Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Aaaah! Monsters!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MKnightDH
Savvy Mage Knight

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject: Aaaah! Monsters! Reply with quote

This topic is about a couple of ideas involving monsters. Of course, both may easily eat up memory fast if implemented, but I'm just throwing in my two cents.

1) Monster levels, like in Seiken Densetsu 3. This allows monster recycling while retaining the challenge of the monster in question, though some may want to avoid this. Still, it would be nice to see those wimpy monsters you saw at the beginning of the game fight you again in the later dungeons and put up a sufficient fight, probably with more skills. It's not difficult to have fixed global growths: I believe Hide 'n' Seek Battle Monster Tactics (an obscure Japan-only game you may know as "Monster Tactics" for the Game Boy Color) uses such a method to handle its 125 varieties.

2) Monsters as allies. This one I like seeing. I think it's rather nice to have monsters beat up baddies for your cause, and even better when you're still doing enough of the dirty work yourself. Plus I find it a bit amusing when the main bad guy gets "ultimate power" only to be beaten badly one-on-one by the equivalent of a measly Goomba or Slime. But again, this may eat up memory, at least to prevent any recruiting of monsters that would become broken on your side.

Addendum past posting: I also like to see monster allies as a way to increase variety in parties like it kind of does in Paper Mario (actually, there, the monster partners are particular characters, but Paper Mario is part of the inspiration of my bringing this up), instead of using the standard fighter-fighter-healer-mage combo (or whatever it is), so it may be best for party customization. Moogle1 did point something out in one of his articles: having many characters available should be handled with care.

So any comments?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to keep in mind that Castle Paradox is more strictly OHRRPGCE oriented, while this topic seems like it's asking general game programming questions.

1) I'm pretty sure this is possible in the OHR. There's a plotscripting command that allows you to alter the stats of enemies. The only problem is that these stat changes aren't stored in save games, so you'll have to re-use the command every time you load a save file.

2) Memory or file storage shouldn't be a concern, just the OHR's limitations. Right now the best way to do what you're looking for is to treat enemies you ally as the same as the main hero in function. You can probably use tag changes to perform the capturing of an enemy, then use plotscripting to add that enemy to your party in hero form (again, you'll have to make the enemy hero from scratch, with its own stat growth and graphics).

There are many a lot more plotscripting savvy than I am.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are both very possible and interesting ideas, too. I can't help but be reminded of Pokemon, though.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How finely grained do you want your monster levelling to be? The first thing I thought of was having, say, five different entries for every monster, corresponding to higher levers. So you could have Slime as one enemy, and then have another enemy also called Slime, but with increased stats, and so on. This would make the plotscripting much easier, but would be a pain if you want very gradual monster development.

On the other hand, if you decide to use stat-altering scripts instead, there are some things to consider. How often to monsters increase in level? Do you go by time played, or hero levels, or planned events? How do you keep track of the fact that a Blue Slime met in the Dark World should be at level 54, but a Gorgon of Doom met there should only be at about level 5 or so?

EDIT: I didn't mean to hit submit just then.

I'm not saying that any of this is impossible, or even particularly difficult scripting-wise, I'm just saying that it will require some thought on the overall system before deciding what the best way to script it is.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
AcenMasterX
Player of Games and Reader of Manga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
These are both very possible and interesting ideas, too. I can't help but be reminded of Pokemon, though.

When will you people finally realize that monster-raising is a genre now?
(Monster Rancher, Azure Dream, Dragon Quest Monsters, Spectrobes, etc.)

-AcenMasterX
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When will you people realize that I didn't say anything to the contrary, and that what little was said was said over a year ago?
Player of Games and Reader of Manga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point. Sorry.

It's just that Pokemon is a sore spot for me. I think it's bringing the genre down, just because of its explosive popularity.

I apologize, I spoke out of turn.

-AcenMasterX
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to disagree. The reason pokemon is overshadowing everything else is because it's doing it right. The games are in general, very good. That's not to say that other games in the genre aren't, because they are, I've played quite a few. If a game is good, it will get acclaim, regardless of what else is on the market.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

although, Pokemon is probably the only game in the genre which has been continuously successful and is certainly the most successful in its genre, and this is certainly due largely to its inherent popularity.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Mystic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabbercat wrote:
If a game is good, it will get acclaim, regardless of what else is on the market.

when does this happen? honestly i haven't seen this happen in forever. good games pass under the radar in most genres (rpgs of all types being one of them.)
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon got acclaim because of marketing and the anime.

Pokemon is still popular because they are excellent games.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystic wrote:
jabbercat wrote:
If a game is good, it will get acclaim, regardless of what else is on the market.

when does this happen? honestly i haven't seen this happen in forever. good games pass under the radar in most genres (rpgs of all types being one of them.)

Regardless, this is still true.
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
You can probably use tag changes to perform the capturing of an enemy, then use plotscripting to add that enemy to your party in hero form.

I used the steal function and made monsters join the party when their items are used out of battle. That was before tag switches were doable in battle, and seems a much more direct approach in my opinion. Item drops are also a viable option.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: