Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The Maiden Has Fallen
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: The Maiden Has Fallen Reply with quote

At long last, after many years, the Unknown Woman returns.

And you can relive her updated adventure here:

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=210

Includes way too many features to list (and counting). But I can best describe it as a traditional game with untraditional methods of execution.

In other words, I made things way too hard on myself, but a lot more fun for you.

What can you expect by downloading this game?

Fame. Fortune. Prestige...

And when you finally wake up from your dream, you can expect to play an adventure/RPG hybrid with a cinematic overtone.

Well, that's actually all I'm gonna say for now since I'm running into my eighteenth hour of working on this thing today.

But feel free to discuss.

Since this is the first official version and will undoubtedly yield a second version in the coming months, please mention any bugs you find. I don't know if I got them all.

Other than that, let me know what you think.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit Pepsi.

This was actually the first tiem I ever played tightfloss.

This is pretty epic. Serves as an example of what we can do with the engine. The level of deltail is astounding.

I'd write mroe but it's 4:31 AM.

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means feedback is nice. The update is still in the shaping process, so this is a great time to start sounding off ideas, wish lists, and whatever you can think of to make it better.

To begin, I'll show you the future of its graphic design. This is what the game will look like once time is no longer a factor:

Or, at least, an early prototype. There may be some variations in tiles as I start examining how much room I have to work with, but we'll see as time rolls on.

Other things will be implemented soon like the "Item Cooking" system, where the player makes his own restoration and battle items, and the journal. Portraits will follow, as will last minute graphical fixes. And, of course, the end chapter scoring system will be updated to include all the things I added since the 2001 demo. I'd also like to improve some of the fighting skills so that battles, while still mostly unnecessary, can still be enjoyable.

But again, this is open season. If there's something you think it needs that it doesn't have, let me know.

Comments are still welcome.

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The story was exciting enough

But as a wish list I'd simply say

The labyrinth is too hard.
At first I was like okay...this is hard...oh I've already seen this palce before....maybe I should visit this dungeon again....I could use some health....I would like maybe a clue or two....OH A TEXTBOX have I come to civilizatin becaus eof this huge statue over the cave? No it's just some water....GODAMNIT IM GOING NUTS...

It went from hard to true agony after an hour or two. Maybe some clues or soemthign would've helped. But it most. def. added playtime to the game.

The desert is too easy.
All you do is go south. If you have half a brain you can store up extra water. All you have to do is go south. Not really a sense of adventure.

-squall
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should probably release a walkthrough or something. Maybe with the update.

The labyrinth is actually easier than you think, but it seems it's frustrated a lot of people already, so I'll give away its strategy.

One thing I'm pretty sure I mentioned in the instructions (and somewhat in-game) is that you use accessories (in the equipment menu) to make getting through levels easier. I have a feeling this has become a major oversight, so I'll make it blunt here: You can mark your trail with the lipstick so you don't have to question whether you're backtracking or not. Just walk up to a cactus and hit "Enter" to mark it. Just make sure you're equipped with the lipstick. Marks are permanent, so you never have to worry about getting lost.

You'll find that as long as you discover new corridors with unmarked cacti, you'll always be going in the right direction.

Tightfloss Maiden

Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten through the canyon maze yet (but I did explore most of it, not knowing about the lipstick until now), but I really adore how you take a rat maze and give the means to explore it intelligently. Really adds depth, and I applaud this game design, seriously.

I still don't understand how it's possible to dehydrate. I haven't really seen any signs of it happening yet.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same. The hints were subtle enough that I didn't know they werre hints.

When she says to use her items to survive I took it at face value a.k.a just equipped what gave the best stats.

-squall
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
When she says to use her items to survive I took it at face value a.k.a just equipped what gave the best stats.

Yeah, not this game. I'll make it clearer to equip the accessories in the instructions. But as a general rule, stats are not my strength, so I play up on presentation to make up for it. Think of it as you would a point-and-click adventure without the pointing and clicking.

I doubt there's any confusion left, but just to recap, here are the items that are equippable:

Lipstick (navigation)
Handbag (water storage)
Grappling Hook (climbing)
Crowbar (unlocking)

Also, if you are looking for a challenge and want to find everything, here's the list of items you might've missed. Some of these are hidden, so it may take some exploration. Some are not, but you might be so tired of searching that you let them go.

Here's the checklist (slight spoiler):

Equipment (non-accessory):
Bandana (head)
Ring (arms)
Body Towel (body)
Chain Poncho (body)

Equipment (weapon):
Fist (default)
Cactus Arm
Knife

Loot Items:
Grub Hyde (trading)
Grub Slime (slight healing)
Spider Legs (trading)
Spider Silk (trading)
Cactus Juice (slight energy)
Cactus Bud (trading)
Snakeskin (trading)
Snake Venom (trading)
Scorpion Tail (poison)
Scorpion Venom (trading)

Note: Some of these items will be combinable to make new items in the next version.

Chest Items:
Snakeskin (trading item)
Fur Pelt (trading item)
Precious Water (health increase)
Energy Boost (dehydration protection)
Glass Bottle (not yet functional)
Journal (not yet functional)

Other Items:
Note (message)
Knife (attack item)
Water (restores energy completely)
Plant (message)
Dynamite (key; future attack item)
Cloth (message)
Metal Trap (teaches "Trap" skill)

Finding everything will almost certainly guarantee you a high score at the end of the game.

Hopefully this gives you an idea what all you didn't see when you finished the game.

Quote:
I haven't gotten through the canyon maze yet (but I did explore most of it, not knowing about the lipstick until now), but I really adore how you take a rat maze and give the means to explore it intelligently. Really adds depth, and I applaud this game design, seriously.

Thanks.

Just to let you know, I will be adding more landmarks to the next version. If anyone here has played RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Soaked, you might know about the stamp machines where visitors can claim free or discounted items if they get stamps at all the terminals. I'll be doing something similar in Anthill Canyon where the player's score will be affected based on how many landmarks he "discovers." I think this will make the canyon more fun (as will any future labyrinths I may be cruel enough to design).

Quote:
I still don't understand how it's possible to dehydrate. I haven't really seen any signs of it happening yet.

It doesn't happen in the canyon. Right now it only happens in Scorched Valley. Storywise, the canyon adventure takes place early in the day while the valley takes place at high noon. Gameplay-wise, I thought the canyon would become toxic if I forced dehydration there, too. However, be aware that it's not compassion that encouraged this decision. It's because it's the first level of the game. I probably won't be so nice in the Chapter 3 levels, just to let you know.

Quote:
The desert is too easy.
All you do is go south. If you have half a brain you can store up extra water. All you have to do is go south. Not really a sense of adventure.

This is still early in the game. Later levels won't be so forgiving.

Well, I appreciate the comments. Be sure you guys check out the next update, which I hope will be ready in the coming weeks.

If you need hints on finding the elusive items, let me know. I planned on making Chapter 1 fully accessible at some point anyway, so I don't mind sharing the secrets if you want to know them. This is, after all, the "tutorial" stage.

Tightfloss Maiden

The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of things I noticed while playing...

The snakes have an attack that damages their allies.

After getting the journal, the ladder out of there doesn't work any more. Might be just me though.
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The snakes have an attack that damages their allies.

While I'm not claiming it to be a wise design decision, it is still in fact intentional. The scorpions do something similar with their sting attack.

Actually, the real intention was for snakes to attack anyone but themselves, but I don't think there's an attack bitset for that (at least not to my knowledge).

Quote:
After getting the journal, the ladder out of there doesn't work any more. Might be just me though.

Unfortunately, it's not just you. Double-unfortunately, it happens at random. I thought I fixed it, but it seems I haven't. Not sure what's causing it, to be honest. I think it has something to do with that hill (that thing's caused more problems...), but I went to great pains to eliminate the player's ability to screw things up, so now I'm stumped.

I put a safeguard on the flat tiles at the top and foot of the hill to prevent mis-alignment. Stepping onto either of them for a tick might solve the problem.

Though, if you can activate the jumping platform, then you shouldn't even have a problem with the ladder...

Jeez, I really don't know what's causing it.

Tightfloss Maiden

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepsi Ranger wrote:
Actually, the real intention was for snakes to attack anyone but themselves, but I don't think there's an attack bitset for that (at least not to my knowledge).

Could just give them four regular attacks and one attack that targets "Ally Not Self."
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I finally made some time to look at this thoroughly today. It turns out the NPC governing the ladder was getting deleted with the treasure containing the journal. There's no explanation for it, as my script never called for that, but the original ladder NPC had an identity of 0, so it might be worth looking into for any bug-squashers wanting a project (unless my scripting is so messy that I really was deleting two NPCs at once). Anyway, I gave the ladder a new NPC, so it works fine now. You can get the journal without fear of getting stuck. You still can't actually use it yet--I haven't gotten that far in the updates--but you can at least get out of the room if you decide to go back for it.

I also fixed the broken wall in the Wingamabob Chamber (which was too dark for me to see originally) and fixed a problem with random encounters not triggering in the Trans-Canyon Passage or the Scorched Valley (which I don't know if the last update actually had and was just something I broke after the fact--either way, they're triggering now).

The graphical updates and the advanced gameplay features are coming soon. I just wanted to get these emergency fixes online before Gameathon judging began.

And please add Tightfloss Maiden to the Gameathon list. Thanks.

Tightfloss Maiden

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I knew I'd probably missed a CP-exclusive rerelease. It's unfortunate that there's no way to view any more than the five most recently updated games (hint hint).
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Pepsi, your very large zip file does not include the DLLs or the license file. The former are required to run the standalone exe and the latter is required to distribute the exe legally.

Neither is obviously a problem for those of us who already have our own copies, but including them is a good idea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: