Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

"The Hero of Time" film now ONLINE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: "The Hero of Time" film now ONLINE Reply with quote

View it here, at Dailymotion.com

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbg25m_the-hero-of-time_shortfilms

My advice, knowing how detail-oriented many of you are, is to just take the film for what it is, because if you watch it determined to judge its quality comparable to big-budget films, you'll only find yourself hating what I believe was a noble effort put forth that admittedly surpasses anyone else's current Legend of Zelda film.

But yes, I did the music to the film, so having done my part, I have to share it. =p

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music is great. That's all I have to say.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit I had no special enthusiasm for this movie when it was first released, other than the knowledge that Setu did the music. I had already heard the wonderful tracks he had posted separately, so I was content to procrastinate on actually watching the film.

But now that Nintendo has attempted a takedown, a copy of this movie is going directly into my personal backup collection. It pisses me off when people use copyright to censor the creative expression of their own fans :(
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Nintendo needs to protect the trademark on its characters or it will lose them. I doubt there is any ill will between Nintendo and the filmmakers -- in fact, Nintendo graciously allowed them to continue showing the movie until the end of the year. I doubt Nintendo is going to continue pursuing the matter and the video will always be easy to find online if you know where to look. Fortunately for our friend Mr. Powell, I don't think the soundtrack is affected and it will probably remain available for download from the website for as long as the website is available for download.

At least that's how I understand it.
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it was trademark law in this case. Nintendo had to close it down.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have to protect their trademark, but that certainly doesn't mean they have to close it down. Simply demanding that the filmmaker display a notice stating that the characters and names are trademarks of Nintendo (which they had already done anyway) would satisfy the enforcement requirement without stopping distribution of the film.

The nicely worded concession on http://www.theherooftime.com/ doesn't convince me that Nintendo was being gracious about anything, It just makes me suspect that Nintendo pointed big enough lawyers at the filmmakers to scare them into pretending everything was friendly.

I stand corrected about this being a Copyright case, you are right, it is a trademark case (Although I have heard of copyright lawsuits being lost with even weaker claims to "Derivative Work" than this one.)
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sucks to nintendo. I say BNB should put the file up on some file sharing site under a new name, and make hints at the name on thier website. (You'll never hear me say "sucks to Nintendo" again)
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea noalegal@noa.nintendo.com Idea

That email adress is for the nintendo legal department. I bet, with enough appeals that are logical (like "make them pay royalties instead of bringing them down" type stuff), we can get the movie back up on the internet! I'v already sent my email, you should, too!
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
The nicely worded concession on http://www.theherooftime.com/ doesn't convince me that Nintendo was being gracious about anything, It just makes me suspect that Nintendo pointed big enough lawyers at the filmmakers to scare them into pretending everything was friendly.

I've heard some frightening stories about those Nintendo suits. It would explain why everyone tries so very hard to just barely avoid using Nintendo trademarks, even though their usage is perfectly reasonable (or silly.)
If I happen to run into some articles about this sort of thing, I'll post 'em here.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since there would be no royalties.
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could promise 100% of anything they earn :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: