Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Love for Xocolatl
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:53 pm    Post subject: Love for Xocolatl Reply with quote

I need help with testing for the next stable release, Xocolatl. There are already many new features and bugfixes.

I want to release the Xocolatl stable release somewhere close around october 1st, but for that to be possible, I need lots of people to post here and tell me "I tested [gamename] with the latest nightly build, and I couldn't find any serious bugs"
The Drizzle
Who is the Drizzle?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hero names in the Spell list are still having that problem when the text box is too small.

edit: Also, my right shift isn't working in the text box editor.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Xocolotl release of Vikings won't be ready for some time. May I recommend you postpone it until sometime after Halloween? This is because many new games are made for the annual contest, and most of them would make spiffy test cases to work with the Xocoltl version. There will also be a certain "something" being released for Hamsterspeak this month which should be put in Xocolotl, or at least be hosted on the wiki for newbies to download and practice with. I think you'll know what it is when you see it. Trust me, it is awesome in a can.

On a related note, the sooner we have a (decent) working sprite export feature, the sooner I can rip ALL of Viking's sprites for public use. It would probably be best to make absolutely everything available for newbies to pick through in a "full blown" version of Yggdrasil.

On a further note, Yggdrasil should ALSO include Wandering Hamster as well. Hint hint!
Big grin
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Drizzle wrote:
Hero names in the Spell list are still having that problem when the text box is too small.

Fixed.

The Drizzle wrote:
edit: Also, my right shift isn't working in the text box editor.

Hmmm... works fine for me. What about editing other strings besides in the textbox editor? Like global strings, or enemy names?

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
The Xocolotl release of Vikings won't be ready for some time. May I recommend you postpone it until sometime after Halloween?

That is a heck of a long delay when we are already so stable. I hate to not be able to work on any new stuff next month just because I was worried about breaking stability for Xocolatl.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
This is because many new games are made for the annual contest, and most of them would make spiffy test cases to work with the Xocoltl version. There will also be a certain "something" being released for Hamsterspeak this month which should be put in Xocolotl, or at least be hosted on the wiki for newbies to download and practice with. I think you'll know what it is when you see it. Trust me, it is awesome in a can.

Hmmm... you have my curiosity!

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
On a related note, the sooner we have a (decent) working sprite export feature, the sooner I can rip ALL of Viking's sprites for public use. It would probably be best to make absolutely everything available for newbies to pick through in a "full blown" version of Yggdrasil.

That will definitely be a post-Xocolatl feature. I had hoped to do it sooner, but when I looked closer at the code, I realized I would need to do a lot of evil pointer work, and a heavy cleanup of the entire sprite editor, which both introduce a danger of instability, so I want to do a stable release for the textbox borders, hero portraits, and ogg-silence-crash bug.

But I can see you have your heart set on Yggdrasil being the version that has the "full blown" Vikings of Midgard. I will break with the usual naming conventions if need-be to make sure that happens. Yggdrasil OHRRPGCE and Yggdrasil VoM will co-incide, even if I have to re-name the "Y" release, and release a non-alphabetical release afterwards

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
On a further note, Yggdrasil should ALSO include Wandering Hamster as well. Hint hint! :D

Hint taken-- we shall see :)
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I'll have an updated game file up in early October. Don't expect the story to continue further past the point it currently ends, but you might get to play around with the new borders and character portraits. This would go much faster, but there's so many characters!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:

Hopefully I'll have an updated game file up in early October. Don't expect the story to continue further past the point it currently ends, but you might get to play around with the new borders and character portraits. This would go much faster, but there's so many characters!

You are a lean mean unstoppable pixel-art machine!
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..A little bit off topic, James; but is still related:

We still have the old OHR palette up for download in the OHR wiki. Don't you think we need to upload the new one? Unless of course, there is an "export palette" feature that i missed..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..A little bit off topic, James; but is still related:

We still have the old OHR palette up for download in the OHR wiki. Don't you think we need to upload the new one? Unless of course, there is an "export palette" feature that i missed..?

We should probably have both palettes available on the wiki.
Chenzi
User was banned for this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, I'm loving the new features (even though the addition of portraits totally means I wasted about 13 hours), but there's one thing I'm dieing to see go into this upcoming release.

Is there any way we could fit in a feature that would let you choose what layer default passability is loaded from?

For example, I use layer 1 as purely background (different types of sky), layer 2 is ground, areas to move, and whatnot, layer 3 is overhead stuff. The sky in layer 1 is set to be unpassable from all directions, the ground is generally unobstructed, and layer 3 is mostly unobstructed.

Sadly, custom loads default passability from layer 1, forcing me to have to go and manually do all of the passability (very large maps :\). What I'd like is the option to be able to choose layer 2 or 3 (for compatability, I'd still have it default to layer 1).
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chenzi, I filed '' . bug_title('681') . '' for that. I wouldn't expect it in Xocolatl, but it is definitely dooable.
Chenzi
User was banned for this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3

Thanks James. It's kind of a bummer that it won't be out for the next release, but it's nothing that a little bit of elbow grease won't fix.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, how do I get the latest version of Wandering Hamster?

You know, the one in the "Let's Play!" that has borders, and the three guards spin around when they die?

....Or am I missing something?

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chenzi wrote:
Sadly, custom loads default passability from layer 1, forcing me to have to go and manually do all of the passability (very large maps :\). What I'd like is the option to be able to choose layer 2 or 3 (for compatability, I'd still have it default to layer 1).

Actually, the passmap is the OR'ed combination of all 3 layers. Just make your sky tiles defaultly passible, temporarily if needed.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
James, how do I get the latest version of Wandering Hamster?

You know, the one in the "Let's Play!" that has borders, and the three guards spin around when they die?

....Or am I missing something?

There has been no new release, but you can get the in-progress from subversion. see 'Subversion help' for instructions on how to use it. The subversion URL that you will want to grab is: svn://gilgamesh.HamsterRepublic.com/ohrrpgce/games/wander
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't exactly used the newest versions of OHR for a few reasons that seem little, but when you're very used to them being one way, and then they change, it's kind of a big deal.

The map editor is the main reason. It seems like over the releases, the key commands for navigating have gotten uber sensitive, and move when I barely tap the key. Another thing, why is the space+arrow keys for NPC placement directions not around anymore? I really like the updates, don't get me wrong, but this little stuff is a huge pain in the ass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: