Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Platforming???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J_Taylor
The Self-Proclaimed King of Ketchup

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Platforming??? Reply with quote

Anybody know if there's a way to make a platforming game w/the OHR engine? Like, in the style of Mario?
Shattered Alliance: .05%

See a pattern forming? I do, dammit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's been done plenty of times.

Here's a comprehensive list of all the sidescrollers that have been made with the OHR. It might be worth your while to look at some source code from the games that have them.
http://gilgamesh.hamsterrepublic.com/wiki/ohrrpgce/index.php/Side_scrolling_games

Moreover, Moogle1's done a series of articles on making sidescrollers that you should probably also look at.
http://www.superwalrusland.com/ohr/issue24/ss101/ss101.html
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a good time to check out the HamsterSpeak magazine. Some of the older articles called Sidescrollers 101 deals with this very subject.

And there are a number of platforming games on Castle Paradox, including Trailblazers, Tim-Tim the Mighty Gnome, Timpoline, Slimes!, It Came from Beyond the Moon, and more.

So yes, to answer your question. You just have to know some scripting to do it. Read those articles to learn how. In fact, read the magazine anyway, just because it's a good resource for all things OHR.

EDIT: Evidently Rimudora had the same idea.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That page on the wiki really needs an update. It could contain a lot more information, and it's hardly comprehensive.

I'll release the scripts for Fall Be Kind, probably when an update is released. Advanced scripters might find them very useful, they'd be a much more 'feature complete' base to build on than SS101.

Aside from SS101, I highly recommend looking at the scripts for Baby Bob if you want more. They're heavily documented in a tutorial style and the cleanest sidescrolling scripts you'll find.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys. I'm learning to code, very, very slowly. A sidescroller is just the type of game I want to do most. Downloading articles and games...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the wiki page didn't really help because I'm seeing error on compilation. As in, 'missing a ) or end' or 'cannot understand (x)'

Is this an issue for anybody else? If so, is there any way for me to fix it, cuz I'm not seeing anything. All the If-Then seem ended, as well as the (-) and begin-end. If nobody else has this problem, then is there another way for me to learn to plotscript?

Matter of fact, learning plotscripting PERIOD would be good idea. Anybody know some good resources? I already know how to do simple plotscripting (eg cutscenes, making the character run) but I'm looking for the basics for more complicated stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! Big grin

Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you post the script and the exact error message?

If it says you are missing an "end" statement, it's likely that you have forgotten to put an end parenthesis somewhere.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I deleted an extra parenthesis and it worked. Thanks anyways.

But does anyone know a way to learn plotscripting beyond the very simple?

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked around. You've probably read the 'Plotscripting Tutorial', which stops at a very basic level.

You can read Moogle's tutorial at The Moglery, which seems like a good follow on from the official tutorial if you want to be led through the basics. Just note that it is so ancient that it uses setvariable instead of :=, manually defined constants instead of using 'scancode.hsi', and the obsolete definescript instead of the new 'HamsterSpeak Specification#script and plotscript'.

I think that the SideScroller 101 tutorial is a pretty good introduction to more advanced scripting because it starts from scratch and explains most things.

HamsterSpeak should be getting some massive additions sometime this year, and at that point the existing tutorial will basically be scrap. We ought to have a more complete tutorial and maybe a proper manual. I'd like to see new two tutorials written: one for programmers, which will be rather short, and one for non-programmers and existing users which covers the whole language and moves from basics to advanced scripting. I hope we have some volunteers.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help with basic plotscripting. Like making the hero move, npcs move, etc...

I can also help with basic tutorials. (That IS being re-vamped, right?)

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J_Taylor wrote:
I can also help with basic tutorials. (That IS being re-vamped, right?)

The most basic tutorial (the current Plotscripting Tutorial) should probably be revamped to cover the basics of script multitasking (or whatever we end up calling it), even if it remains so basic that it doesn't mention variables. Because multitasking will be extremely useful to anyone using the walknpc or walkhero commands.
J_Taylor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the basic stuff really well. Like, I could write up an instruction piece for making heroes move around, without variables or arguments. I could add arguments too, though. I'd need to understand them a little better. I can use arguments, but I get confused a lot. Raspberry!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: