Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Help with the Random command

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Help with the Random command Reply with quote

Oh man it has been so long since I've done this, I've gotten rusty as hell.
I want to make a script that calls a few different items randomly, is there an easy way to do this, or will I just have to make if statements for each item to make sure it isn't accessed twice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the item numbers in succession to each other?

Try:

Code:
set variable (compare1,inventory (item first))
set variable (compare2,inventory (item second))
set variable (compare3,inventory (item third))
set variable (compare4,inventory (item fourth))
set variable (compare5,inventory (item last))

#this checks how many of each item you already have.

for (amount,1,5) do(
get item (random (first item,last item))

#this pulls an item from your range of options 5 times.

if ((inventory (item first)--compare1)>=2) then(
delete item (item first)
)
if ((inventory (item second)--compare2)>=2) then(
delete item (item second)
)
if ((inventory (item third)--compare3)>=2) then(
delete item (item third)
)
if ((inventory (item fourth)--compare4)>=2) then(
delete item (item fourth)
)
if ((inventory (item last)--compare5)>=2) then(
delete item (item last)
)

#these make sure you don't gain more than one item of each.

)

#this closes the for / do block.

It's probably sketchy, but should serve as a launching point for jogging your memory.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncommon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should've been clearer. I didn't mean items as in inventory items so much as like "items on an agenda". In this case they're actually scripts I want to run in a random order.
Isn't there being a way to refer to a global variable by its ID number? If so I guess I could do something like:
Code:
variable (this)
this := random (first global ID, last global ID)
if (this==true)
 then,begin
  while (this==true)
   do (this := random (first global ID, last global ID))
 end
 else (do whatever)

Though the problem there is I'd still have to check the value of "this" to know which script to run since you can't run a script from its id number...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'plot:Read global' and 'plot:Write global'
Quote:
Though the problem there is I'd still have to check the value of "this" to know which script to run since you can't run a script from its id number...

I see you have never heard of 'plot:Run script by ID'. But that doesn't really make your script any simpler, unless your scripts all have consecutive ID numbers.

Here's one possibility. It does nothing if all scripts have already been called.

Code:
variable (this)
for (this, first global ID, last global ID) do, begin
  if (read global (this) == false) then, begin
    # there's at least one script that hasn't been called yet

while (read global(this))

write global (this, true)
    switch (this -- first global ID) do, begin
      case (0) do (script 1(...))
      case (1) do (script 2(...))
    end
    exit script
  end
end
#no scripts haven't been called yet. Do something special

Uncommon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
Quote:

I see you have never heard of 'plot:Run script by ID'. But that doesn't really make your script any simpler, unless your scripts all have consecutive ID numbers.

Run script by ID? We have those now? Why, back in my day mutter mutter mutter.
But giving the scripts consecutive ID numbers really isn't much of a problem, I guess I'd just have to use "define script" now. In the current syntax it doesn't look like there's any other way. Might be even easier if I make sure the globals and the accompanying scripts have the same ID.
And we have switch/cases now? Cool!

Thanks for your help, it's been about two years since I've touched the engine, and I dunno how long it was before that.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use the syntax @scriptname to refer to the script's id number, but define script will probably be easier for your purposes.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at this script TMC wrote, a few things stand out. One, the whole switch/case isn't necessary if I'm doing the define script/run script by id, since the whole idea there was to make the scripts have the same id as the global associated with them, so something as simple as this should work, right?
Code:
run script by id (this)

A few other things I've gotta wonder, will using the variable "this" inside the script and as the for loop's counter as you did mess with the loop at all? It really seems like it should, but I guess you'd know better than me.
Also, why the exit script? Isn't that going to break the loop, too?

Also, would setting the variable to true disrupt the flow control? I was gonna put it toward the end of the accompanying script.

EDIT: Alright, both scripts work fine without the questionable bits, though both also hang if all scripts have been called, I guess something needs to be in the while loop to check if all the globals are true.
Do I have a misconception about this here, or shouldn't the for loop make it so it runs through all ten scripts before quitting? Because it's only running through one and ending. This is easy to fix, I'm just making sure that's what it should be doing.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with the "for" loop is that the loop variable is being changed inside of the loop. If you use one variable for the for loop and another variable for "this," you should be okay.

PS. Using "this" as a variable name is a surefire way to confuse anyone with a background in C++, Java, Javascript, or any other OO language. Shame on you, TMC.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd tried it first with a rewrite of my own that used a different variable for the for loop before trying his and got the same behavior out of both. I figure even if the variable was changed, it should've run at least twice if the first script called wasn't the highest numbered one, but each time it ran only once.
I'm thinking about faking the "for" loop with a "while", so I know it'll end on time.

Also "this" was mine in the little mockup I did towards the top, so it's not TMC's fault. I don't have a background in C++, Java, Javascript, or any other OO language, so I wouldn't know any better (and i tend to name variables like that sometimes).

EDIT: Dammit, now it's just freezing at the end of the each called script. >:(
I don't even know what's the deal anymore.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you weren't very specific, so I assumed that you wanted a single script to be called every time (such as an NPC doing a different thing every time you talk to it) but you seem to be implying that you want all the scripts to be run consecutively, in a random order?

That's what the exit script was for. As for reusing the same variable - my bad, but it wouldn't have made a difference anyway because of the exit script.

Code:
variable (i, this)
for (i, first global ID, last global ID) do (   # loop correct number of times
  run script by id (this)
)

Uncommon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got it taken care of. Thanks for the refresher on read/write global and letting me know about run script by id, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum