Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

And now back to our regularly scheduled program...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: And now back to our regularly scheduled program... Reply with quote

Hello All,

As it's 3:30 AM and I've hardly gotten any sleep since Friday, I'm going to keep this short. I apologize profusely for the extended and unexpected downtime these past few days. Sometime around 3PM Thursday afternoon, the Castle Paradox web server locked up for reasons unknown. Being at work at the time, I was unable to troubleshoot, diagnose, or even restart the machine.

I'm not sure if it was the cause of the freeze or the result of the freeze, but Castle Paradox's LVM metadata was somehow corrupt, leaving the drive unbootable. My initial attempt to salvage the drive was rather fruitless and while I was able to confirm all the data was present, I was unable to access it or the backup HD through the machine.

A new HD was purchased on Friday and recovery began, then screeched to a halt when the DVD-ROM drive refused to work anymore. Luckily, I had a few lying around from other machines and initiated a fresh install on the new HD.

Friday night and most of Saturday was spent reconstructing the backup HD and prepping the new installation to work with the backup schema and restore the files. Restoration took the better part of the morning and I was dealing with service setup by noon. I'd forgotten just how many services and configurations Castle Paradox has on it. Not all services previously hosted on CP are installed and configured yet, but websites appear to be fully functional. f you see anything odd, please do send me an e-mail or respond to this thread. Please do know that I may not respond immediately to e-mails, as I am having some issues with sending through the e-mail server, but receiving is functioning just fine. E-mail is my highest priority now that the web server is up and running.

Thank you for your patience and I'm sorry again for the downtime,

~IM
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah! Thanks for all the hard work you put into the site. Gald to see it back, though I wasn't worried :)

I can see that the fortune quotes in your signature is one thing currently not working :P
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, while you're here, can you explain why the forum seems to think I'm a "gay asshole"? (See left)
Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raspberry!

Well, at least some things are working now. Glad to know you're back, man.

What it looks like is that the ranking titles aren't being overwritten by the custom user titles, so that explains the gay asshole thing at least.

Erm, is there an estimate on how long before you can start working on repairing the FTP side of things? I need to, uh, restore a backup.
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
Hey, while you're here, can you explain why the forum seems to think I'm a "gay asshole"? (See left)

Hah, good point.

(This post is mostly to see if I am anything or not.)

EDIT: Alas, no one cares enough about me even to insult me. Raspberry!
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need more enemies.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:

OK, that's really, really amusing and completely unintended! During the recovery, the phpBB Ranks table was corrupt. Given that we haven't changed those properties in forever, I just copied the data from what I thought was one of the archived backups (I have about 10 copies of the CP database that aren't very well labeled). I didn't bother validating the data but I really have no idea why your particular rank is Gay Asshole. I'm guessing I happened to use the db from when we were hacked or something. Looking in the admin section, all other ranks are simply "-".

I'll grab another backup and restore your rank. Really, truly sorry about.

~IM

P.S. Raekuul, is FTP not working for you? I am able to FTP into the server from work. Everything appears to be functioning on that front.
Delicious!

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible that my ftp client is messed up, but when I tried to connect after CP came back online FireFTP was spat a bad certificate error at me.

I tried connecting over hosting.castleparadox, but that wasn't working either.

EDIT: Looks like I forgot my password *-*
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey sorry if this iis the wrong thread to post this in but it appears that CP has became Hotel California, whenever I try to log out I get this;

Code:
Invalid_session

I mean it's no biggy, I don't mind being stuck logged into CP forever, I just thought that I best report the problem.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeoSpade wrote:
Hey sorry if this iis the wrong thread to post this in but it appears that CP has became Hotel California, whenever I try to log out I get this;

Code:
Invalid_session

I mean it's no biggy, I don't mind being stuck logged into CP forever, I just thought that I best report the problem.

Well that's interesting. I was just able to sign out of CP just fine. I'll take a look into the logs to see if anything stands out.

Thanks for letting me know about this error. Is there any more information on the page or in the error message?

Cheers,

~IM
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: