Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Custom Battle Design
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, you stole my idea! Raspberry! That is, making a non-game specific battle engine(s) with the crap commented out of it for the use of the general public. I'm half way through coding it, but its gonna need some serious cleaning up if anyone is ever going to understand it Oookay...
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with a non-game specific battle engine would be that if I did make it so others could use it in their games it wouldn't be nearly as customizable.

It would be just like me creating a new battle engine similiar to the one James made only different. By that I mean that people would not be able to do a lot of customization with it.

But if people really enjoy the battle system that will be in my game and would like me to do something like that I'm sure I could.

Just keep in mind it would not be a few codes and you would have a battle. For my game I have to manually give and check experience for levels up, change stats for levels up, animate each hero's attack and spell, and so-on.

If I did do something like it then it would be something similiar to James' battle engine only instead of drawing hero sprites, attack sprites, and other stuff you would draw walkabouts instead.

What I suppose I could do is program several special attacks (like combos, timed hits, or other interesting ways of attacking) and then the game creator could choose which type of attack he/she wanted each hero to have.

One thing I wouldn't want to do is just release my script as it is with a lot of comments. For one the script is still kind of messy and I have to clean it up, and secondly, no-one is going to want to look at 10,000+ lines of programming to make a battle. If I did make it non-game specific I would make a lot of commands you could call (like Cube's utility.lib) to make a battle.

While I'm working on my game I'll be constantly thinking of ways to do that and if my game is liked and people would like me to do that then I would be glad to. But I'm warning you, it's not going to be a walk in the park, even with the commands I'll create.

Thanks for the idea though, I'll be constantly thinking of ways to accomplish the task!

~Worthy
planethunter
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the topic of battle systems I would like to say something about what I
intend to do for my own game.

normal ohr battle engine, just used to level up and
get money/items

secondary battle engine: this is more of a mini-game engine.
it takes all the normal hero stats and uses them in a game.
For example, in a "rock smash" mini game players would be
more likely to win if they had high attack power (to throw the
rocks at there foe) but they also would need high defense
(to block in coming rocks) and of course speed ( since it's
no good how powerful the hero is, if it takes him ages to
throw a rock. he would be ko'ed before he got to attack.)

the reason why I intend for these mini game battle systems is
to get the player to use the normal engine more and become
stronger. and of course there are rewards for winning.
and with these customised mini game engines even 2 player
options are available!
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the name of your game? Also, when do you plan on releasing a demo? I would be interested in playing it and seeing what sort of ideas you had and what your mini-games were like.

~Worthy
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should email James Paige and notify him of this, so in the next update he could make a thing in special settings to decide what type of battle system you use in the game. I'm sure everyone would greatly appreciate it. Your ideas are very inspirational to use for my Star Wars RPG which will start in September.
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to hear that you found inspiration in the idea, but I'm not sure if I should notify James about it. Odds are he will find out eventually (if he hasn't already).

Another post recommended that I made it non-game specific, meaning I would post the battle engine script, allowing people to simply copy & paste to make the battle engine.

The whole purpose of this new battle design is to allow me to customize the attacks and spells (meaning I can make combos and longer spells(good for summons or something similiar), etc...).

So when and if I do release the script(which I am really considering) it will be more than simply choosing which engine to use. There will be some programming on the part of each individual OHR user in order to get the system working for them, just not near as much as they would without the script.

I would greatly appreciate some other opinions about the topic. I don't want to make a battle design that no one will use.

Thanks for your encouragement, the more people I hear from the more I consider making an extensive battle design.

~Worthy

(Just a little note on what's coming up: I plan on releasing a DEMO for the game within a week(provided ther are no more national blackouts No, no, no... )which will include soley the battle system. I hope several people will test it and report any bugs or suggestions.)
Gnome
Trix Bunny Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the battle system be a tactics engine or one of those go up shoot while the enemy shoots at you until one of you dies?

I would prefer the second of the two. Oookay...

My website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm...I think the second one. When you say "go up shoot" I'm not quite sure what you mean.

It's the same type as the built in OHR battle engine in the sense that the heroes go, then the enemies go, until one party dies. For each character you can choose "attack" "magic" "defend" and "item" during their turn.

I hope that answers your question, if not you can let me know or just wait until the DEMO comes out. But it will not be like FF Tactics

~Worthy
Gnome
Trix Bunny Rabbit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops, didn't see that grammar error...thing. "Go up and shoot" is what I ment. That answers my question but I was hoping the engine was going to more along the lines of "Blasto" sorta game. But I know that only 1% of the people here have played that game (it's for PS1). Many other games I've played outside of OHR have the kinda battle engine I was thiking of, but Blasto was the first one that came to mind. Really confused

My website
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm part of the 99% who hasn't played the game. Sorry, but it won't be that type of battle sytem Sad... ...

~Worthy
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm.... well, I'll continue to work on my battle engines...I think it might be possible to make one which is asimiliar to normal play in games like Secret of Mana making only small adjustments..
planethunter
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well it's nice to see somebody likes my ideas! Happy

The game is called Biobots, it's on the list but it's barely an alpha release,
just some graphics and a menu!

I'm slaving through this project by myself, Setu works on the well suited
music now and then. But for the moment it seems I have to go it alone...

I can plotscript pretty well, since I have implemented such things as time
of day, and a full 365 day calender, with some weather effects.

For those of you who are interested, here is an overview of the game:
You collect, train, upgrade, fix and battle robots. You can enter contests
of various sorts (those battle mini games i was talking about), which gets
you cash in order to buy better parts etc. But it doesn't stop there!
I intend for bots to be traded by nearly any medium, even sms text messages! The calender feature is there to help the player plan for
contests. Who knows, maybe even a two player battle feature...
*Worthy*
Critical Thinker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to playing it!

~Worthy
planethunter
Lost In Emotion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i look forward to making it... whenever I get the time.
icis

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:15 pm    Post subject: Wow, amazing Reply with quote

The custom battle design idea is a great one. I'm really excited to see this come out. That's going to be a heck of a lot of plotscripting, but keep it up, looks like I'm not the only one who can't wait to see this.
~Icis
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: