a new editor will be released much before any new engine will be. A Python based RELOAD editor would be very cool indeed.

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronoboy wrote:

Have any future plans for an Editor Editor Editor? :P

We joke about this on the dev mailing list :)

chronoboy wrote:

I am guessing that the main plan is to have every lump changed over into RELOAD format, right? Then all we would technically need a nice spiffy RELOAD editor.

Almost everything. Some things like maps and graphics make no sense to convert to reload. Also, the editor-editor will be a tool for making editors that are tailored to specific reload formats.

chronoboy wrote:

Can these RELOAD files be easily manipulated in other programming languages? This may open more doors for OHR to be ported to other languages if it's internal format was easier to understand. It would be nice of you to work on Python bindings alongside the FreeBASIC API and keeping them current. So when the time does come, and someone wants to pursue the conversion of OHR to another language there is at least some sort of starting point not directly tied in with the engine. I am sure a new editor will be released much before any new engine will be. A Python based RELOAD editor would be very cool indeed.

Actually, check out the nohrio project. It is a python library for reading and writing the various lump formats. It has reload support too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: