Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Aliens OKGO!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Aliens OKGO! Reply with quote

This thread is to talk about aliens, because I absolutely adore aliens.

Post anything you have to say about aliens, say to aliens (Hello, please abduct me and teach me cool things!), or heard from aliens (?).

Here's what I think about aliens:

1) They know far more than I can imagine
2) Most of them are probably good natured and peaceful

Consider: The galaxy is 12-13 billion years old. Our civilizatoin took only 4.5 billion years to develop from a molten rock that was once the Earth. To me this suggests that most other civilizations in our galaxy have existed for a much MUCH longer time than we have.

Look at how far science has progressed in the last 150 years, and think of what an alien civilization can learn over 8 billion!

Also, cruel and warlike civilization is unstable - the chances of surviving 8 billion years is way higher for any civilization that is peaceful. If there are any violent races out there (like us), they'd be relatively new because they haven't yet learned to live peacefully and sustainably - failure to do so risks self destruction. We, the violent civilizations therefore are in the minority. It's no wonder that we haven't been visited by others. When we grow up and figure out how to live peacefully, then they might come.
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Protip: Don't haphazardly type in "Alien" into Google image search. Disturbing stuff there.

That said, you're all going to do it now. My warning: beware bloody fetus thingies.

Now then, what do I know about aliens? Well, for starters, I hated the fact that they ended up being the focus of that one Indiana Jones movie. So if I ever meet one I might punch it in the face out of spite.
Wait, do they even have faces?
mjkrzak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Aliens OKGO! Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:

Here's what I think about aliens:

1) They know far more than I can imagine
2) Most of them are probably good natured and peaceful

While I enjoy your enthusiasm immensely, I think your logic is a wee bit skewed.

Let me start with the assumption that non-terran life is practically a guarantee. What with a nigh-infinite amount of space to work in, and space being lousy with the stuff of life, I fully expect life to be as stubbornly adaptable off planet as it is on planet. So in this, we agree.

But them knowing more than we? Eh, mixed bag.

I would recommend reading The Alien in Our Minds. (Don't worry, it's only about a dozen pages.)

Or consider the Drake Equation. (Just consider it, you can't put really worthwhile numbers into it right now.)

There's more at play here.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have high confidence that extraterrestrial single-cell life will be found withing my lifetime. The panspermia theory is very compelling, and I will be a little surprised if we don't find a moon or two around Jupiter or Saturn that is just teeming with some kind of simple life. (My money is on Enceladus, but we will see)

As for intelligent life, we have to talk about the Fermi paradox. All our estimates of how likely life is suggest that there should be a lot of it, so why hasn't any of it contacted us yet? The SETI still hasn't found any solid signals.

But what about the space between single-celled life and intelligent life? That is a pretty big space.

The earth is estimated to be about 4.5 billion years old, and the first life on earth is estimated to be about 3.7 billion years ago. Multicellular life started something like 1.7 billion years ago. Human life is roughly 250 thousand years old, and civilization is 3 or 4 thousand years old. Radio communications are about 120 years old

Code:
4,500,000,000  Earth
3,700,000,000  Life
1,700,000,000  Complex life
      250,000 Intelligent
        3,500 Civilized
          120 Radio-communicating

I think finding intelligent life will be a matter of patience. Our very oldest signals can't have gotten any further than 120 light years, and we couldn't currently get any reply from any further away than 60 light years.

Also, whenever we do find an intelligent signal, what if it is coming from a star 1000 light years away? If we send a reply, they won't get it until 3010 our time, and the reply to our reply couldn't come any sooner than the year 4010.

Our galaxy is 100,000 light years across.

Also, I do really like the idea that intelligent life would be more intelligent than us, and that a more intelligent civilization would be more peaceful. I like to think that greater intelligence would naturally lead to harmony-- but I don't know that for sure. Humans are not an entirely encouraging case-study for that. One theory as to why we haven't seen signs of intelligent life is the idea that intelligence typically leads to destructiveness, so advanced civilizations blow themselves up (or back to the stone age) before they get time to contact one another. I don't like that idea, but I certainly can't discount it.
Bagne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: The Drake Equation
Because none of the factors in the Drake equation have been evaluated to anyone's satisfaction, it doesn't really tell us anything other than that there is a non-zero probability for intelligent life to arise (as we did). That's good enough for me.
But ok James, I agree it's fair to say that some species won't make it as a galactic civilization, and some won't... but I would find it hard to believe that *all* intelligent life is doomed to kill/stonageify itself. Even if it turns out that humanity is doomed, I think we've shown enough promise to conclude that there is a non-zero probability of civilization's success.
So - yeah, maybe these civilizations start off with a mixed bag of characteristics, but it's the peaceful ones that will survive the test of time. All those billions of years of galactic history have filtered out the bad dudes - it's survival of the peaceful. Furthermore, they must have spent that time doing *something* ... I would guess they were (and still are) busy with art and science as a galactic (or larger) community. They may also have left this galaxy for higher prospects - like ... another dimension?

Re: Alien Minds
I think it's a good guess that most (if not all) aliens are social. If you life a life of isolation, it is not easy to learn anything ... and it's next to impossible to build a spaceship.

Re: SETI
I wouldn't expect the SETI program to find any signals. Would aliens really still be using E&M waves? I can't imagine a space-age civilization to rely on a means of interstellar communication which works on timescales of thousands of years. Surely, there must be something better, and they have invented it. I think E&M communication is just a phase we're in, and it's not going to last - SETI was worth a shot, but I don't think it will find anything.

I've wondered why no aliens have openly come to visit us, and this is my conclusion:
Even if the aliens arrive on Earth with the best of intentions, the whole planet would be thrown into turmoil. To whom would the aliens speak? The Chinese? The Argentinians? All the nations on Earth would be yapping at them like children trying to get an adult's attention: Imagine the reaction of the U.S. government if the aliens chose to build an embassy in Iran!
So, if they land here now, we'd become a danger to ourselves, and to the aliens. I think they're waiting for us to unite under a world government - one which represents all of humanity, not just a faction.

Other:
It might be worth mentioning that our solar system formed from supernova remnants - that's why we have heavier elements (Berylium and higher) on Earth. Many of these elements are needed by life - I'm guessing that any solar system capable of supporting life was formed from clouds of heavier elements that was expelled by a star.
I'm not familiar with star life cycles... are supernovae the only means through which these heavier elements can be expelled from stars?

I am super pumped about the prospects of Martian life.
I'm with Peter Ward on this one: we ought to send a Palaeontologist to Mars to look for fossils.
Oh, and if we're open to the possibility of non-Earthlike life (doesn't necessarily rely on CHNOPS, doesn't necessarily rely on water as a solvent), those gas planet moons look pretty good.

I read somewhere that there has been enough meteor impacts for panspermia occur multiple times between Earth and Mars.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
But ok James, I agree it's fair to say that some species won't make it as a galactic civilization, and some won't... but I would find it hard to believe that *all* intelligent life is doomed to kill/stonageify itself. Even if it turns out that humanity is doomed, I think we've shown enough promise to conclude that there is a non-zero probability of civilization's success.

I agree, but it just means maybe we will have to search longer and further away before we find somebody to talk to.

Bagne wrote:
So - yeah, maybe these civilizations start off with a mixed bag of characteristics, but it's the peaceful ones that will survive the test of time. All those billions of years of galactic history have filtered out the bad dudes - it's survival of the peaceful.

Survival of the peaceful! That is a fantastic phrase! I like that idea. I think you are spot on with that one.

Bagne wrote:
Re: Alien Minds
I think it's a good guess that most (if not all) aliens are social. If you life a life of isolation, it is not easy to learn anything ... and it's next to impossible to build a spaceship.

All the intelligent species on earth are social. Chimps, Dolphins, Dogs, Cats, Crows. I believe there is even a theory that socialization is a required ingredient for intelligence.

Quote:
Re: SETI
I wouldn't expect the SETI program to find any signals. Would aliens really still be using E&M waves?

I don't see why not. Radio is extremely well suited to long distance communication. X-rays and gamma rays might be good too though, so those are worth watching also.

Quote:
I can't imagine a space-age civilization to rely on a means of interstellar communication which works on timescales of thousands of years. Surely, there must be something better, and they have invented it. I think E&M communication is just a phase we're in, and it's not going to last - SETI was worth a shot, but I don't think it will find anything.

Nothing is going to go faster then EM. Nothing is going to go faster than light. If we find life 1000 light years away, then our communication is going to have to go in 2000 year cycles. All schemes for faster-than-light communication are fiction, and come from the realm of wishful thinking, not science.

Quote:
I've wondered why no aliens have openly come to visit us, and this is my conclusion:

I used to wonder about that, but all theories on faster-than-light travel are wishful thinking too. Infinite intelligence won't be enough to break relativity. No extraterrestrials have visited us because the distances are too dang long. The space shuttle would take 165,000 years to reach the closest star, Alpha Centauri just 4.37 light years away. Even with the fastest propulsion devices we can imagine maybe possibly working (theoretical antimatter drives), it would still take something like 200 years to travel 4.37 light years. I think no aliens have visited us because it is too dang far. We can expect that a more advanced civilization could make faster engines than we can. Maybe they can actually make the antimatter drives that we can only imagine, but we can not expect a more advanced civilization to break the laws of physics. No star-trek style warp drives.
Bagne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Survival of the peaceful! That is a fantastic phrase! I like that idea. I think you are spot on with that one.

Alright! Some backup!
:-)

Quote:
I believe there is even a theory that socialization is a required ingredient for intelligence.

Ooh!
Where did you hear this? I'm interested - I'm looking for material for my comic book (which includes many aliens).

Quote:
Nothing is going to go faster then EM. Nothing is going to go faster than light. If we find life 1000 light years away, then our communication is going to have to go in 2000 year cycles. All schemes for faster-than-light communication are fiction, and come from the realm of wishful thinking, not science.

This is true - FTL travel has energy barriers, and the whole notion doesn't jive with causality.
But :-)
GR has it possible to outrun light within curved spacetimes by taking a shorter route - there are many scenarios where this is possible - wormholes are only one of them.
Heck, we don't even know for sure that the universe is 4 dimentional - it could be 6, or 12 (I think they're testing for this at the LHC).

Anyways, this is kind of beside my point - even if GR instead stated that interstellar travel was impossible - Science has a habit of breaking its laws of the past:
Newtonian physics is wrong - but it works at non-relativistic speeds.
I'll wager that GR and QED are wrong, although they work under certain parameter regimes (we just have to figure out what these parameters are). Beyond this regime, a more general theory of physics would take over (where FTL is possible?).

Oh, and this surprised me when I first heard this: tachyons experience a similar energy barrier - they can't slow down to the speed of light, and even weirder, they lose energy as their speed approaches infinity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

Last edited by Bagne on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
Quote:
I believe there is even a theory that socialization is a required ingredient for intelligence.

Ooh!
Where did you hear this? I'm interested - I'm looking for material for my comic book (which includes many aliens).

Hmmm. I think I read it in one of the Science of Discworld books, but this wikipedia article mentions it too.

Bagne wrote:

This is true - FTL travel has energy barriers, and the whole notion doesn't jive with causality.
But :-)
GR has it possible to outrun light within curved spacetimes by taking a shorter route - there are many scenarios where this is possible - wormholes are only one of them.
Heck, we don't even know for sure that the universe is 4 dimentional - it could be 6, or 12 (I think they're testing for this at the LHC).

But none of the extra dimensions implied by string theory suggest a way to bypass light speed.

Bagne wrote:
Anyways, this is kind of beside my point - even if GR instead stated that interstellar travel was impossible - Science has a habit of breaking its laws of the past:
Newtonian physics is wrong - but it works at non-relativistic speeds.
I'll wager that GR and QED are wrong, although they work under certain parameter regimes (we just have to figure out what these parameters are). Beyond this regime, a more general theory of physics would take over (where FTL is possible?).

Newtonian physics isn't wrong, it just isn't accurate enough at large scales. A better theory will probably supplant GR eventually, but it will refine it and generalize it, not change it.

Also, remember that FTL travel and time travel are equivalent. it would be impossible to invent one without inventing the other (that is to say, any time machine could be used for FTL travel, and any FTL drive could be used as a time machine.)

Bagne wrote:
Oh, and this surprised me when I first heard this: tachyons experience a similar energy barrier - they can't slow down to the speed of light, and even weirder, they lose energy as their speed approaches infinity.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tachyon

Yeah Tachyons are a cool idea. But they would always have to be outside of the observable universe, by definition.
Bagne

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But none of the extra dimensions implied by string theory suggest a way to bypass light speed.

I guess I shouldn't have said "outrun light" - that's not what I mean ... I mean to outnavigate it. No FTL or impossible time travel is necessary.
I can never outrun light if I follow the same path as a photon. But if I "zoom out" and consider the shape of the spacetime (or somehow actively warp the spacetime myself), it's possible to shoot some photons at a target, and then beat the photons to their destination by taking a shorter path. This is possible under GR, not just string theory.

Example:
If I were living on a planar surface (2D), and I was shooting a laser at a target - the laser will always reach the target before me. Now imagine that this planar surface is warped into a spherical surface (3D) in such a way that the target ends up directly behind me. Now, I can shoot the laser so that it circles the long way around the sphere, while I walk the shorter distance, and beat the photon to its destination.
This is why I mention higher dimensions. By warping space in a higher dimension, you could theoretically create short cuts to other stars.
Of course, there are problems with creating wormholes and the like, but I mention them because they demonstrate that it is possible (in principle) to beat light to its destination.

Quote:

Newtonian physics isn't wrong, it just isn't accurate enough at large scales. A better theory will probably supplant GR eventually, but it will refine it and generalize it, not change it.

I think we're saying the same thing in different words.
My way of saying it is "Physical theories are only accurate within certain parameter domains."
Outside these parameter domains, the physical theories are wrong - i.e. Newtonian mechanics makes incorrect predictions when dealing with relativistic speeds and/or relativistic masses (i.e. very high speeds and/or masses). Last post, I was suggesting the possibility that GR's predictions (including the universal speed limit) suffer similar inaccuracies under special (and yet-to-be-determined) circumstances.
... such as ...
Puppies!
Say the speed of light happens to be proportional to (K+P)/K, where P is puppy density, and K is a constant. We simply haven't yet observed high enough puppy densities to observe any deviation in GR's normal predictions.

I've also wondered this:
Life as we know it is made possible though the complex dynamics of chemistry. I often wonder if other equally complex systems exist. Like ... if you can construct complex systems of spacetime from "elemental" units of spacetime bubbles, and these systems interact with their surroundings in a way which allows them to relf-replicate with heritability and mutation. You'd get a bacteria, but it would be made out of space!
Hm ...
Where would it get its energy?
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Wormholes - Despite the solid math, and the agreement with GR, I still have to file these under "wishful thinking". Assuming that the exotic matter necessary to create a wormhole actually exists, and the energy required to keep a wormhole stable turns out to be smaller than the available energy in the universe, an extraterrestrial who had mastered wormhole travel would still have to make the first trip to visit us with slower-than-light travel, towing an end-point of the wormhole behind them so they could park it in our neighborhood for later commerce.

That actually reminds me of a book called Menoetius by Jeff Lait. In this book, humans have developed a FTL drive, and all the other intelligent civilizations in the galaxy use a network of wormholes-- the catch is the space that the humans have explored and the space that the galactic coalition has set up wormholes to don't overlap, so neither group knows about the other yet.

Anyway, I should stop harping on the physics and focus on the aliens! :)

I wonder if the insides of stars would be a good place for exotic life? Maybe stable self-replecating patterns could emerge in the soup of continuous nuclear explosions? Maybe such life would live on such a fast timescale that millions of generations could live and die in the span of a single solar flare.

This article is really fun
Bagne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure Newton felt the same about the idea of embarking on a round trip to the moon.
His laws state that - in principle - it is possible to get there and back ... but the devil is in the details - how to build a cannon of the necessary size and scope? How will the explorer survive the cannon blast? Or, if he were to build a rocket, how would he load sufficient gunpowder to make the trip without weighing the rocket down, or blowing it to pieces?
He probably considered flying machines and space travel to be wishful thinking.

Wow - that article looks very cool! I'll definitely give it a read.
I noticed a section of that article that mentions non-green photosynthesis, and it reminds me:
I read about a fungus living in Chernobyl's crater that appears to be supplementing its energy intake by absorbing gamma rays. I insist that this is very cool.

With a million generations in a single solar flare, your solar dudes would evolve pretty awesomely fast ... unless they have a small rate of mutation.

The closest system I know of to approximating the dynamical complexity of chemistry (and hence support its own form of 'life') is modern computers ... which makes my MacBook a little creepy.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@panspermia
Xanthoria elegans lichen can survive for 18 months in the vacuum of space. http://www.esa.int/esaCP/SEM72XRJR4G_index_0.html
Bagne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's wicked.

This reminds me of a term paper I wrote on Deinococcus radiodurans, the most radiation-resistant organism known.

It's a bacteria which can be exposed to obscene amounts of radiation, shattering its genome into *hundreds* of pieces, and then make a full recovery. I forget exactly how it repaired its DNA ... uh ... it had 7 or 8 redundant copies, and the good copies somehow made a template for the broken ones ... I forget how.

Anyways, you wonder "where on Earth would there exists a selective pressure to evolve such a crazy amount of radiation resistance?" After all, this bacteria is resistant to radiation levels many orders of magnitude higher than any natural source on Earth. Some papers couldn't resist to suggest panspermia - space has high radiation levels.

As it turns out - the most serious DNA damage from radiation (double strand breaks) also occurs under severely desiccating conditions.
Apparently some scientists went to the desert of Tataouine (yes that's a real place) and found lots of Deinococcus living in the sand, as well as other radiation resistant strains of bacteria. So - they're not radiation adapted, they're desiccation adapted!

So maybe panspermia isn't necessary to explain the radioresistance, but ... the radioresistance easily makes it possible for spores of the bacteria to survive the radiation levels experienced during space travel. All you need is a really dry desert to evolve the radioresistance.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was reading more about the lichen-in-a-vacuum experiment, and they said that one of the harshest aspects of the vacuum of space is the dryness. Water in space vaporizes away instantly, so the same lichens that did best in space are the ones that do best in ultra-dry conditions.

Although still unresolved in the panspermia theory is how life could survive exiting and entering an atmosphere. It would have to be able to survive (A) being blasted into space by a meteor impact and (B) survive the intense heat of falling through the atmosphere of a planet and impacting the surface inside a meteor.

Some test are planned on this. But I don't know if this involves dropping lichen filled rocks from orbit or attaching them to the underside of a re-entering spacecraft, or what. [EDIT: actually, somebody already did that with success in 2007 http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abs/2008cosp...37..660D ]

The difficulties of entry an exit do suggest to me that panspermia would be hella easer between asteroids and comets than it would be between planets like earth and mars. If there was some sort of bacteria or something that could live on comet ice and solar radiation, then the solar system could probably be *filthy* with it. [EDIT: a space probe lander sent to examine the surface of some tholin covered moons would be fantastic]
Bagne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those experiments are pretty amazing! It goes to show just how terribly tough you need to be in order to stick to a rock your whole life :-)

Do you know if anyone has produced any numbers on how large a meteor it takes to eject something large enough for life to piggy-back?
Ooh - this could be extremely cool: we find bacteria in space, sequence its genome, and realized that this strain of bacteria branched from a common Earth species 65 million years ago, coinciding with the meteor impact of the Cretatious Tertiary boundary.

I wonder what methods they we would use to look for alien bacteria. You know how scientists often say "Well, if alien life is not Earth-like, we don't know what to look for."
I developed a new appreciation for this notion upon learning about Prochlorococcus cyanobacteria. Here's why: as far as we know, Prochlorococcus is the most abundant organism on Earth, and is responsible for an estimated 20% of the Earth's photosynthesis. Now, people have been studying bacteria for over a hundred years, and during all this time we have been developing techniques for culturing and observing them ... but Prochlorococcus wasn't discovered until 1986!! How can we miss this?!?!?
It's the most common organism on Earth!
Oh, and anammox bacteria - same story! Recent estimates have anammox bacteria being responsible for 1/3 - 1/2 of the Earth's total N2 gas production ... but we haven't been able to successfully identify anammox bacteria in a natural environment until 2003!!!
It's madness! It's like scientists all of a sudden realize that world is balancing on the back of a giant elephant.

Anyways, how do we look for life on other planets, if we can't even find it here on Earth?
I'd probably start by looking for Earthlike DNA, lipids, proteins ... uh ... and then move on to looking for complex organic molecules - anything with a lot of carbon in them ... and then ... uh ...
Hm, if I had a set of substrate samples, I could expose each one to a different amount of light to see if this affects the substrate's chemistry.
If I got a response, that would be a good sign of life.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: