Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

PrePlan for Improved Items

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msw188

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:48 am    Post subject: PrePlan for Improved Items Reply with quote

After The Mad Cacti mentioned the lack of a plan for better items in my thread on the Help forum, I thought maybe we as a community could start working towards one. So let's use this thread to decide what kinds of options should be available in custom for items. Some of these suggestions are probably already on Bugzilla as feature requests, but it might be nice to have this one thread to discuss this. Here are some of mine:

*Ability to call a script, along with passing it an user-definable argument

*Ability to change the effect of using an item based on tags; an interface like the door-linking menu might be nice, one for each item

*Ability to change equippability based on tags, similar to above

*Ability to be equippable in more than one slot, and having stat gains depend on what slot the item is equipped in

*Ability to disable unequipping (cursed equipment)

*Ability to set, on a per item basis, the maximum amount of any item allowed to the player, although I'm not sure how game should handle the player obtaininga new item after he has hit the max... perhaps each such item would also have an option to set a script to call upon reaching overtaking the max, and if none is selected then the item simply disappears? Then it is the author's job to set up a script to handle what happens.

*Ability to be unable to sell, yet be consumed by use

*Ability to set a default selling price. Actually, a customizable global default percentage for selling price might be nice too (it's 50% right now)

*Of course, I still dream of individualized item menues, but I've already made my dream a reality, haha. That said, if they ever became part of the engine, I would be simultaneously elated and infuriated

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
FnrrfYgmSchnish
Probably the Grand Poobah or something

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*Ability to be equippable in more than one slot, and having stat gains depend on what slot the item is equipped in

This would have been insanely useful back in 2002 or so when I was working on Spuduf Splorchers.

One of the main parts of the game is how these little spirit-thingies called "Spuduf" could be equipped, and I had used three slots for them (with only one for armor and one for weapons), but it was kind of limited by how you could only put certain Spuduf in certain slots.
JSH357

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parent-child relationships between items, or the ability to edit item properties via plotscripting.
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Parent-child relationships between items

I don't understand.

* Item extra data!
* An equivalent to Resident Evil's system of "combining" items to produce a new item.
* A PS command which brings up the player's inventory, the player selects an item, and the item's ID is returned.
* A way for text boxes to prompt item use. Like ... the text says:
"The door is locked" (OK / USE ITEM) <- and the second option brings up your inventory.
I suppose that the latter suggestion is already easily do-able.

Those would be awesome for puzzle making.

Other ideas:
The ability to associate portraits
Names longer than 8 characters?
JSH357

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean, the ability to make items on the fly that are just like other items but with minor differences (hence, changing properties via scripting).
Bagne

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo. I like that.
Might that make game-saving a little tricky ... ?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're changing the save format to something more freeform anyway. After that, other improvements will flow like milk and honey.
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
*Ability to be equippable in more than one slot

YES!
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'm seeing a clear pattern in certain requests. I've started writing a proposal: 'Plan for improved items' which so far covers improvements to equipment and item use. I think that covers all the relevant requests I've heard so far, aside from cursed equipment which I'm less sure about (maybe a global bitset (as opposed to an Equip Entry), controlled by tag conditions?). Comments soght. But it does seem like it creates too much work when creating multiple Equip Entries that share a lot of data, such as equipping an item in multiple slots, but for the same heroes, and with the same stats and elemental bitsets each time. Adding keys to let you copy and paste this seems pretty awkward.

I'm very interested in being able to modify items with scripts to create unique items.

Quote:
Parent-child relationships between items

An item type hierarchy sounds like a great simplifying idea! So if you have a base item "HvySwrd", we could add script commands that accept "item:HvySwrd" as an argument, and search for/count/delete/equip any HvySwrds and child items such as a modified +1 damage HvySwrd.

More feedback later...
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Percentage based stat increases/decreases(e.g. +10% Atk, -20% Def)
* Multiple inventories. This could have a number of good uses but just off the top of my head:
- Giving each character their own inventory
- Setting up some kind of banking system
- Treating treasure chests something like Fallout or Elder Scrolls (you can take items or leave them in different places)
* System to import/export huge lists of items (like we have with text boxes). This would make item copy/pasting and large scale edits much easier.
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about plotscripting up a multiple-inventory system for S&S.
msw188

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some more thoughts concerning equipment:

*Have equipment changeable AND usable in battle!!!

*Have weapons a bitset to be endowed with an 'attack' element (or elements). This does nothing by itself but...

*Have attacks have a bitset "Use equipped weapon's 'attack' elemental bitsets"

PS: to Bagne (and anyone else interested), the download for Tales 2 at Slime Salad contains the scripts used to make the individualized item menues, if you'd like to see how one person did it (I still do believe I am the first to do so while still using the OHR's battle system)

www.euphonicbrew.com
Bagne

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool!
May I wade through those included script files?
Which one contains the multiple inventory stuff?
msw188

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course you can wade all you like. The text file "BetterItemSystem" was my beginning planning document (no scripts, just a basic outline that slowly changed as I began coding). The file "TNW2ItemScripts" has the majority of the scripts relevant to maintaining the individual items, but it's not commented particularly well (or maybe much at all...).

As always, if you have any questions just ask! I'm fairly proud of my system (I remember thinking that I had actually impressed TMC with using levelMP for item usage in battle), but there are lots of quirks that need to be maintained in custom to keep it all running smoothly (treasure chests need to both call a specific script AND give the item that they are supposed to, although this will be deleted from standard inventory by the script). Equipping also needed some thought...

Ah, you'll see.

www.euphonicbrew.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: