Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Democratic votes by other rules
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Democratic votes by other rules Reply with quote

Over in the voting thread for the Z codename, Twinhamster said something interesting. What if the winners of a vote were assigned probabilities, and the winner was chosen randomly. So voting for your favorite increases their chances, but it is still really possible for anyone to win.

So in the interest of pursuing that idea, lets play a game. We are going to pretend that we live in an alternate universe in the year 2012. This universe is exactly the same as ours with one important difference. A printed paper copy of the "Z" codename voting thread fell through a worm hole from our dimension and landed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the year 1787, where the framers of the united states constitution decided to use certain elements of it as a loose blueprint for the rules of voting.

By astonishing coincidence, all the elections for president of the alternate-universe-united-states just happened to turn out exactly the same way as they did in our own universe with its state-by-state vote and electoral college. So far, in the alternate universe, every president has been the same as in our universe, from Washington and Jefferson right up to Bush and Obama. (yes, even Polk!)

Now, let us all pretend that we are citizens of the alternate-universe-united-states preparing to vote for the president in the year 2012

Here are the rules:

=NOMINATION=
Every US citizen may nominate a maximum of 5 candidates. You can nominate yourself if you want, but nominating someone competent to lead is probably a better idea, but it is really up to you. Candidates must be real living people who are eligible to serve as president.

=VOTING=
After the nomination period, every citizen may vote for their 3 favorites, in order. Most favorite gets 3 points, second most favorite gets 2 points, and third favorite gets one point. Each citizen also gets one optional antivote which deducts one point.

=LOTTERY=
All valid votes will be tallied, and the results for all candidates with 1 or more votes will be published, listed sorted by points (tied scores will be listed alphabetically). A random number will be chosen in the range of 1 to the total count of points. The president will be chosen from the list according to that random number (with low numbers going to low-scoring candidates and high numbers going to the highest scoring candidate) This the chances of a candidate becoming president are directly proportional to the points he or she won.

I know this is a silly game, but think hard about your votes and try to take this a s seriously as possible ;)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, okay, I don't have my nominations ready yet, but I just saw this:

I didn't even know that was an elected office.... but it kinda makes sense when I think about it ;)

Also, I apologize for asking people to take this thread seriously. We all know that ain't gonna happen, right?

However, I am gonna be strict about the rule that nominees have to be real, living, and eligible (although self nominations are still valid even if you are not a US citizen, since we are all pretending to be citizens of the alternate-universe-united-states in this thread)
Spoonweaver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nominating:

1. Patrick Stewart

2. Seth Macfarlane

3. Dana Snyder

4. Joss Whedon

5. Ozzy Osbourne
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Haha, okay, I don't have my nominations ready yet, but I just saw this:

I didn't even know that was an elected office.... but it kinda makes sense when I think about it Wink

I think it's sometimes quite interesting what google suggests as searches. I sometimes try around by starting putting in a random everyday word like "Girl" and then see what the most results are. Some results are really... unique.

On a sidenote, after years of 16 hours a day posting crazy opinions on public forums always with the same nickname, I finally managed to get into the suggested search phrases:

Yay.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. this guy
3. the guy who plays him
4. James Paige
5. me
Big grin
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... it seems my urls have been rearranged in the 2 minuets after I posted them... the messed up votes were, in order:
1. amber amputee (google image search her, because she has a deadly weapon where her leg should be)
2. some random dude saying "O RLY?"
3. the guy that played live-action luigi in the super mario bro's super show
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Preview button and an Edit button. They are your friends.
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
There is a Preview button and an Edit button. They are your friends.

I tried that. It didn't work. And when I first viewed the post, it was fine. Terribly annoying.
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The edit button doenst work anymore?

someone should tell someone.

EDIT: nvm.
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe AJHooever was talking about his image urls which are either broken or unreliable.
Oh yes, the images work, but they're might be protected so that they won't show up on other websites.
Something about bandwidth theft nowadays that's gotten some sites in a huff.

EDIT: Pic was unrelated, but if that guy can vote for himself, then I can freakin' vote for Luigi.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconlabs wrote:
Pic was unrelated, but if that guy can vote for himself, then I can freakin' vote for Luigi.

Actually, the rules say you can nominate yourself. And you have to nominate a real, living human (which Luigi isn't). (Insert gloating here)
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks real to me.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nominate Hideo Kojima for President of the United States.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
I nominate Hideo Kojima for President of the United States.

He wouldn't be "eligible to serve as president." Only people born in America are.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but he is still my nomination.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: