Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Poseidon (mild nudity) +ingame screendumps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Royal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 2:59 am    Post subject: Poseidon (mild nudity) +ingame screendumps Reply with quote

Hey again
Here's a new one, the picture is sketched from a location in my hometown and colored in photoshop.
It's for a job which I need to do a series of concept art for a shortfilm.
I used a very loose style this time instead of rendering to death and it took me around 3 hours to pull together.
Love to hear your thoughts since this kind of painting is new to me.

Oh right there are some screendumps from the game Ive done cutscenes for on gamespot, maybe someone is interested in seeing how it looks graphically.
In that case here are a few;

Cheers
JSH357

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

0_0 Holy crap, that's awesome.

The only thing I can really say anything negative about is that the first picture looks a little blurry on the sides. It might be my screen, though.

Great stuff, though.
My favorite one is the fourth one.
That monster is RAD2DMAX; reminds me of King K. Rool in Donkey Kong Country.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap! You know something awesome? You're a great artist and you're getting paid for it. It usually doesn't work like that. Your imagination is unpredictable and powerful, and most producers of art these days are looking for something safe and sane, they'd rather give what they know people like than try something fancy and new. This shit is brilliant though, and it's amazing that someone as creative as you made it into the professional realm. I wouldn't call it luck so much as that anyone to pass up your talent would have to have a severe mental handicap.

BTW, what can you tell us about the game? Do you get to pilot that totally wicked robot monkey Master Blaster type thing? Is the boss really that big? Blah blah blah? And so on and so on?

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Royal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't seem to interest that many Raspberry!
Thank you for the feedback RS and JSH Big grin

JSH; It might be a bit blurry but I'm not really sure what you are refering
at, sky? buildings?

RS;
Thanks man, you gave me a kick in the butt when I needed it the most, been on a downhill lately.

As for the game; You control the small robot which stands beneath that huge monster, there are three different pilots who have different abilities.
Some bosses are extremely huge but not impossible to beat Smokin'
Its an adventure/platformer and is aimed at an audience from 8 to up, I think, some of the dialogue is actually really good heh.

Ill give you more info later.

Peace
Grandtrain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the pictures except for the first one are appearing as x.
Royal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

weird they show perfectly fine for me...some ppl have problems with gamespot images though...
Retrogamer
Trailblazer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Very nice. Reply with quote

You are going to go far, that's for sure.

My unbearably dark monitor (DIE!) prevents me from seeing all the details in the painting. I'll try my best, regardless. Bear with me...

Excellent use of light, shadow and overall contrast. The light hitting the trident is the icing on the cake. The picture establishes a very moody, dark, dramatic tone... as if the world was about to end, or a foreshadow of a dark deed to come. Or maybe that's my pathetic monitor speaking...

And then, on the flip side, there are the bright and energetic screenshot dumps! Many interesting designs here... the first screenshot in particular reminds me of some Salvador Dali (sp?)-esque designs.

I'm not a fan of metallic colour schemes (Screen 2), but the graffiti is a nice touch. Reminds me of Banjo-Kazooie meets Jet Grind Radio.

My favorite screen is (hands-down) "Bowser-on-Steroids" (Screen 3). Not only is it one of the sharpest screenshots there, it also has the most personality. Great physical expression on that monstrosity's face... he just needs to drool a little.

Razz

Screen 4: Is that a turtle? That's a turtle, right? A turtle?
This is the least interesting of all five screenshots, but under no circumstance is it bad... the scenery is just a bit bland.

Screen 5: Very dramatic angle here... and that robot looks more than a little upset. I can't put my finger on what the blue surface on the right is, though... is that water?

Keep putting that imagination to good use...
Great stuff, Royal.

Ha ha ha!

p.s. Let's see an update to Memoria!

-Retrogamer

It determines who's left.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2003 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...wow. Those are absolutely amazing. I love them all!

My favorite is (no doubt) the ultra cool purple monster about to snack on the player's character...wow. That is incredibly rocking.

My only complaint is the posidion pic is a little dark, but after adjusting the brightness settings on my moniter I could see it just fine. Razz

Yeah. Sweet. To the extreme.
Komera

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once upon a time, many months ago, i tried to post a reply with my critique... but the forum was very buggy and wouldn't let me post so i saved the post in a txt file with the intention of trying again. only... my computer has had several crashes since then and i have been rather reluctant to critique one more time.

i am only critiquing the first image because quite frequently i am unimpressed by 3d computer graphics, though possible that's something to do with me having taken drafting for my four highschool years, and two of them devoted to 3d drafting.

the first thing that strikes me about the posidon picture is that there is an awful lot of space devoted to the singular massive grey cloud. we've all seen cloud cover like that, but for stand alone pictures it's generally not a good idea to devote that much area to one solid cloud... it feels like more than half the picture is just wasted space. however, if this was part of a storyboard and had indicators for a dolly out, i'd understand because at least then things would be moving.

the buildings have a rather impressionistic feel. one could almost imagine one of the masters in a parisian square wipping the buildings up in a frenzy of flying paint. however, they are rather ununiform in detail... example- the monochromatic buiding on the right side is breath taking, but the building to the right of it looks like three strokes from a watercolor brush. but on the whole, it's a very stable effect, and i not only don't mind, but almost welcome even, the uneveness of the lines making up the lit windows of the buildings on the left. and for some odd reason, i find the street lamps quite charming.

the statue... i suppose it's patina'ed, but it could just be a metal that just happens to be that color... hard to tell as patina doesn't always develop in the typical streaking water runoff. it seems to me the statue has more 'muscle' on it's right flank than on it's left... makes it look a wee bit lopsided.

the base of the fountain seems to have picked up the look of being wrapped in striped fabric... at least to me, anyway, and for the life of me i can not decide upon what you were trying to depict it as.

while most of the picture is well shaded, it's rather remarkable in it's lack of shadows... which only serves to contribute to the impressionistic feeling. however, because if it, it is almost shocking to see the shadows from the poles near the bottom of the picture... but only if the viewer is of the presence of mind to examine it as closely as i have. and i should mention that the poles' shadows don't agree with the statue on the dirrection of light, which in turn doesn't agree with the background (it seems a bit on the omni side there)... but i don't stress this point much as this picture is anything but seriously concerned with lighting dirrection.

btw, that red bit on the left buildings... what is that? just curiosity. it looks to me like an advertisement painted on the side of a building.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: