Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The "Finish Your Dang Game" Contest!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: The "Finish Your Dang Game" Contest! Reply with quote

EDIT: The contest is over! Check this thread for results.

I am proud to announce the commencement of the "Finish Your Dang Game" contest.

=GOAL=

The goal of the contest is to take an unfinished game or demo that you have previously started and finish it as a complete game.

=RULES=

The contest runs roughly 2 months. The deadline is September 1st

Any game that you have already started is eligible for entry. (It does not need to be an OHRRPGCE game)

Although the focus of this contest is on finishing games that you have already started, contestants are also welcome to submit new games that have not previously been released-- although new games will not be eligible for "Most Improved" voting.

=ENTERING=

To enter the contest, just post the name of the game you are going to try and complete in this thread. There is no penalty for late entry (other than that you get a little less time to work on your game)

When your game is complete (or when the Sept 1st deadline comes) post a link to it in this thread. I will add all the links to this first post. There is no penalty for early submissions.

The penalty for late submissions after the Sept 1st deadline is 4% per day.

For the judges convenience, it is a good idea to *also* post a link to the old pre-contest version of your game, so judges can easily compare for "Most Improved" voting. Contestants who are not competing for "Most Improved" don't have to bother with this.

Note also that some games have existed for years but have never been released. It is up to you whether or not you want to release an unfinished version of the game now to make yourself eligible for "Most Improved" voting.

If you just want to submit screenshots of your old game instead of a download link for "Most Improved" voting, that is okay, but it is up to the judges how they will score such games.

=VOTING=

EDIT: voting has started, see this thread

After the contest ends there will be a 1 month judging period ending on September 30th. (NOTE: Due to the large number of submissions, this voting period might need to be extended slightly)

Voting will be done in three parts. First, each voter will vote for each game by secret ballot (e-mail or PM to me, James) in the following two categories:

(1) Overall quality from zero stars (low) to 5 stars (high)

(2) Level of improvement from contest start to contest end. from zero starts to 5 stars.

Finally, each voter will publicly vote at the completeness of each game in a public thread.

(3) Complete? Yes/No. Completeness is defined as being a whole game that can be reasonably called finished. Complete does not have to mean perfect. It does not have to mean zero bugs. It just means "not incomplete anymore"

=PRIZES=

Prizes will be awarded in all three categories.

(1) Best game wins $25
(2) Most Improved wins $25
(if the same game wins both, the author gets $50)
(3) Every game that is publicly agreed to be "Complete" by the contest deadline wins $5 from James and a copy of "Immortal Defense" from Rinku

NOTE: A single author may choose to enter more than one game. Multiple entires are eligible for "best" and "most improved", but only a maximum of a single completeness prize will be awarded to each author.

NOTE: Multi-author teams working on a single game will have to figure out how to divide their prize among themselves.

NOTE: I will be supplying the cash prizes. If anyone wants to richen the pot by volunteering additional money or other prizes for any of the three prize categories, just say so. (Thanks to Rinku for volunteering copies of Immortal Defense)

=ENTERING=

To enter the contest, just post the name of the game you are going to try to complete. You might also want to post a link to any thread or development journal, if you plan on discussing your work publicly as you go.

=CONTESTANTS=

This is the list of contestants so far. If you want to see your name on this list, just post the name of the game you are entering.

* James Paige - Wandering Hamster
* Mogri - Phantom Tactics
* FnrrfYgmSchnish - Okédoké
* Surlaw - Village People: The Video Game
* RedMaverickZero - Halloween Quest 3
* RedMaverickZero - OHR House Heroes
* RedMaverickZero - Mr.Triangle's Maze
* Pepsi Ranger - Entrepreneur: The Beginning (and At the Risk of Manipulation ?)
* Fenrir-Lunaris - Vikings of Midgard (right?)
* binoal - resident evil rpg
* Rurouni Catholic - Maces Wild
* New-Gen - STRANDED
* Onlyoneinall - Bloodlust
* Obright - Local Gods
* Meatballsub - Wendel's Quest for the Sacred Stones
* Jack - Heroes and Monsters
* spoonweaver - Slimes
* spoonweaver - House Escape
* Momoka - The Wizard, the Thief, and the Lich (working title)
* Machu - Modern Magic
* Gilbert Smith - Bandit Revolver
* djfenix - Endless Saga
* Bezzy - DammitimmaD
* Blue Train - Dawn
* Minnek & Leroy - Not a Drop
* nihilocrat - vaquum
* Joe Man - Joe Man
* JSH357 - The Forbidden Forlum
* beau_rl - test of normality
* Ysoft - Kana Learning

Download links are listed in the voting thread
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My entry shall be Wandering Hamster!

Wandering Hamster development wiki page
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:

All right, let's hear it for James!

As for me, this is a pretty sweet idea. I've got several old Game Maker projects I could wrap up at long last.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: The "Finish Your Dang Game" Contest! Reply with quote

Hang on! What about unreleased games? I have a couple which I would love to finish. Would I have to release a demo now to qualify? The demo would not be playable, or show much of anything at all. I guess that would only help win 'most improved' :P

James Paige wrote:

SHOCK

James Paige wrote:
(1) Best game wins $25
(2) Most Improved wins $25
(if the same game wins both, the author gets $50)

I see what's going on here!
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demo question also effects me. Does it need to be a released game? If we release a demo now, does that count? ( cause it would make the most improved section kind of a joke ) If you don't have a demo are you disqualified from the most improved?
The answer to these questions and more will help me decide my entry game.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From SS:
Quote:
I would suggest that if you want to enter a game that hasn't be released yet, you have a choice of:

(1) Release a demo immediately, finish it for the contest

(2) Don't release a demo. You can still compete in category 1 and 3, but not category 2 "Most Improved"

Either way you prefer is okay with me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am entering resident evil rpg! i have been meaning to get it done anyways! the link should be in my signature

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=963

Legend Of Zelda: Reptilian Warlord Demo

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=961
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would I be able to enter Bloodlust for this? I mean... I'm going to be uploading a slightly improved version, but the quality of the update won't be as high as if it's compared to my release before its completion (0.64 vs 1.00). Otherwise it'd be like, punishing me for releasing the game a few weeks earlier.

NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a complete re-release of a game be counted as completing it, provided that it gets finished?
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I think I'll skip the demos amd Most Improved category: I don't really want to release an incomplete mess AND spoil the surprise. (Not that's it's meant to be one, but... two years without a screenshot or description? Mystery!)

If people are going to judge improvements, it would be helpful to have a version as of the start of the contest available, come voting time.

NeoSpade wrote:
Would a complete re-release of a game be counted as completing it, provided that it gets finished?

A re-release of an already 'complete' game?
NeoSpade
Of course!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
NeoSpade wrote:

A re-release of an already 'complete' game?

Sorry, that was poorly worded, I mean if I make a new .RPG file and make a better, but from scratch game thats ideally the same game as the other, but better :p
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall: I though Bloodlust was already complete? But if you still have anything more that you want to do to it, then certainly, you may enter it into this contest.

NeoSpade: I think starting over in a new RPG file would still count, if you feel that is the best way to update your game.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James Paige wrote:
Onlyoneinall: I though Bloodlust was already complete? But if you still have anything more that you want to do to it, then certainly, you may enter it into this contest.

NeoSpade: I think starting over in a new RPG file would still count, if you feel that is the best way to update your game.

Well, the 64% version was released around January of 2008, and the 100% version, mid-June 2009. I was wondering if I could enter it with the 64% being the version to compare, since the game was released not too long before the contest.

Last edited by Onlyoneinall on Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:

Well, the 64% version was released around January of 2008, and the 100% version, mid-June 2008. I was wondering if I could enter it with the 64% being the version to compare, since the game was released not too long before the contest.

Oh, I see.

Hmmm... So we would pretend that the 100% version was actually a "Finish Your Dang Game" entry that happened to be finished two and a half months early?

I am inclined to say yes to this.... I know it is stretching the rules a lot, but this contest is more about finishing games and less about rules, so I think allowing Bloodlust to be included would be in keeping with the theme.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Happy

Well, I'll be releasing an updated version in any case, and that could be the version used for the contest entry, so it isn't exactly two and a half months early. Raspberry!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: