Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What is a -Zelda game-?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: What is a -Zelda game-? Reply with quote

Most of you know that Zelda is a video game franchise created by Nintendo which is very much successful. Although many companies have attempted to re-create much of it's success to attract fans of the series to their own series, most of them have failed to get the attention of these hardcore Zelda fans.

Which bring me on to fan made Zelda games made in non-Zelda engines such as OHR.R.P.G.CE. Every Zelda like game for OHR does not re-create the Zelda experience as one would like. Some developers choose to create a game of just puzzles and not so good battle system. Others choose to be more unique and steer further from the Zelda roots but keep the story intact.

I have created something of a tech demo, but also a full game which has an ending. Basically, I created a Zelda game in OHR with a turn based battle system, BUT the rest of the game is heavily similar to a traditional Zelda game. However, even the battles are quite similar to Zelda anyways in regards to monster strengths and weaknesses. A monster in a real-time battle Zelda game has the exact same hit points as one in this turn based battle system. Example, an Octorok takes one hit to kill, in both type of Zelda games.

Other interesting features to note which stick loyal to Zelda, is that monsters leave the same amount of rupees and no experience points for the player. Rupees in this demo are in increments of 1 and 5 for which monsters drop. Moblins also drop the occasional Bomb, as in other Zelda games they would.

Since the player does not receive "Experience points", I added "Heart Containers" just as a normal Zelda game would have. When you beat a boss at the end of the dungeon, his 100% drop is a heart container, which the player can then eat and gain additional hit points. I made one heart equal to 16 hit points, not sure why though. In effect the player then starts with 48 hitpoints, as this would be equal to 3 hearts. Another popular drop that monsters can leave are normal hearts which the player can use when he/she chooses.

Please check out this games homepage located here:
http://www.chronoboy.com/projects/rpg-development/what-is-a-zelda-game

There is a download link there for the RPG file, which is unpassworded and debug keys are still enabled for you can test this.

Which bring me to my point of posting this, can someone please download it and play through it(it's only about 30 mins long) and tell me what they think. I would like perhaps a Zelda fan and a non-Zelda fan to try out for the best results. Personally as a Zelda fan, I quite enjoy the mechanics, but the levels are short.

As it is unpassworded, feel free to alter the levels and play around a bit, if you would like my HSS source code, please ask and I would be happy to provide it.

-- Chronoboy.

ajguy93

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: I will. Reply with quote

I will. By the way, nice chrono trigger picture, I love the game.
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Review now exists on HamsterSpeak Volume 41, thanks to SD Hawk.

Read it here: http://superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue41/index.html

I also replied to the Volume 41 thread as well with feedback on the review.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: