Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

all suggestions welcome
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucier
that one girl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: all suggestions welcome Reply with quote

i'm trying to create a large forest (4 to 5 full screen maps) of trees, streams, rock walls and all that good stuff and i am trying to make it look as realistic as possible. what i have so far is the tree above, which isn't even near being done. but that tree alone has taken me several hours, so i am looking for a possible easier way about this. is there maybe a paint program i can use to get the bones of the forest drawn? or maybe some sort of textures i can apply to the trees rather than having to go into the editor and dither in all the textures? all i have right now is custom.exe and mspaint, so my computer is essentially a blank slate ready for everyone's suggestions. i appreciate any help you guys can offer me!
ringthehat
custom title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can try using GIMP. Its like paint, only much better. You can probably find pictures online of stuff like trees, cut and past those into a picture, and play around with the coloring and resolution, or just use the actual tree as a 'skeleton' and paint your own tree, stream, etc overtop.

(this is the GIMP I'm talking about: http://www.gimp.org/ , googling "gimp"could also give you other, interesting, results, many of which would probably not be the free image manipulation program mentioned in this post)
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above gimpy suggestion.
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a better suggestion, but I have to say that that's a really nice tree trunk.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just don't see how you're going to fit all the different kinds of things you want on a tile set. just the tree looks like it takes up about half the tile set.
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i just don't see how you're going to fit all the different kinds of things you want on a tile set. just the tree looks like it takes up about half the tile set.

I'm unsure of this too. When you say full screen maps do you mean 32x20 tiles?

Quote:
Because each map can support 3 layers and each layer can have its own tilemap, you can essentially link 3 full-screens together in a single map!

As long as one third of those tiles are overhead tiles...
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drizzle wrote:
Quote:
Because each map can support 3 layers and each layer can have its own tilemap, you can essentially link 3 full-screens together in a single map!

As long as one third of those tiles are overhead tiles...

Oh, that's right.
But I can't imagine it would be too difficult to work with in a forest map.
Lucier
that one girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nah, the tree is actually only about 1/5th of the screen so i still have lots of tiles to work with in that tileset.

as far as being able to have 3 layers per map goes, i am still considering maybe combining two tilesets together to form larger screens of forests like you said Drizzle, but i'm also thinking it could be nice to get use out of all three layers IE background, mid ground, and foreground of the forest. idk which one i'm going to do yet. we'll see!

so everyone suggested GIMP so i have downloaded it and i'm trying to figure my way around it right now. thanks guys!

also here is my little tree now. i'd say it's just about done!

Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks weird. i think the sky background is too bright.
Blue Pixel
SPY SAPPIN MAH FISH SANDWICH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks nice, a bit of advice for next time though

dont use random noise for shading, dithering usually makes a nicer effect.
and the tree can use some antialais near the edges to blend in better with the sky. just my opinions, hope it helps!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and the tree can use some antialais near the edges to blend in better with the sky. just my opinions, hope it helps!

Agreed. It looks way too straight and inorganic on the sides. It ends a little too abruptly.
Lucier
that one girl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no i definitely agree, i just put that blue sky background there to show where the black shading on the tree was a little better. :]
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
dont use random noise for shading, dithering usually makes a nicer effect.
Disagreed. Dithering is a type of texturing, not just a shading effect. The way Lucier did it here is still mostly uniform in a way, and gives a nice organic feel, and doesn't just comprise of dots, but also chunks of pixels.

About Anti-aliasing, is this tree to be layered? If so, don't anti-alias the edges that are going to be on layers 1 or 2, because it'll only screw up on tiles it's not meant to be anti-aliased on.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o. well it did it's job i guess. it's certainly more noticeable.
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Disagreed. Dithering is a type of texturing, not just a shading effect. The way Lucier did it here is still mostly uniform in a way, and gives a nice organic feel, and doesn't just comprise of dots, but also chunks of pixels.

I also disagree. It looks good to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: