Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Help and advise to work on the master palette

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bis_senchi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:12 am    Post subject: Help and advise to work on the master palette Reply with quote

I'm using the old version of the master palette and I would like to add colors in the free spaces. (You may remember that the old master palette has free space so that you can add your own colors).

I see how to import it but I don't see what programm(s) could help me?

Under what format are we supposed to work? jpg? bmp? png?
What I see the palettes that come with custom.exe in the import directory
the size seems rather small!

(By the way has the format of the master palette changed with ypsiliform release?)

Could somone who has already done that give me some advise?

Thanks very much in advance for help and support!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The preferred format for master palettes is a 24-bit BMP file which is 16x16 pixels in size. The format didn't change with Ypsiliform. Just edit the palette from the import directory with any graphics editor - each pixel is a colour on the palette - and save it as a 24-bit BMP.
bis_senchi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:24 am    Post subject: I've tried with paint and it worked! Reply with quote

I've tried with paint.exe (the basic graphic editor that comes with windows ) and it worked very well! Thanks a lot!

About paint.exe I've got a little problem : while I was working I managed to define my own personnal colors. But when I left the programm they had been forgotten.

I thought it could be stored in the pic file so I opened again the file with my palette : on the drawing everything was fine (the pixels I added were here) but when I edited colors, (going in the top right menu of paint) all the colors I had predefined were gone (the palette was blank!)

Could somoene tell me how to make paint save the 16 extra colors we can define editing the color menu?

Thanks for the help!
bis_senchi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:49 am    Post subject: So? Has somoene already done this? Reply with quote

So? Do you think it is possible to make paint.exe keep your pre-defined colors AFTER you leave?
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will save your palette if you save your picture as a 16-color .bmp file. (The consequence of course is that you only get 16 colors).

If you want more colors, the best way is probably to just to draw out your own palette on the image itself and pick up the colors with the eyedropper tool.
bis_senchi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:53 am    Post subject: Finally giving up using paint Reply with quote

That's what I also came up with after some reflexion. You create your pre-defined palette picture (using the OHR master palette as a basic) and
save it under the bmp or jpg format.

You launch paint, then you open your own palette file and choose some. Then you open the pic you're currently working on. Until you don't leave paint the colors you added will stay.

The main problem with this method is that you have to know by heart which are the colors you added and which colors are in paint basic palette. If you have use a tone near one of paint basic palette you can easily confuse them.

Other problem paint basic palette cannot be modified or saved!

I understand know why it not recommended to use this programm. I found ultimate painter and Paint TOOL SAI.

I'll try to learn to use those programms. Could someone give me advice or how to became good at making graphics?

I know I have to pratice regularly and post here for some improvement suggestion and criticism. Are their some kind of subjects (easier than others) people usually start with?

As always thanks in advance for your help and advice!
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't use JPG. Ever. Just...don't. They're needlessly huge, and they distort images heavily. The only reason to use them is if you have a nice, crisp drawing and want it to look like you're seeing it through beer goggles. Even then, you should change it back to PNG, BMP, or GIF afterwards to keep it from being an absolute waste.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: