Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

New python-based Game list in beta
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronoboy
Into the past with a splash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: New python-based Game list in beta Reply with quote

I am currently working on a next-generation game list which will sport many new exciting features. Such features include: tags, and new sorting methods.

Tags will work very similar to photo website tags system, whereas it will be-able to sort similar games together, and make browsing by tags possible. This would make it much easier to people to find a game they would like and make it easier to recommend similar games to people who may like one game.

Other sorting will include recommendations by liking a game or disliking a game. For example, if you reviewed the game and game it a low rating, it will check what kinds of games other players who also gave it low scores like. And if you gave it a high score, it will display games that people who also enjoyed this game also liked.

In the game view screen, it will also display the version of OHR which the game was developed in.

Once there are enough games in the database, I will add a feature for browsing by Screenshot. Basically, it will display a huge page full of images of the games. Putting your mouse cursor over the picture will display a tooltip displaying the game name. This will make it really fun and enjoyable to find a new and exciting game to play. There will also be a top downloaded game on the main page, as well as displaying the latest games uploaded.

Please play around with what is there, and if anybody has any Python experience and wishes to help out on building the database, please tell me if you would like to contribute.

Any feature requests for this are fine as well. Better to get them put in while I am developing it, right?

http://apps.chronoboy.com/gamedb

My Zelda game is on there as an example of how it looks with an uploaded game: http://apps.chronoboy.com/gamedb/view.game?id=1

If anybody is curious, the server is on Rackspace, and the RPGs and screenshots are located on Rackspace cloud files.

chronoboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the moment Game uploads work without needing to register, as the registration/login part is currently broken, but will be up shortly. The only features which is currently work are uploading, viewing the list, viewing a game, and downloading. All fields entered in the upload form are used to display the game information to the world, so that works now too. Searching will be added shortly, as well as tags will be operational soon too.

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
chronoboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree on the color scheme change, I'm not that good with CSS, I specialize with the backend stuff of websites, rather than the frontend stuff.

I will update the CSS palette soon, and if anyone is good with CSS and HTML and can make a great template for this, send it my way and I'll apply to the site and credit you for the template.

Besides the colors, does everyone like it?

chronoboy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CSS has been updated to be more eye pleasing, but if anybody is great with HTML and CSS Templates, and are willing to provide your skills. I will credit you.

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chronoboy wrote:
The CSS has been updated to be more eye pleasing, but if anybody is great with HTML and CSS Templates, and are willing to provide your skills. I will credit you.

A little tactically-applied padding would go a very long way.

This new color scheme is a huge improvement, though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not see the old color scheme, but this current one is not bad at all.

I've never used a "photo website tags system", but these various sorting options sound great!

Will there be pre-defined tags that are included on the site to choose from, or will users make their own? I think it could be very helpful to have tags for things like "complete", "OHR movie", "non-RPG", and maybe some others. It would stop people from making their own and having a bunch of differently named tags for the same kind of thing.

What kind of data will the OHR version be able to display? If it is a stable, the 'codename' will be enough, but if it is a nightly then it ought to be able to display the number and the backends.

Sadly, the like/dislike sorting part of this may take quite a long time to build into something useful.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
chronoboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picasa and Flickr are great examples of web photo albums with tagging support.

I was thinking of allowing the uploader to create their own tags, to avoid such issues like one tag "rpg" and "RPG", all tags will automatically be converted to lowercase. If you look at the current upload form, there is a field for tags. Each tag will be separated by a single space.

I will continue work on it very soon, as I am juggling this and my game for the most recent contest, which I might add is coming along rather well. I will be posting more about this game in the coming days.

chronoboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the long delay for an update, but alas, it has been updated.

New features working:

You can now register with the website and when adding a game, it will set you as the author. You will receive a confirmation Email in your Inbox upon registration. It will come from my Gmail address.

You can upload games without registering, however it will set the author as "Guest".

Under game list, listing by game title and author now works!

Clicking on an author in the game list will show all games by that author, this can also be used to provide a link to people so that they can directly jump to all the games you made. eg: http://apps.chronoboy.com/gamedb/tables.gameList?author=chronoboy

Added new menu item to display all games uploaded by the currently logged in user.

Next update will include:

Selecting the OHR version when adding a game, uploading additional screenshots, and editing your game listing.

For those that registered before this update, please register again as the registration system now works.

Enjoy!

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this error when I tried to add Wandering Hamster to the list:

Code:

MOD_PYTHON ERROR

ProcessId:      22211
Interpreter:    'apps.chronoboy.com'

ServerName:     'apps.chronoboy.com'
DocumentRoot:   '/home/kveroneau/chronoboy/apps'

URI:            '/gamedb/post.addGame'
Directory:      '/home/kveroneau/chronoboy/apps/gamedb/'
Filename:       '/home/kveroneau/chronoboy/apps/gamedb/post.addGame'
PathInfo:       ''

Phase:          'PythonHandler'
Handler:        'gamedb'

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line 1537, in HandlerDispatch
    default=default_handler, arg=req, silent=hlist.silent)

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line 1229, in _process_target
    result = _execute_target(config, req, object, arg)

File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mod_python/importer.py", line 1128, in _execute_target
    result = object(arg)

File "/home/kveroneau/chronoboy/apps/gamedb/gamedb.py", line 154, in handler
    if s.is_new():

UnboundLocalError: local variable 's' referenced before assignment

MODULE CACHE DETAILS

Accessed:       Tue Aug 17 21:04:34 2010
Generation:     9

_mp_0c46e564555381ef8513952a974a6a79 {
  FileName:     '/home/kveroneau/chronoboy/apps/gamedb/gamedb.py'
  Instance:     9
  Generation:   9
  Modified:     Tue Aug 17 15:36:11 2010
  Imported:     Tue Aug 17 15:36:14 2010
}
chronoboy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks James, the bug has been resolved. I didn't originally notice it as I never tested adding a game after the most recent update. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

chronoboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in a failed attempted to convert my gamedb over to Django-based(actually was too busy to even try), the gamedb was down for a few months....

I finally had some time to re-change the server config and it's back up and running now...

I am either going to attempt to convert over to Django at a later date, or convert it over to Google's App Engine. However, during the process I promise I will not bring down the gamedb system again, it will remain up indefinitely until I fully re-built it in App Engine or Django.

Reason I want to convert it, is that mod_python is an outdated technology, which seems to be buggy at times(missing session cookies for no reason). If it's on Google App Engine, it would be best, as it would be there forever scaling on Google's servers.

If anybody here has any experience in Django or Google App Engine, please let me know if you would like to help out on this project.

Again, I do apologize for the downtime, and am happy to say I will be hosting my game for the heart of OHR contest there when I'm done. Happy

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used django before, but I have been wanting to learn it.

I HAVE used mod_python before I and understand why you would want to move away from it. I never did figure out how to test changes to my code without restarting the whole webserver :P
chronoboy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, if you would like a copy of the gamedb in mod_python, I'd gladly tarball it for you and send you a copy to skim over. If you like to work on the Django version together and learn as you go along that would be great. I don't know everything about Django and still classify myself in between beginner and intermediate. I could set-up an SVN on my server for the project and if anybody else in the community has coding skills in Python or is interested in learning can definitely join in. Theming is something we could use help on as well. Graphics/CSS/HTML stuff.

Oh, and the best part of Django, is that it is Google App Engine compatible. Happy

Overall, I think having a very modern gamelist database is essential for both game designers and game players.

If anybody is curious where I got the ideas and theme for my current version of gamedb, check out: http://www.zeldaclassic.com/qdb.php

You will notice the similarities of their gamelist and the one I built. :p In essence, I want to create a similar system that they have. I especially love this feature: http://www.zeldaclassic.com/thepool.php

I hope to have that feature added when I have enough games in the list, browsing by game screenshot... Imagine that!

Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think setting up some kind of repository is a great idea.

I probably wouldn't have any time to do anything with the code (whatlittle free coding time I have is already taken up with working on OHR features and bugfixes) but I would be curious to see the code, and maybe a repository would get other programmers interested in it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: