Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Suggestions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surlaw wrote:
Part of this engine's appeal is that you can make a full game without any programming/scripting, forcing someone to use scripts just to display text is a Very Bad Idea.

Forcing people to use scripting to accomplish any of the engine's current default features is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA.
Nepenthe

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but how about a mark/clone tool for the tilemap editor? It would be extremely useful to be able to move groups of tiles around at once. (In fact, I'm hoping this already exists and I'm just missing it.)
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already there.

It looks like an 'M' and/or 'C'

Campaigning for Linux! Down with Win.exe!

PS. It's mean to replace words just because you don't like them ¬_¬ moderators...
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?

Holy cow! I missed this! (Will try as soon as able)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's for the graphics editor, not the map editor.
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phooey :-(
I was dancing around for a bit there.
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.... >_> my mistake. Oookay...

My advice is to make smaller maps Big grin If you're copying and pasting too much it can end up feeling very monotonous.

PS. It's mean to replace words just because you don't like them ¬_¬ moderators...
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about a 'replace color' function on maptiles?
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure thats already been suggested.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a list of suggestions anywhere? Otherwise...we need one just to make sure double posts don't become a hassle.

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Taylor wrote:
How about a 'replace color' function on maptiles?

That's needed, was meaning to add it but forgot about it (This Is Not A Promise)

Nepenthe wrote:
I'm sure this has been suggested before, but how about a mark/clone tool for the tilemap editor? It would be extremely useful to be able to move groups of tiles around at once. (In fact, I'm hoping this already exists and I'm just missing it.)

I'm not sure what you're asking. Do you want to copy and paste pieces of tiles, like the mark/clone tool in the sprite editor, or do you want to treat the whole tileset as a 320x200 image and mark/copy from that?

You can move a whole lots of tiles around really quickly using the Cut Tiles tool; it's just a little bit inconvenient and confusing.

Ravenshade wrote:
Is there a list of suggestions anywhere? Otherwise...we need one just to make sure double posts don't become a hassle.

You can file feature requests on 'bugzilla' with severity set to "feature request", and there are hundreds. We're welcome to do so (and encouraged to vote for other bugs and feature requests). It's a good place to discuss details of complicated features but aside from that doesn't improve chances of it being implemented all that much, because most suggestions drown.

That are also lots of previous suggestion threads, but I don't keep links (just a personal TODO list)
Nepenthe

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify: I'm suggesting a tool to aid in placing tiles in the map editor.

For example, let's say you had a tree that was 2 tile wide by 3 tiles high. Instead of having to place all six tiles every time you need a tree, you'd be able to build one tree, then mark those six tiles and clone them wherever a tree is needed.

Or another example, imagine you've just completed a very large world map, but you realize that you need a certain continent to be a few tiles to the left of where it is now. Rather than draw the whole continent over again you could just mark it, cover the original with ocean, and clone a new one in the correct position.

This also be useful for complex map elements built from tiles from multiple layers

Ideally there'd be two versions "Mark all layers" and "Mark current layer only." Just a thought.
G-Wreck
OHRRPGCE Game Designer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be extremely helpful: especially if you could use the mouse in the map editor as well.

Finishing the main story arcs and gameplay elements before I do anything else.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know Bagne's been asking for that for awhile, and I totally agree with its usefulness.

However, let's consider what would have to be done to make it fully worthwhile:

One of the things that makes the graphics mark/clone tool so nice is that you can move the cloned sprite anywhere around the canvas. If I want to move a face more to the right, but not the body, I can do it without having to move a foot or a hand or anything outside of my selection ratio. In other words, it's great because it relies on pixel selection.

While I think a default tile grouping would be a nice addition, I think it would be incomplete without the ability to move the object around the tilemap on a pixel-by-pixel basis. In other words, if I want to move that rock formation down to the edge of the water, or in the water, I should be able to decide precisely where to place it.

Tile grouping would be a great substitute for now, but tile spriting (where that six-tile tree acts as a single unit) and precise placement (perhaps when nontile alignment is implemented?) would be better.

Hard to say when they'll get around to developing something like that.

Just for the record, I think it would be nice if the developers had a "priorities" worksheet to help them not only stay organized in the development, but also to keep accountable about getting things done. It seems like some features creep up like shiny objects and more important features like new save format gets pushed back another couple of years when they desperately need to get worked on, but don't (or do, but very, very slowly). It might also help those of us making the suggestions to be more aware of what's going on so that we don't bog the developers down with ideas that can't even be addressed until 2014 at the earliest.

It might also be advantageous to update the planner wiki with priority codes so that something that's nice, but can wait, might get a low score, while something detrimental will get more attention. This would also help budding developer assistants to get some idea about what's needed at the moment, should they decide to help.

I'm sure things will get done a little more smoothly at least if such a priority list is made, if not more quickly.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the other developers, but I think that right now my own personal top priorities are:

* 'Plan for new save format'
* 'Plan for improved mouse support'
* '' . bug_title('826') . ''

Although all of those are trumped by my wanting to work on making games. :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: