Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Finally! Chronoboy Adventures Demo is now out!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Finally! Chronoboy Adventures Demo is now out! Reply with quote

After much hard work during the past while to kick out all the bugs, the game appears to be ready for a demo stage. This allows everyone to help me find those darn bugs for I can squish them. There are a few bugs in the demo game, which will be dealt with for the final version ready for the Heart of OHR contest.

The game was uploaded to Castle Paradox for reviews and rating can be made there. Any input is great, as I'll fix any of the issues the critics have.
http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=1023

Be sure to read the game description, as it does have a lot of useful information, and also make sure you read the in-game Guide item and not just shove it in the trash. I would however, recommend putting it in the trash afterwards, as your inventory is not very large. However, in the game you can purchase bags and backpacks to increase your carrying capacity. Bags and backpacks are stackable items, so go at it. When you receive a major item in the game, the character will also give you a bag to carry it in. I added this, just in-case your inventory was full when a game crucial item was given.

The demo version has a fair amount to explore and do, the only areas your limited from really at the moment are unfinished ones, or story related ones that can be accessed in the demo. I would highly recommend exploring the lands, as I left a few secrets in there to find, which help you in one of the story elements in the demo.

The game does feature Spells, but you will need to purchase a Spellbook and spells for it, some are included in the demo to try out. Although, the spells are a little pricey.

For the most part, the story will stay the same for the final version. I do plan on touching up the intro sequence which I am not completely satisfied with. You'll see what I mean when you watch the intro segment.

The game makes heavy usage of your computer clock, please read this post on my website for information on how it uses it:
http://www.chronoboy.com/projects/rpg-development/chronoboy-adventures/hopetohaveademoouttonight

I would recommend reading it before playing the final game, as it can make the game difficult at times, however it forces a strategy based on time.

Also, don't worry about dying in the game. Why? I encourage trying to die at least once per story segment. In this game, instead of dying, an event occurs depending on your situation. If a hoard of monsters kills you near their lair for example, they'll shove into their holding cell until they can decide what to do with you. This can also cause a story branch to occur. Meaning the game can and will change the storyline depending on where you end up dying, or rather getting KO'd.

As you can see by reading this so far, the game has some very odd elements built-in. These elements add strategy and a replay value to the game. I would recommend playing the demo at least 3 times and try different things to sway the story. I forgot how many times the demo can branch out to different situations.

Although, as the game concludes, all story branches will eventually collide into at least 2 different endings, which are in fact very similar, but at the same time are very different. When the final game is done, full with the entire story, you'll see what I mean by this. I just don't want to spoil too much.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: I am building a list of bugs that I am currently aware of.
http://www.chronoboy.com/projects/rpg-development/chronoboy-adventures/bug-list

If you notice any new bugs, please post it on the forum so that I can have it added to the list then resolved.

Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some excellent ideas at work here. Definitely my type of game. I like that you make money doing actual work instead of merely hacking monsters to bits. Adds that element of realism (which will come in handy when the fantasy of adventuring takes over). I also like the sudden transitions from exteriors to interiors. There are a few OHR games that do this (Cube's Relics of Ladon comes to mind), but very few. I must admit that the graphical perspective will take getting used to, but that shouldn't be a problem.

My main concerns are:

Dialogue has the potential to get a little hokey. Specifically, the question that one of the intro characters asked, about whether the police were "doing anything fun," seemed odd to me. If you really want to immerse the player, avoid cheesy things. Unique characters work, but they need consistency, and I don't get that sense from the guy who said that. The farm girl who didn't get sarcasm was more consistent, and thus (as stereotypical as princesses may be) seemed a bit more believable.

Dialogue formatting is also off. Generally, it's bad practice to feature two characters in the same box (although I still do it all the time, so score one for hypocracy), but it's abysmal practice to smash the two sections of dialogue directly on top of each other. Leave at least one space between lines if you're gonna do this.

Also, as much as I love your use of strings at the bottom of the screen, it can be distracting to post them constantly, especially when all they give me is creator information. I appreciate the aesthetic of using them for opening credits (I'm a sucker for movie-like presentations, which my games can testify to), but I think there are less distracting ways of doing it.

For specific actions (like milking cows), more exclusive animation would be nice. I have an animation script listed in an earlier Hamsterspeak issue that makes this easy on you if you don't mind drawing some extra walkabout frames. This would make the presentation even better. http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue25/as/as.html

The one thing you should know: I somehow found myself walking on water when I walked north of the ranch and tried to step on a snake in the lower-left corner of the screen. I wasn't able to get back, so I quit there.

But I like the premise behind this game, and I like the similarities it has to games like Dink Smallwood. I can tell you put a lot of care in the presentation; it definitely shows. I'd advise you tone down some of the "most unique RPG you'll play on the OHR" stuff, though, because bragging doesn't really work in this community. The truth is, if it can be done, it probably already has (or was on somebody's to-do list), so it's probably unique in that it's uncommon. Instead, focus on the quality on the game (which you have plenty of, so kudos there), and continue to improve upon it, even in those places that may already be good, but not perfect.

This is a game I'll play again. Good job. Just fix that weird transport-me-to-water bug.

Thanks for making this a Heart of the OHR entry. This is the kind of thing I wanted to see made for it. Just remember to post the official link in the contest thread sometime before Tuesday so that I remember to count it.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chronoboy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you enjoyed it, I did put a lot of my heart and soul into making it. Just a little disappointed that you encountered that bug and couldn't play further and watch the first part of the story develop. You'll be very pleased to know, if you start a new game again, it will offer you to Skip the intro, that's another feature I put in there, as I myself, really hate watching the same intro over and over and over... Since my intro is fairly long, it would only make sense to add this option, and since the game has a replay value to it, on your second play-through, the intro doesn't really matter as much.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
You have some excellent ideas at work here. Definitely my type of game. I like that you make money doing actual work instead of merely hacking monsters to bits. Adds that element of realism (which will come in handy when the fantasy of adventuring takes over). I also like the sudden transitions from exteriors to interiors. There are a few OHR games that do this (Cube's Relics of Ladon comes to mind), but very few. I must admit that the graphical perspective will take getting used to, but that shouldn't be a problem.

The game will feature a lot of realism and flexibility, this elements will work with the karma system. In the demo, instead of putting the milk and wool in the shed, try and sell it at the market for money, and see what happens. Razz

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Dialogue has the potential to get a little hokey. Specifically, the question that one of the intro characters asked, about whether the police were "doing anything fun," seemed odd to me. If you really want to immerse the player, avoid cheesy things. Unique characters work, but they need consistency, and I don't get that sense from the guy who said that. The farm girl who didn't get sarcasm was more consistent, and thus (as stereotypical as princesses may be) seemed a bit more believable.

That intro character, believe it or not, is based on my real friend with the same name. It is exactly what he would say in that situation, I do agree it is a little hokey, but that's him.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Dialogue formatting is also off. Generally, it's bad practice to feature two characters in the same box (although I still do it all the time, so score one for hypocracy), but it's abysmal practice to smash the two sections of dialogue directly on top of each other. Leave at least one space between lines if you're gonna do this.

I only feature two in the same box if they are related, I am considering on moving the to their own box.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Also, as much as I love your use of strings at the bottom of the screen, it can be distracting to post them constantly, especially when all they give me is creator information. I appreciate the aesthetic of using them for opening credits (I'm a sucker for movie-like presentations, which my games can testify to), but I think there are less distracting ways of doing it.

This string is only in the demo version, it will be removed when I release the final version later on.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
For specific actions (like milking cows), more exclusive animation would be nice. I have an animation script listed in an earlier Hamsterspeak issue that makes this easy on you if you don't mind drawing some extra walkabout frames. This would make the presentation even better. http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue25/as/as.html

I was originally going to swap the NPC picture for this animation and others, but I'm not the greatest at drawing these type of animations. I may make the cows head move during the interaction.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
The one thing you should know: I somehow found myself walking on water when I walked north of the ranch and tried to step on a snake in the lower-left corner of the screen. I wasn't able to get back, so I quit there.

I'll have to look into this, I know there is a missing wallmap passibility tile in the area, I believe this was the cause of the issue. You should be-able to go back down at the same place you came up to get back on land. I would recommend saving often in the demo, as it can get buggy.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
But I like the premise behind this game, and I like the similarities it has to games like Dink Smallwood. I can tell you put a lot of care in the presentation; it definitely shows. I'd advise you tone down some of the "most unique RPG you'll play on the OHR" stuff, though, because bragging doesn't really work in this community. The truth is, if it can be done, it probably already has (or was on somebody's to-do list), so it's probably unique in that it's uncommon. Instead, focus on the quality on the game (which you have plenty of, so kudos there), and continue to improve upon it, even in those places that may already be good, but not perfect.

Will do.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
This is a game I'll play again. Good job. Just fix that weird transport-me-to-water bug.

Glad to hear that.

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Thanks for making this a Heart of the OHR entry. This is the kind of thing I wanted to see made for it. Just remember to post the official link in the contest thread sometime before Tuesday so that I remember to count it.

I'll be sure to have a more complete version by then. I just finished the intro, as you may have noticed it was a little off and less great nearing the end. For example, you fall into the pit, but nobody cares, not even the police -- This has been all revised to be more like the first part of the intro, and Marnie actually causes a distraction now and Chad follows you to find a way through the blockade. After you fall into the pit, the story continues as I originally planned it, but didn't implement it until just now. For example, it didn't explain in the intro what triggered the gate. The revises intro explains this. This will be in the final version for review and voting for the contest. Please disregard this demo for the contest, as it is quite incomplete and has some bugs(as you noticed).

If you get a chance to play the demo again, save as soon as you can. You need to be outside of a building to save. Try what I mentioned above when preforming the farming deed(if you lose karma during this event, you will gain access to the evil story branch). Also play the game at different hours of the day and notice the change in scene in the various towns. I'm sure you'll be most pleased with all the realism for this. To start the main storyline, from the village, explore towards to the west, that's all I'll say. Depending on your karma, it will either trigger the good line of events or evil line of events.

I do hope more people download it and give it a try. I would like as much feedback as possible before Monday. Both negative and positive feedback are welcomed. I cannot correct any issues with just positive feedback.

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is actually a very technically impressive game.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
chronoboy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody been able to find all the secrets I put in the demo yet? Some of these secrets will be in the full release, but some are just in the demo.

An update on development, I finished the first full Good/Evil storyline quests, and the entire Labina state in the game is now complete, a total of 25 map pieces(26 if you consider the capital city 2 pieces). The game also features more cutscenes, an improved intro cutscene, and hopefully the horrible bug in th death script has been all cleaned up. I will be doing my final tests tonight and tomorrow morning for these new updates. So far, the intro and a few of the additional cutscenes have been tested. The death script appears to be working more healthier now as well.

Considering how quickly I fixed up these bugs and finished the first state, I might be-able to release an entire two full states in time for the Heart of OHR contest deadline. This will definitely mean that there will be access beyond the Pyrota borders in that release, and many more quests and secrets to discover in the new areas. Since now I got all the main game scripting done, adding areas is incredible easy now, and can create many very quickly.

I hope to have a guide out by the time of the Contest due date which will have tons of useful information on the Labina state, and perhaps a full map of the state as well. The guide will pinpoint locations of quests and guide you through the very first part of the story sequence.

The demo download has not been updated and is still the same. I hope to upload this new version by Sunday/Monday for the contest.

chronoboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those following this games development, I just wrote up a Wiki page for the game which contains an assortment of information. This includes, character Bios, World Lore, Secrets, and development information. If you still haven't found all the secrets in the Labina state, check out the Secrets page, everything is there. This page will not have secrets for the other states in the game. I have these listed here to help you get started on how I make secrets appear in my RPG games. Enjoy!

'Game:Chronoboy_Adventures'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: