Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Question involving NPCS for use as enemys
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lost.pebble
There must be some kinda way outta here!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a load Moogle and TMC! This opens up a lot of things for me, and has expanded my vision on what is possible.

New-Gen, This helps us a lot. We'll have the battle and corpse script done in no time! I'll mess around a bit and send you an example soon. This method just seems to be better than anything else I can think of.

And I think using the NPC Extra method, we should be able to check for Cannibalism feat and allow the player to eat it after searching, or otherwise leave the corpse behind.

Quote:
Notice that changing NPC ID, setting NPC extra, and any other changes to NPCs will by default be reset if you leave and reenter. (Tags of course don't reset)

Now here is a bit of a problem... We obviously don't want eaten bodies to reappear or searched bodies to reset. How would we achieve this without having to have a separate tag for each and every NPC we encounter and kill?
msw188

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that last bit was what I was getting at when I mentioned needing separate IDs for every instance of an NPC on the map. But there is an option now for maps to 'remember' their condition when you leave them and return to them. It's in the map editor somewhere. I've never messed with it, so I'm not sure what it remembers or not, but it might just be your ticket.

This is assuming that NPC extra data is considered on a copy-by-copy basis, and not on an ID-by-ID basis. If changing the NPC extra data for one copy of NPC 5 changes it for all copies of NPC 5, you will still need separate IDs (or separate 'somethings', whether tags or global variables or whatevers) for every single searchable corpse.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lost.pebble wrote:
Cannibalism feat

This is not as much of a feat as you're suggesting here
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrote:
Now here is a bit of a problem... We obviously don't want eaten bodies to reappear or searched bodies to reset. How would we achieve this without having to have a separate tag for each and every NPC we encounter and kill?

I thought you said that you wanted enemies to respawn when you entered the map? NPCs will be reset with their original IDs, so there will be no corpses when you reenter.

msw188 wrote:
Yeah, that last bit was what I was getting at when I mentioned needing separate IDs for every instance of an NPC on the map. But there is an option now for maps to 'remember' their condition when you leave them and return to them. It's in the map editor somewhere. I've never messed with it, so I'm not sure what it remembers or not, but it might just be your ticket.

This is assuming that NPC extra data is considered on a copy-by-copy basis, and not on an ID-by-ID basis. If changing the NPC extra data for one copy of NPC 5 changes it for all copies of NPC 5, you will still need separate IDs (or separate 'somethings', whether tags or global variables or whatevers) for every single searchable corpse.

The map state remembering options are at the bottom of the Map General Data menu. NPC Data is everything about the NPC instances on the map and any changes to the NPC type (ID) data, Tile Data is the state of the 3 maptile layers and wallmap.

NPC extra data is per NPC instance.
lost.pebble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought you said that you wanted enemies to respawn when you entered the map? NPCs will be reset with their original IDs, so there will be no corpses when you reenter.

Oh wait! Yeah, you are right. Raspberry! I forgot that New-Gen said he wanted it to be like that. So I guess we have no problem then.

And if we want to make it so with certain "special" enemies, then it wouldn't hurt to make a tag - as there wouldn't be too many of them.

Thanks guys, this has been really helpful.
New-Gen
Living in Obscurity...

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle wrote:
Quote:
This is not as much of a feat as you're suggesting here

The skills that a player can aquire aren't really feats...well some of them are as some of them give the player attacks in battle but the larger number of them are more like a bonus for the player...

If you think about how they did it in 'FallOut 3', for example their 'Cannibal' bonus, which allowed the player to eat the dead corpse and gain health but then also add negative points to carma. You can see the picture...

But thats a conversation for another Forum...
msw188

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Moogle1's post was kind of a joke.

And with NPC extra data going by NPC instance, it sounds like you guys are all set. Any thoughts on a demo release?

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msw188 wrote:
I think Moogle1's post was kind of a joke.

You must have taken Detect Sarcasm.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You must have taken Detect Sarcasm.

That sounds more like a spell then a feat.

Quote:

And with NPC extra data going by NPC instance, it sounds like you guys are all set. Any thoughts on a demo release?

...or maybe even screenshots?
lost.pebble

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...or maybe even screenshots?

New-Gen is our graphics expert, and he's pretty darn good at it - not trying to be pretentious or anything, he just really is - and along with that he is quite protective about it, not wanting to release too much before a decent demo is in order. But seriously, from what I've seen of what he has done - you guys want to wait for it! Happy

Perhaps I could persuade him to give out a screeny or two, just to give you guys a taste, but it could be difficult. Raspberry!

The game right now is in the early stages as far as the gameplay and implemented story goes (although we have many ideas documented and the story is pretty much finalised with tweaks coming every now and then), but the graphics are piling up and it's for this reason we ask such questions as these (NPC bodies and such) - we want to get working on all the nitty gritty stuff and begin bringing the game to life.

You can expect to see us asking a lot more in the near future Wink We really appreciate the helpfulness of this community.
New-Gen
Living in Obscurity...

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put it into perspective...every map that I have created so far uses up three maptile sets and I think I still need more! Its awesome that now we can make more intricate maps but its still not enough...

i'd like to show some images but its tough cause I keep on going back and changing them cause they don't look good or they don't fit. the colors wrong, the flow of the area is distracting, etc...

But wait and see...
Mariel

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a WHOOOOOLE lotta maptiles; you should be able to economize that a bit, don't you think? Why not post some screen shots so we can see what you're up to, and maybe screen shots of the tile sets too? I'm sure it can be cut down, giving you more space for new tiles.
New-Gen
Living in Obscurity...

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are screenshots of some of my maps on Slimesalad so go check it out there.

The reason I guess why the maps uses up three maptiles is because I'm trying to make everything to size of what it would be like in real life and mostly its just the breaking up norm so that it makes the maps more natural.

But this is a talk for another forum.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save you the trouble, he's referring to this thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum